Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Just back from WDW. Seeing the construction first hand got me thinking. The main station at Hollywood Studios is very far along and seeing how little progress has been made on the Epcot station (pics on this link Ratatouille construction pictures from the air https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ouille-construction-pictures-from-the-air.htm ) I am wondering more now if there will be a staged opening where one of the 3 lines (HS) will be in testing or operation before the others (Epcot)?

Just back from WDW. Seeing the construction first hand got me thinking. The main station at Hollywood Studios is very far along and seeing how little progress has been made on the Epcot station (pics on this link Ratatouille construction pictures from the air https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ouille-construction-pictures-from-the-air.htm ) I am wondering more now if there will be a staged opening where one of the 3 lines (HS) will be in testing or operation before the others (Epcot)?

Thought the same thing ......

Pulling and splicing the cables is a very specialized operation. It's quite possible they will wait until all the stations are done so they can bring in a crew to do this just once.

The splicing is specialized, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things, the crew that does it can do one line in florida, fly off to colorado or wherever for another job, then back to florida for lines 2 and 3. The Route from DHS to CBR is very short and straight, so it could be done earlier and at least testing. I would think the limiting factor will be the CBR station. If it can be used in stages, with 1 out of 3 lines functioning, then you'll have your answer.

The splicing is specialized, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things, the crew that does it can do one line in florida, fly off to colorado or wherever for another job, then back to florida for lines 2 and 3. The Route from DHS to CBR is very short and straight, so it could be done earlier and at least testing. I would think the limiting factor will be the CBR station. If it can be used in stages, with 1 out of 3 lines functioning, then you'll have your answer.

As others have pointed out - the majority of the specialized gondola work is likely to be done next winter. Most chair lifts at ski resorts are built during the summer months - and the vast majority of ski resorts in the world are in the Northern Hemisphere - so it would make a lot of sense that Disney will probably wait to run all the lines come November / December when those crews are not occupied elsewhere. I think this is the most likely scenario is that you see construction catch up on the other routes, and six months from now you see all the cable run in quick succession.

We noticed that as well. Wonder if they just don't want 3 full teams working at each site.

But yea it might be nice to get one going sooner instead of all at once later.

As others have pointed out - the majority of the specialized gondola work is likely to be done next winter. Most chair lifts at ski resorts are built during the summer months - and the vast majority of ski resorts in the world are in the Northern Hemisphere - so it would make a lot of sense that Disney will probably wait to run all the lines come November / December when those crews are not occupied elsewhere. I think this is the most likely scenario is that you see construction catch up on the other routes, and six months from now you see all the cable run in quick succession.
I was one of the people suggesting that early on. While it makes logical sense, business is business, and we don't know when Joey the haulrope splicer has openings on his schedule.
The two short routes will be a walk in the park. The one from IG to CBR will be a pit of a pain to coordinate and take more time in general. I can see them knocking out the two short ones during holes in scheduling regardless of time of year. It is a big enough project that the scheduling for Florida may outweigh what Whistler, Vail or Chamonix are doing.
They are getting that circuit between DHS and CBR done well ahead of the other 2 lines. I can understand why the one in the lake at AoA is more involved. I would think there would be more of a rush on the IG, boardwalk lot and riviera stations if they planned to string them all consecutively.

I just noticed that LiftBlog is listing the Skyliner as a 10-MGD system. That indicates cabins seating 10 passengers (5 across on each bench.) I couldn't find any reference to their source, so I don't know whether this is confirmed, or just an assumption by the bloggers.

The Skyliner is using Doppelmayr's latest D-Line technology. It seems that one of the selling points of D-Line is the availability of more comfortable 10-passenger cabins, compared to the older technology.

I just noticed that LiftBlog is listing the Skyliner as a 10-MGD system. That indicates cabins seating 10 passengers (5 across on each bench.) I couldn't find any reference to their source, so I don't know whether this is confirmed, or just an assumption by the bloggers.

The Skyliner is using Doppelmayr's latest D-Line technology. It seems that one of the selling points of D-Line is the availability of more comfortable 10-passenger cabins, compared to the older technology.

The Liftblog guy knows his stuff, if he says that's what it is I tend to believe him.

Liftblog has provided very detailed and accurate information on the system and excellent analysis on performance and unique aspects of the Disney system as details and construction photos have come out.

He appears to have excellent contacts at Dopplelmyer and routinely posts on another location.

A link to the May update from LiftBlog - very informative:
https://liftblog.com/2018/05/06/disney-skyliner-may-update/#more-58814

Some of the comments in there are a reminder of the scale of the project:

"Three of the highest capacity lifts America has ever seen continue to take shape this spring at Walt Disney World ..."

"In the center of the below photo, you’ll notice what might be the longest lift terminal ever built in America, at least until the Skyliner angle stations are completed in a few months. I count approximately 180 tires on the DHS station alone."

also with regards to questions about strollers and wheelchairs:
"Look closely and there are two distinct turnarounds on the east end of the station with chain conveyors between them. Something very unique is afoot with some sort of split flow scenario, presumably to achieve very high throughput and better serve guests with strollers and wheelchairs."
DcY4S9XU8AESnB3.jpg

Some of the comments in there are a reminder of the scale of the project:

"Three of the highest capacity lifts America has ever seen continue to take shape this spring at Walt Disney World ..."

"In the center of the below photo, you’ll notice what might be the longest lift terminal ever built in America, at least until the Skyliner angle stations are completed in a few months. I count approximately 180 tires on the DHS station alone."

"Look closely and there are two distinct turnarounds on the east end of the station with chain conveyors between them. Something very unique is afoot with some sort of split flow scenario, presumably to achieve very high throughput and better serve guests with strollers and wheelchairs."
DcY4S9XU8AESnB3.jpg
I just realized that I posted the same thing as you without the details. Whoops

Yes - I picture something like the TSMM mechanism that allows them to take a car completely off-line for wheelchair / handicap loading. They'll have a separate load area for those with wheelchairs /ECVs and strollers that can't be easily folded up. The wait for this might actually be slightly longer - since they'll likely be only able to take off one car at a time, and it might only be certain cars that come off, but it will let the rest of the cars continue on their way.

The longer load area is likely just to give people more time to load/unload than at a typical ski resort, where typically you have maybe 30 seconds to unload, and 30 seconds to load. They may have decided that having 10 people including kids and seniors they want to allow maybe 45 seconds each way.

All the outcry's of "I'm scared of heights", I think this is going to be a very popular thing.

Yes - I picture something like the TSMM mechanism that allows them to take a car completely off-line for wheelchair / handicap loading. They'll have a separate load area for those with wheelchairs /ECVs and strollers that can't be easily folded up. The wait for this might actually be slightly longer - since they'll likely be only able to take off one car at a time, and it might only be certain cars that come off, but it will let the rest of the cars continue on their way.

The longer load area is likely just to give people more time to load/unload than at a typical ski resort, where typically you have maybe 30 seconds to unload, and 30 seconds to load. They may have decided that having 10 people including kids and seniors they want to allow maybe 45 seconds each way.

All the outcry's of "I'm scared of heights", I think this is going to be a very popular thing.
The modern gondolas I've ridden (admittedly just a few) IIRC load and unload on the curve of the turnaround. As we've discussed before, you couldn't load on the inner curve without crossing the travel path of cabins going on the outer curve. So I think the extended length is just to allow unloading and loading on the straightaway, where the inner loop and outer loop cabins are on the same path.

I noticed on the aerial views that the inner loop is fairly tight, while the outer loop is somewhat squared off, so that the cabins would be travelling a straight line while loading on the outer. I'm not sure why this is necessary if the cabins on that loop will be stopped while loading; maybe just to ensure they're facing in a particular direction when stopped. It might also allow 2 cabins to be taken offline at the same time, one loading while another is unloading, or just waiting it's turn to move into the load/unload position.

If the fold-up seats are standard on all cabins, any cabin could be pulled off for wheelchair loading. As long as one goes on at the same time one comes off, spacing would be maintained. OTOH, they will need to track which cabins have loaded special Guests, so that they can be diverted onto the outer loop at their destination. I imagine this would be built into the operating software -- possibly new ground for Doppelmayr. If a cabin comes into the station needing special unloading while another is still loading, the following cabins could be accelerated more quickly while exiting the station to fill the gap until the loading cabin is ready to rejoin the parade.

Or -- the double loop could be for some other reason we haven't thought of, in which case all of this is moot. :)

Last edited:
Could be that every third cabin has an extra tooth, to automatically route via the outer loop. One coming off while another feeds onto the main line would maintain spacing on the main haul rope. A steady stream of ADA cabins would then be available to be used by handicap / strollers or general public without interrupting the overall flow.

Could be that every third cabin has an extra tooth, to automatically route via the outer loop. One coming off while another feeds onto the main line would maintain spacing on the main haul rope. A steady stream of ADA cabins would then be available to be used by handicap / strollers or general public without interrupting the overall flow.

This is what I think is most likely. Basically like every 10th cabin (or 20th, whatever the # Disney decides) goes onto the outer loop - and at the same time a cabin on the outer loop swings into line to replace it. The reason I think this is otherwise it will be very tricky to maintain spacing - for anytime a handi-cabin goes back into the loop, it can only go back if one has come off. The easiest way to keep that going is to just have it done at regular intervals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter