Disney Skyliner

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
I'm sure most of you have seen the threads about the Skyliner accident (there are at least three that I know of), but holy poo - the "Disney can do no wrong" crowd is really out in full force over this. (I don't know if this can be discussed here - feel free to remove it if not. It's just an observation on my part.)

Yeah, I do not know how long this post would last over here, but I saw differently. It could depend on what time and what you read, as to oppose what I did.

I didn't read it all, but read only a few pages last night and a lot of people seem livid at Disney ignored all the signs of what could have went wrong, went ahead, and within a week this happens. Not only that, but how shady it all has been with Disney stating no reports of injuries, but people were leaving in stretchers, saying it was a power outage, but there was a crash (however that is debatable as a power outage could have caused the crash). Also, someone pointed out (do not know if this is true, as I do not have this much knowledge on Disney's operation), that another issue is the fact that Disney hasn't increased the numbers of their Fire / Emergency Dept staff for almost 30 years, which is a huge issue, because since then there has been a dramatic increase of theme parks, as well as, resorts since then. Once again, do not know if that is a fact that is sourced somewhere, or this is someone's "insider knowledge".

Either way, PR nightmare, and Disney is going to have to chill, put a lot of TLC back into it, and test before anyone trusts this ride system again. Those that wanted to ride it are terrified to do so, those that already did are terrified to do so again, and those were on the fence about riding it, well you get the point.

Of course, I did detect a little of the "Disney can do no wrong" crowd in some of the responses to those that pointed out Disney's issues. However, a lot of people seemed turned off.

EDIT: The official post that was created to discuss the incident on the Disney side is now closed due to the fact that the debate is gotten hotter and hotter, as well as others decided to do some millennial bashing.

Last edited:
I'm sure most of you have seen the threads about the Skyliner accident (there are at least three that I know of), but holy poo - the "Disney can do no wrong" crowd is really out in full force over this. (I don't know if this can be discussed here - feel free to remove it if not. It's just an observation on my part.)

This site in general is a "Disney can do no wrong" site. I go to Miceage for my fill of "*****ing" about the Disney ways lol.

Disney is going to have to chill, put a lot of TLC back into it, and test before anyone trusts this ride system again. Those that wanted to ride it are terrified to do so, those that already did are terrified to do so again, and those were on the fence about riding it, well you get the point.

Eh, there are plenty of people who would be fine riding tomorrow. Many posts wanting it to be up and running now. They don’t want that so they can ignore it; they want to ride it.

I was never planning to use it, so I’m unaffected.

Before universal starts patting itself on the back, though, they aren’t without incident. https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/travel/universal-orlando-roller-coaster/index.html

I was there for this, watching the news helicopters circle.

There might be plenty of people who would be fine with riding it now, but there is/was quite a lot that do not want to as well. Whether one side is leaning more towards yes, then no, I'm not sure. However, I do know that a lot of people that have doubts before have even more doubts than ever as well from things I've read.

Another incident I would compare this to in terms of Universal would be the HE incident where it was non-operational and there were 911 calls released of people reporting to passing out, freaking out, and trying to break out of the cabins. However, it wasn't nearly as long as Disney's incident.

(source: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/people-are-fighting-911-calls-from-hogwarts-express-released and https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-hogwarts-express-evacuated-20170817-story.html)

Neither is perfect, but Disney kind of messed up on this one. Building something that automatically doesn't have air conditioning, how long it took for it resolve / rescue guests, and telling people misinformation multiple times (even when there were photos and other information stating otherwise) is not good. People make mistakes and it's not as if it's unforgivable, but Disney definitely needs to work on this a little bit.

Eh, there are plenty of people who would be fine riding tomorrow. Many posts wanting it to be up and running now. They don’t want that so they can ignore it; they want to ride it.

I was never planning to use it, so I’m unaffected.

Before universal starts patting itself on the back, though, they aren’t without incident. https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/travel/universal-orlando-roller-coaster/index.html

I was there for this, watching the news helicopters circle.

I think the difference is how it was handled. For one thing, Disney PR issued at least two false statements before going to "no comment".

I think the difference is how it was handled. For one thing, Disney PR issued at least two false statements before going to "no comment".

That’s incredible!!! Who on earth thought they’d get away with those ludicrous statements.

I did read that part........and I agree with you......I saw lots of the same comments you did.

I missed them--what were the false statements?

There were no reported injuries - People were seen put on stretchers and leaving in ambulances
The cause of the issue was a power outage - A few of the gondolas crashed into each other

I haven't read into it lately so I do not know if they did, or did not report anything new since now reopening the gondolas. However, I can see them crashing due to a power outage technically, but it's the fact that gondolas did crash and there were photos were out, while at the same time, Disney still informed others it was just a power outage, but didn't mention anything else is what makes it seem like a false statement. Also, from what I've read from guest reports prior to the incident, guests were in gondolas in brief periods in which the gondolas would stop (I would imagine for EVCs for example) and there were no crashes. So, I do not necessarily think just, because the gondolas would stop (for example due to a power outage) they would crash either.

In the world of 24hr news cycles people want information now. IMO, and based on some experience, the initial comments made are usually wrong (either all of it or parts of it). That is why there is an investigation and investigations take time. If a company does release a statement it should be very bland. Factual statements come at the end; otherwise, what was the point of the investigation.
I'm not afraid to ride it. I'd be far more worried about taking a bus than a gondola.
There will always be some that will defend no matter what and some that will criticize no matter what. I feel the problem, again, goes back to the 24hr news cycle. Add to that social media and soooo many half truths and rumors get mixed up with facts. In the end, bad stuff can happen to good people.
To some this will sound like a defender of Disney. It's not. I'm a defender of reality. People engage in far more dangerous activity on a daily basis than riding a gondola.

Because there are people that believe Disney can do wrong, I have made money investing in Disney.

"Relax folks, it was just a minor fender bender". :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts