Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Not about saving money really. They would likely still use those buses but elsewhere in places that have high demand.

Totally agree. However, this is kind of about the problem of getting bus drivers. And the problem about traffic and the vehicular chaos that exists throughout the resort. WDW is always short on bus drivers. They offer bonuses, decent pay and they still can't get and keep them. It's one cast member position that they are always desperate for. And they know that isn't going to change. So here comes the Skyliner so that they are short fewer drivers. They are still going to be short, but at least they are less desperate against future needs. So yeah, I expect those buses to remain in service. But I expect most of them to have been diverted from the Skyliner resorts.

Disney has to keep tackling the traffic problem as well. Building more roads doesn't really solve it. Too many people, too many rental cars, too much gawking. It doesn't matter how many signs they put up, or how cute they are, the problem is going to keep getting worse with every resort and park expansion. So you build Skyliners not just to need fewer buses going forward, but hopefully fewer cars.

It's why I think this is stage 1 for transportation. New monorails are stage 2. Then comes stage 3, which will somehow connect some resorts, AKL and at least AK together. Maybe another Skyliner, maybe something else. It's going to be a while yet. But it's inevitable. They can't keep adding buses and roads and parking lots and new bridges and interchanges. It's a losing battle.

Totally agree. However, this is kind of about the problem of getting bus drivers. And the problem about traffic and the vehicular chaos that exists throughout the resort. WDW is always short on bus drivers. They offer bonuses, decent pay and they still can't get and keep them. It's one cast member position that they are always desperate for. And they know that isn't going to change. So here comes the Skyliner so that they are short fewer drivers. They are still going to be short, but at least they are less desperate against future needs. So yeah, I expect those buses to remain in service. But I expect most of them to have been diverted from the Skyliner resorts.

Disney has to keep tackling the traffic problem as well. Building more roads doesn't really solve it. Too many people, too many rental cars, too much gawking. It doesn't matter how many signs they put up, or how cute they are, the problem is going to keep getting worse with every resort and park expansion. So you build Skyliners not just to need fewer buses going forward, but hopefully fewer cars.

It's why I think this is stage 1 for transportation. New monorails are stage 2. Then comes stage 3, which will somehow connect some resorts, AKL and at least AK together. Maybe another Skyliner, maybe something else. It's going to be a while yet. But it's inevitable. They can't keep adding buses and roads and parking lots and new bridges and interchanges. It's a losing battle.
Completely agree. There are a lot of transportation changes across the resort yet to come.

If they are still going to offer bus service as reported by WDW Magic..I just don't think that taking 1 or 2 buses out of the rotation here and there is going to save them that much money. They still need to have enough drivers and buses ready for when the weather turns bad without taking them from other resorts and parks. The last thing they want are drivers in a hurry...which from my experience ..they never are :rolleyes:

My guess is that if they continue running buses they will consolidate bus routes and run them less frequently. For example, combine CBR, Pop and AoA on one bus and run it once per hour instead of every twenty minutes, and possibly even combine the two parks on the one bus. So instead of having two buses showing up at three resorts every 20 minutes, it’s one bus going to each resort once an hour. It wouldn’t be convenient, and they don’t want it to be, but it would be something for those who cannot ride the gondola, and allow them to ramp up more easily if the gondolas go out of service. The only other transportation option that could be considered comparable in regards to height and claustrophobia issues is the monorail, and the monorail resorts do have alternatives (boats or walking). There is a precedent for duplicate transportation options.

This will ultimately come down to marketing and branding the Skyliner resorts the same way as the monorail resorts, if you book one of those resorts on either loop you will be aware of the main transportation offered and it's benefits.
I don't believe that they will just flip a switch and do away with the amount of buses they normally use...or I will need to buy some mickey bars :)
They always add and reduce buses based on the needs of day so the only real way to gauge will be the amount of time between buses...if it goes from 20-30 minutes to 45-60 or more, then they have reduced the buses.
I do think they will open the skyliner and study the traffic patterns before changing anything, in other words they will see what the acceptance or reluctance will be.
Maybe they will tout the benefits of the skyliner soon..I really haven't seen a serious all out campaign yet, just a few press releases about it and one where they were saying you could easily go to the boardwalk area for dinner.
I have seen a lot more unreasonable fears and skepticism that they will need to overcome.
This is a totally different transportation system that will need to be sold in a way that will make guests comfortable, relaxed and happy to be there.
I have 4 trips planned between 2 weeks from now and the end of the year all at POP and will only use the gondola for Epcot and DHS hopefully for SWGE opening.

I don't think anyone has said that they won't. All people have said is that the frequency of buses will be reduced given the new capacity offered by the gondolas.

People who are familiar with this project have said that Disney's goal was to eliminate buses on these routes. Obviously that plan could have changed, but it was the intention at one point.

If Disney was improperly loading buses there would bigger issues. Yes they pack the buses but they are doing nothing wrong doing it the way they do.

Yep. At my hospital the bus accident where employees fell out the front door of the bus and had broken legs etc was from overcrowding but with people packed in beside the driver and by the front door of the bus. That was where the serious injuries occurred. The bus was t-boned by a dump truck and almost tipped over before landing back on all 4 wheels. Most of the people behind the line were ok. They erred in letting people keep getting on past the line. (Not enough busses for shift change and people not wanting to be late for work). I have never seen Disney let people stand in front of the line behind the driver.

These kinds of discussions always make me wonder why some people try so hard to make it sound like Disney doesn't know how to run their business as well as they do. Such a strange, but regular, thing here online.
I completely agree..which is why I don't think the buses will change without advance notice at the time of booking a room at the skyliner resorts..in the same way as they gave notice about the parking fee
"still mad about that :furious:"
and the current warning about not being able to get into SWGE.
You only need to look at 2 other current threads..EMH going away and paid FP's to see how rumors here turn into the "telephone game" with people unreasonably believing that Disney will do these without advance notice..if at all...well maybe not EMH.

My guess is that if they continue running buses they will consolidate bus routes and run them less frequently.
That was my guess too. Instead of having to add all the buses at Riviera they can take those out of the equation and combine with CBR for EPCOT/DHS. And I also wouln't be surprised if they combined AoA and POP for DHS/EPCOT.

I don't think anyone has said that they won't. All people have said is that the frequency of buses will be reduced given the new capacity offered by the gondolas.
I’m pretty sure the general consensus on this thread way, way back was that buses were definitely being replaced at the skyliner resorts for HS and Epcot.

I completely agree..which is why I don't think the buses will change without advance notice at the time of booking a room at the skyliner resorts..in the same way as they gave notice about the parking fee
"still mad about that :furious:"
and the current warning about not being able to get into SWGE.
You only need to look at 2 other current threads..EMH going away and paid FP's to see how rumors here turn into the "telephone game" with people unreasonably believing that Disney will do these without advance notice..if at all...well maybe not EMH.

I don't think anyone has said they'd stop running busses without any notice. I'm assuming that notice would come at some point after they have an opening date for the Skyliner.

I completely agree..which is why I don't think the buses will change without advance notice at the time of booking a room at the skyliner resorts.
Advance notice is unnecessary. The mode of transportation offered is an operational detail. Disney gave no advance notice when they changed to the new dispatch protocol for buses. They also didn't give advance notice when they changed which resort buses were shared with which resorts.

I’m pretty sure the general consensus on this thread way, way back was that buses were definitely being replaced at the skyliner resorts for HS and Epcot.
Go back and check. You'll see that most people were not saying anything about buses being replaced entirely by the Skyliner.

Go back and check. You'll see that most people were not saying anything about buses being replaced entirely by the Skyliner.

I did go back. Back to July. I think this the last time I participated in this thread and this is what I was told or what was told to others.

Nobody here said Disney MUST replace buses. I am saying they ARE doing it. Its not that hard to understand. Same concept as the monorail. They don't have a bus from monorail resorts to MK.

Disney won't be legally required to have an alternative to the Gondolas anymore than ski resorts aren't required to have alternatives. And they aren't spending all this money on Gondolas only to keep full bus services running. The busses will be cut, the same as they don't run busses for Resorts with boat transportation.

Everything I know about this project says they will be eliminate bus service to the parks serviced by Skyliner.

Yes there will be less buses, plenty of guests will use the gondola's so less need. I have just been saying I don't think the time waiting for a bus will change much...maybe 30 minute intervals.
It's not reasonable to expect guests who for whatever reason..medical, fear of heights, scared small children, etc..to have to wait much more than they would for the other buses out front going to MK and AK.

Yes there will be less buses, plenty of guests will use the gondola's so less need. I have just been saying I don't think the time waiting for a bus will change much...maybe 30 minute intervals.
It's not reasonable to expect guests who for whatever reason..medical, fear of heights, scared small children, etc..to have to wait much more than they would for the other buses out front going to MK and AK.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but I would fully expect anyone choosing not to use the gondola's to DHS or Epcot will most definitely have to wait longer for a bus than they would to the parks where you can't take the gondola.
Fewer buses would mean longer wait times. If you have a viable/better option offered to you, but for whatever reason you choose to take the bus, I doubt (would hope not) Disney will have the normal amount of buses just waiting to take those guests to DHS.

I would be in charge and everyone would hate me. :) I would put those buses on maybe an every 40 or 50 minute departure schedule. If you don't want to take the gondola, just follow the scheduled time for the bus to DHS.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but I would fully expect anyone choosing not to use the gondola's to DHS or Epcot will most definitely have to wait longer for a bus than they would to the parks where you can't take the gondola.
Fewer buses would mean longer wait times. If you have a viable/better option offered to you, but for whatever reason you choose to take the bus, I doubt (would hope not) Disney will have the normal amount of buses just waiting to take those guests to DHS.

I would be in charge and everyone would hate me. :) I would put those buses on maybe an every 40 or 50 minute departure schedule. If you don't want to take the gondola, just follow the scheduled time for the bus to DHS.
They won't have the same number of buses. But the wait time doesn't have to go up with fewer buses since there will be fewer people using them.

They won't have the same number of buses. But the wait time doesn't have to go up with fewer buses since there will be fewer people using them.

Well, kind of depends on when you get there I suppose. How would wait time not go up in this instance? You walk up as a bus is pulling away - since there are fewer buses, you will now have to wait longer for the bus to complete it's route (possibly), instead of having another bus on it's way.

On the CTA, when they use fewer purple line trains due to fewer customers, you are most certainly waiting longer for that stupid train! :D The red line, which has 8 zillion customers, seems to come every 6 minutes because they have more trains.

The fewer people is the exact reason they should make a schedule of every 50 or whatever minutes. It would be a waste of resources just to have buses waiting for customers. This way, guests know exactly when the bus will come and there are no buses being wasted. :) Then, if buses are coming often with no guests, Disney can use that data to decrease the bus use even further if needed. There's always the option of Uber/Minnie Vans if guests want to go at a certain time and won't take the gondolas.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter