Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I am pretty sure the reason for the buses needing the wheel chairs etc strapped is FDOT.
Not exactly. First, it's US DOT, not FDOT. The regulations require buses to be have wheelchair securements installed. The transit operator (Disney) has the option of requiring all wheelchairs to be secured, or leaving the decision to the rider. Disney has decided to require securement for safety.

Well, of they were planning on only taking every X number of cabs off the loop for handicap access then they might not have had them all that way. Makes it more likely that they'll just take cabs to the "handicap" loop as they need them.
I just think it’s simple to make them handicap accessible. Have the seats fold up, make sure any standing poles aren’t too close together (if these even have poles in them)

I just think it’s simple to make them handicap accessible. Have the seats fold up, make sure any standing poles aren’t too close together (if these even have poles in them)
If all loading is roll-on (doesn’t need a CM to bring a ramp or kneel a bus), and doesn’t require chairs being strapped in, then I’m sure many could roll themselves in the same amount of time of below-average walkers.

Like HA rooms, there are varying degrees of accessibility, so not everyone may need the same accommodation.

One interesting thing I noticed on the photos is that the drive wheels all have valve stems on them, so they are air inflated as opposed to solid tires-- could you imagine having the job of checking the air pressure and attending to proper inflation? I'm sure they could have sending units on the tires such as in cars, but still that's a lot of tires... Hey Bill-- fill 2, 18, 21, 37 ..... etc...

If all loading is roll-on (doesn’t need a CM to bring a ramp or kneel a bus), and doesn’t require chairs being strapped in, then I’m sure many could roll themselves in the same amount of time of below-average walkers.

Like HA rooms, there are varying degrees of accessibility, so not everyone may need the same accommodation.

Likely many can do it themselves, but a LOT Of ECV drivers seem to be renting them for the first time, and not to be insulting, but are often older folks that don't know how to drive their ECVs. So I really think that ECVs will generally be a case where the CM is required to load them. Wheelchairs I would think they will give the option of people to wheel themselves on.

I still don't get how this will work at the Riviera station.

I’m still really unsure about the gondola system. I hope I’m wrong, but I fear it’s going to be a complete bust. And I’m not a fan of the sections going right past the Boardwalk to get to Epcot. I feel like it’s going to ruin that area if it’s visible from the actual Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is my favorite non-park location at Disney World and I don’t like the idea of gondolas passing over.

I’m still really unsure about the gondola system. I hope I’m wrong, but I fear it’s going to be a complete bust. And I’m not a fan of the sections going right past the Boardwalk to get to Epcot. I feel like it’s going to ruin that area if it’s visible from the actual Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is my favorite non-park location at Disney World and I don’t like the idea of gondolas passing over.
The Gondolas are hidden from the Boardwalk itself, I was concerned about that as well, but they go around the entire area instead of through it. My bigger concern is it impacting the pictures of the France pavilion, right now there's a Gondola tower right in the middle of the Eiffel Tower, and I really hope they're hidden from the France expansion area.

Attachments

• IMG_6016.JPG
    IMG_6016.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 53
The Gondolas are hidden from the Boardwalk itself, I was concerned about that as well, but they go around the entire area instead of through it. My bigger concern is it impacting the pictures of the France pavilion, right now there's a Gondola tower right in the middle of the Eiffel Tower, and I really hope they're hidden from the France expansion area.
Well that’s no good either. :sad2:

One interesting thing I noticed on the photos is that the drive wheels all have valve stems on them, so they are air inflated as opposed to solid tires-- could you imagine having the job of checking the air pressure and attending to proper inflation? I'm sure they could have sending units on the tires such as in cars, but still that's a lot of tires... Hey Bill-- fill 2, 18, 21, 37 ..... etc...

And on a related note, would any one flat tire stop the whole system?

And on a related note, would any one flat tire stop the whole system?

The tires are so close together, the system would probably still work ok as long as two in a row didn't go flat. Also remember that tires normally go flat because something punctures them which is unlikely to happen in this application.

I suspect that with the Ratatouille ride going up, they will add additional trees and cover to block the tower from view.

Haven't read through the thread but thought I'd give some info I got from a Minnie Van driver this week. Probably as good as a bus driver but here it is anyway. I had made a comment about how many more towers are up just in the past month.
He said 80% or so of the towers were up. Said many of the rest are reaching the point where they are going to have to go so close to roads to get them constructed they will probably have to shut down roads to install them. So they'll slow down quite a bit

Haven't read through the thread but thought I'd give some info I got from a Minnie Van driver this week. Probably as good as a bus driver but here it is anyway. I had made a comment about how many more towers are up just in the past month.
He said 80% or so of the towers were up. Said many of the rest are reaching the point where they are going to have to go so close to roads to get them constructed they will probably have to shut down roads to install them. So they'll slow down quite a bit
Not sure why towers would require road closures. I would agree probably about 80% are up though.

Not sure why towers would require road closures. I would agree probably about 80% are up though.
Perhaps when cables are being installed they would block certain areas. But they're taking their time to get to that point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!