Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I do think they could have made the actual poles a bit more attractive - at least the ones that are so prominent

View attachment 383855

And they still might. Probably a few things with the system that they might adjust after an introductory period. All it takes is one high up to say, you know that needs to be spruced up a bit.....and it will be.

FYI - some fencing came down around one of the Skyliner poles near the International Gateway.

I will admit, as excited as I am about this project as a whole, I do think they could have made the actual poles a bit more attractive - at least the ones that are so prominent

View attachment 383855
Yeah when they first showed the ones at CBR I thought the same thing. I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to deal with the continual upkeep but I think a paint job of some sort would have been nice something that either makes it blend more in with the surroundings or even just something maybe Disney related. Wishful thinking I'm sure or maybe unrealistic thinking.

And they still might. Probably a few things with the system that they might adjust after an introductory period. All it takes is one high up to say, you know that needs to be spruced up a bit.....and it will be.

fair point - i would expect that tat least the planter area would have some plants added to it, and likely ones to at least block from view the very base of the pole where it is attached to the concrete footer

Yeah when they first showed the ones at CBR I thought the same thing. I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to deal with the continual upkeep but I think a paint job of some sort would have been nice something that either makes it blend more in with the surroundings or even just something maybe Disney related. Wishful thinking I'm sure or maybe unrealistic thinking.

The vibrant colors that are CBR does probably make them stand out more over there.

Seeing all the progress definately is getting me excited. Doubt it will be running in the summer when we go but it will be cool to see nonetheless.

Random question for you. Do they typically load test these systems with all the chairs/gondolas loaded? Seems like it would be a huge PIA.

I like the new signature too ;).
They would need to load test them. As someone else noted, water barrels will be a good option for that.

Looks awesome.

While not a windy day, those palms are at least moving decently and the cabins are stable.
Good point! A loaded cabin will sway less while underway due to wind forces than an empty one.

Passport to the Parks was live earlier and it appeared like they are ramping up the testing with many more gondolas on the line. It was running in the rain and some wind and looked good!

What typically happens on a system like the Skyliner if people are too slow to unload from a cabin? I assume the entire system does not grind to a halt? Can they pull that one car off? Does it create a gap in the cars on the line?

What typically happens on a system like the Skyliner if people are too slow to unload from a cabin? I assume the entire system does not grind to a halt? Can they pull that one car off? Does it create a gap in the cars on the line?
The gap on the line would be irrelevant if they created one. They happen frequently. Slowing the line down is the normal reaction, not stopping it.

It depends. You can eStop the line, like if somebody stumbles or something. If you know someone coming into the station might need extra time you can slow it down even more. This system with the double bull wheel setup should segregate slower cars to the back, but we don't know for certain how that'll work.
The guest should disembark on one side and others load on the opposite side. So you in theory could allow them extra time to exit, and not fill that car on the load side, and send it away empty.
They may send empty cars anyway to give Riviera seats.

This system with the double bull wheel setup should segregate slower cars to the back, but we don't know for certain how that'll work.
There's only one bull wheel at each end of a line. The bull wheel is for the cable to turn around.

The cabins run on tracks in the station, off the cable. There are 2 turnaround loop tracks and a track switch at each end of a line at Disney, which is different from existing gondola systems.

There's only one bull wheel at each end of a line. The bull wheel is for the cable to turn around.

The cabins run on tracks in the station, off the cable. There are 2 turnaround loop tracks and a track switch at each end of a line at Disney, which is different from existing gondola systems.
Yeah, you are right, used the wrong terminology. My point being there are 2 routes for the cabins to go in station, and it isn't fully defined how they will work just yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter