Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I'm a few days behind, but I wanted to comment on something inside this article.

It says, "The gondola tower by the France pavilion now partially hides the Eiffel Tower when viewed from this angle."

The accompanying pictures show a view for across the lagoon looking under a tree and then zoomed in multiple times. Basically they walked all of world showcase staring at the gondola tower until they found the one spot where it was obstructing something. Guess what else guys if you move five feet to the right a tree is obstructing the Eifell tower. If you move another 20 feet then there is a lightpost with speakers in the way.

Come to think of it, I can't see the Eifell Tower from the entrance of the park because they put that damn giant ball right in front of it. let's tear it all down so we have unobstructed views.

I'm a few days behind, but I wanted to comment on something inside this article.

It says, "The gondola tower by the France pavilion now partially hides the Eiffel Tower when viewed from this angle."

The accompanying pictures show a view for across the lagoon looking under a tree and then zoomed in multiple times. Basically they walked all of world showcase staring at the gondola tower until they found the one spot where it was obstructing something. Guess what else guys if you move five feet to the right a tree is obstructing the Eifell tower. If you move another 20 feet then there is a lightpost with speakers in the way.

Come to think of it, I can't see the Eifell Tower from the entrance of the park because they put that damn giant ball right in front of it. let's tear it all down so we have unobstructed views.

That's so true. And it's obstructed for the two seconds it takes to walk to a different angle. :rotfl:

But again I'm one of "those" people who probably never even noticed the Eiffel Tower as I entered through World Showcase.

This wouldn't have been a problem if Disney had painted that tower clear instead of green.

Not really - the whole post is photos from the area of the new Skyliner station. I agree that the obstruction isn't a big deal, but they didn't go searching for that place, it was right in the same place where all the pictures were taken.

Yea as Chris mentions, those pics are not even "inside" EPCOT. They are on the walking path from BW/BC to IG. And yes-they did stop when the gondola "lined up" with E Tower.

Not really - the whole post is photos from the area of the new Skyliner station. I agree that the obstruction isn't a big deal, but they didn't go searching for that place, it was right in the same place where all the pictures were taken.

Here is a pic "inside" EPCOT of SE being "blocked" by the monorail and beam. :rolleyes:

enhance

Last edited:
As others have stated - this photo in discussion is from outside the park. I think that in itself should be enough for everyone to relax about it. Disney basically does not worry about "show" so much when you are outside the theme parks themselves. If I'm staying at the Polynesian I can see other resorts, the monorail, the ferry boats, fishing boats, buses - all kinds of things that do not go with the THEME of the Polynesian, but they are all part of the Disney experience.

Now you can argue that any of the main theme park entrances are part of "on-stage" as well, but if I turn in a 360 angle from that same photo I can see (a) a hotel themed to early-20th century Atlantic city, (b) a hotel themed to late 20th century New England, (c) two hotels themed to birds and fish, and (d) a whole bunch of boats not related to any of the themes.

And let's not forget the Epcot itself is NOT themed to be "the countries", it's more themed around a world's fair in which each of the countries has a representation. If I am in England having a beer at the rose and crown, I can still see Japan and Germany and America...etc. And it does not disrupt the theme of the park.

Basically I think people get too worked up about disruption of theme.

As others have stated - this photo in discussion is from outside the park. I think that in itself should be enough for everyone to relax about it. Disney basically does not worry about "show" so much when you are outside the theme parks themselves. If I'm staying at the Polynesian I can see other resorts, the monorail, the ferry boats, fishing boats, buses - all kinds of things that do not go with the THEME of the Polynesian, but they are all part of the Disney experience.

Now you can argue that any of the main theme park entrances are part of "on-stage" as well, but if I turn in a 360 angle from that same photo I can see (a) a hotel themed to early-20th century Atlantic city, (b) a hotel themed to late 20th century New England, (c) two hotels themed to birds and fish, and (d) a whole bunch of boats not related to any of the themes.

And let's not forget the Epcot itself is NOT themed to be "the countries", it's more themed around a world's fair in which each of the countries has a representation. If I am in England having a beer at the rose and crown, I can still see Japan and Germany and America...etc. And it does not disrupt the theme of the park.

Basically I think people get too worked up about disruption of theme.

Overall I agree with you - though still hate that one can see the Swolphin from inside EPCOT/World Showcase

Overall I agree with you - though still hate that one can see the Swolphin from inside EPCOT/World Showcase

They're pretty gaudy, in my opinion. I don't care that I can see them, but I don't like looking at them either. I enjoy seeing the other hotels, though. For instance, spotting the Floridian from Astro Orbiter or seeing Wilderness Lodge kind of hidden off the monorail are neat for me.

They're pretty gaudy, in my opinion. I don't care that I can see them, but I don't like looking at them either. I enjoy seeing the other hotels, though. For instance, spotting the Floridian from Astro Orbiter or seeing Wilderness Lodge kind of hidden off the monorail are neat for me.

It's deifnitely not just that I can see "a" hotel but that the style of them seems to clash and just the height and architecture is so specific and, yeah, "gaudy" is a good word. When it fits better I actually like it - like, I love that you can see the Contemporary Resort while riding the People Mover ... seeing these just really shakes me out of the "World's Fair" vibe or whatever of World Showcase

They won't go up $50 overnight. It will be a progressive increase. So maybe once open we see an increase of $10 a night. Then months to a year later it goes up again, and so on. They won't go from charging $120 a night to $170+ right off the bat.

You might be surprised at how fast that change comes. It might not be $50 in the first year. But I'd wager just about anything it will be $50 over 3, and possibly 2.

Let's wait for 2020 numbers. 190 ? 200? It's going to happen.

I could see that - but I think at least half that increase is the Galaxy's Edge Impact (which will hit all resorts to some extent) not simply because they have the gondolas

And it might be $50 for resorts in 3-5 years, irregardless of the skyliner, based on how Disney has been known to creep up hotel rates.

They also have done other pricing changes like making Friday's more expensive than in the past, and changing value/peak seasons as well. I also believe room categories like preferred/lake view have changed at a different rate.

So value season (what's left of it) may only go up 3%, but Fall in a preferred could go up 5-10%...It's hard to really get a good handle on it, which is exactly how they or any business would want it.

ETA 2018 prices at POP were up 9.7% vs 2017 in the Regular season. That's without the Gondola, obviously. I could see it going up another 10%, easy..Just couldn't see myself spending that on a value resort

Last edited:
And it might be $50 for resorts in 3-5 years, irregardless of the skyliner, based on how Disney has been known to creep up hotel rates.

Its going to be $50 more than they would have increased the prices.

We all know for a long time Disney has been looking at getting away from the "Value, Moderate, Deluxe" model (well, a lot of us know that). With this recent refurb of Pop, plus the Gondola, you are going to see what was more traditionally "moderate" pricing there. Something much more in line with where AoA is going to be (which will also be going up).

I mean, if you don't believe me you haven't been watching what disney has done in recent years. They aren't going to be leaving any money on the table here, and the Gondola is going to increase the perceived value of these rooms considerably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!