Disney starts to disperse bonuses

That's a good thought too, but if a company has a bad year are the executives going to give back some of their salary? The front line jobs (theme parks, restaurants, hotels) are critically important to the success of the Disney company. A little recognition in the form of wages is only appropriate.

Most executive pay has a bonus element to it that is driven by performance - the company’s, their division, their personal, etc

I know at my company we’re have a “target bonus” which then is multiplied by those factors. In 2017 we did not hit our targets so the company factor will be less than 1 and likely my take home pay will be less this year than last (haven’t gotten my personal factors yet)

I do think CMs (especially those that have proven themselves) should be paid more - but at least the entry level positions are pretty unskilled and you get good training and something good for the resume

Thanks for the info on executive pay, but I fear you missed my point. I don't recall the last year that Disney lost money so balancing future profitability on the backs of the lowest wage earners just seems like a douche move to me. YMMV.

But Disney offered raises - so yes, they are more profitable and Disney offered higher pay ... the union felt it was not enough though

Thanks for the info on executive pay, but I fear you missed my point. I don't recall the last year that Disney lost money so balancing future profitability on the backs of the lowest wage earners just seems like a douche move to me. YMMV.

That's not how exec pay works either, it was just a simplified example. Exec pay has targets set. They are all generally for increasing profitability in some way. Failure doesn't mean the company lost money, it could mean the company didn't keep its rate of increase of profitability or any one of dozens if not hundreds of measurents. Again, labor has little relevance to making these goals. They also have the most to lose from an incentive pay schedule. At the level of skill required for most front line Disney CMs, a true carrot and stick pay schedule would be disastrous.

That doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic about the poverty wages paid by any company paying within 50% or even 100% more than our Federal minimum wage. I really am and find it awful and a failure of our society that there are so many people willing and needing to work for so little. However, until that problem is resolved it will continue to happen.

Disney's Net Income in 2017 was down 4% from 2016.
Cash provided by operations in 2017 was down 6% from 2016.
So Disney was not as profitable in 2017 as they were in 2016 yet they are still offering employees a 6% increase over 2 years, 3% back pay starting from Sept 2017 and a $1000 bonus.

Employees make $X/Hr as the primary compensation. Executives receive a minimum in weekly salary, but large bonuses and stock options. These last two items are where the big money is. Also, the reporting requirements of the IRS require companies to express compensation packages in full value terms at the time of awarding them.

"The Parker Agreement provides that Ms. Parker will receive an annual salary of $700,000, commencing as of January 1, 2013, and that for each year thereafter the annual salary for Ms. Parker will be determined by the Company in itssole discretion but shall not be less than $700,000."
"Depending on performance, the actual amount payable as an annual bonus toMs. Parker may be less than, greater than or equal to the stated target bonus (and could be zero)."
Source:
http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycompany.com/2012/annual/10kwrap-2012.pdf

"Robert Iger, the chief executive of Walt Disney Co., saw his total compensation decline 17% in the recently concluded fiscal year to $36.3 million, according to the company's latest proxy statement filed Friday to the Securities and Exchange Commission. The drop from last year's $43.9 million was due in part to a smaller cash bonus to Iger that Disney said was the result of an "absence of growth" in the fiscal year. Iger, who is 66 and has extended his contract with Disney to 2021, received a base salary of $2.5 million, a performance-based bonus of $15.2 million and equity-based compensation (including stock options) valued at $17.3 million. His compensation also includes sums for personal air travel, security and matched charitable contributions."

Source:
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-iger-compensation-20180112-story.html

The referenced paragraphs on Bob Iger show that performance DID impact his salary, by 17%. How many of the rank and file took a 17% pay cut?
Bottom line is executives make out on bonuses and stock (whose value only matters when sold!) versus weekly pay checks of the rank and file.

It would be really nice if Disney employees could enter into some sort of profit sharing. Broken down into categories such as hotel, restaurants, parks etc. But its just not going to happen.

Executive pay is tied to company performance in most public companies. Don't get me wrong, executive pay packages are ridiculously out of control, but they are variable on company performance in a way the laborers' pay simply isn't. I don't think most line workers at Disney would like it if their pay structure was $12 an hour the next year when the company met certain goals but generally $10 if goals aren't met and $9 if the company loses money. 1) You can't live that way and 2) for the most part front line workers have almost no control over whether the company makes money or not.

Executive pay packages actually can vary by 30% or more. A general worker, even middle management, just can't have that uncertainty. So you give up reward for taking less risk. Execs, who actually set the policies that cause the company to profit or lose, take the risk and reap (way too much in my opinion) the reward or pay (way too little in my opinion) the penalty.

When they are already wealthy, or when their "Risk" is between an insane salary or an obscene salary, there isn't any real "Risk" there.

It would be really nice if Disney employees could enter into some sort of profit sharing. Broken down into categories such as hotel, restaurants, parks etc. But its just not going to happen.

I'm sure Disney would be happy to trade fixed cost pay for some kind of variable along these lines. The Union is smart enough not to do that because, frankly, the membership would suffer greatly in some years. If you are saying it should simply be on top of current pay, we need to go back to the original economic premise. As long as Disney can fill those jobs at these levels, they won't pay more. Public corporations don't have good hearts. They have policies. Those policies promote earnings.

It's why I absolutely despise the way our current legal system continues to give more "human rights" to a corporation. They aren't human, and paying taxes doesn't make them so.

When they are already wealthy, or when their "Risk" is between an insane salary or an obscene salary, there isn't any real "Risk" there.
Yes, from the very top's point of view this is correct. But most incentives dive all the way down through to the middle management ranks. They aren't getting insane numbers. Certainly at Iger's level a 30% drop in bonus shouldn't matter. But there is only 1 Iger, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of executives at much lower ranks. For some, a bad bonus will definitely cut into their lives. Not in the same way losing a job does to a laborer, but it will certainly be felt.

Disney's Net Income in 2017 was down 4% from 2016.
Cash provided by operations in 2017 was down 6% from 2016.
So Disney was not as profitable in 2017 as they were in 2016 yet they are still offering employees a 6% increase over 2 years, 3% back pay starting from Sept 2017 and a $1000 bonus.
That's a bit misleading. The Parks and Resorts division saw and 8% increase in revenues and a 14% increase in operating income in FY2017 over FY2016. While their media networks continued to be a hot mess in 2017 financially, the Parks and Resorts division was pouring lots of revenue and profits into the coffers. Also, the fact that income increased a lot more than the revenues points to efforts to keep costs suppressed relative to changes in revenues... and since the largest cost item for most companies is their payrolls that gives you a good idea why they want to continue to keep park and resort wages suppressed.

Many Americans (including me) have not even seen a 1% raise annually over the last several years.
Per the Fed, wage growth in the US last year average over 3% (even within the hospitality and leisure sector). So clearly most wage earners in the US got more than <1% in wage growth in 2017.

Many posters on the DIS boards complain about Disney greed when they raise ticket prices, room prices, dining plan prices, etc but on the other hand laud them for smart business practices when it comes to keeping wages low for front line employees. I think I see now... if it costs us money, it's greed - if not then it's smart business.

I'll offer a suggestion - allow guests to purchase additional fast passes and use that money to pay the wage increases. Disney doesn't lose a dime and the customers pay the freight. I'll move on to solving international trade problems now. :)

Many posters on the DIS boards complain about Disney greed when they raise ticket prices, room prices, dining plan prices, etc but on the other hand laud them for smart business practices when it comes to keeping wages low for front line employees. I think I see now... if it costs us money, it's greed - if not then it's smart business.

I'll offer a suggestion - allow guests to purchase additional fast passes and use that money to pay the wage increases. Disney doesn't lose a dime and the customers pay the freight. I'll move on to solving international trade problems now. :)

These aren't necessarily the same posters.

Per the Fed, wage growth in the US last year average over 3% (even within the hospitality and leisure sector). So clearly most wage earners in the US got more than <1% in wage growth in 2017.
The average Median Income in 2007 was actually higher than 2016.
The average per capita Income in 2007 was only 1% less than 2016.
Source:
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/us/

So I stand by my statement that many Americans have not seen an Annual increase of %1 per year over the last several years. Otherwise these would be at least 10% higher than 2007.
Plus Healthcare costs were much lower in 2007. The average American family probably has less disposable income than they did in 2007.

Last edited:
The average Median Income in 2007 was actually higher than 2016.
The average per capita Income in 2007 was only 1% less than 2016.
Source:
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/us/

So I stand by my statement that many Americans have not seen an Annual increase of %1 per year over the last several years. Otherwise these would be at least 10% higher than 2007.
Plus Healthcare costs were much lower in 2007. The average American family probably has less disposable income than they did in 2007.
There's one small problem here... the link you provided refers to "real" dollars by default. That's after being adjusted for inflation. Use the "nominal" setting on your link to see actual dollars. When you do that you'll see that the Per Capita Income for 2007 was $26,688 and in 2016 was $31,128. That's a 16.6% increase by my math.

On the subject of Disposable Income per Capita, per the Fed, even on a real dollar adjusted basis it's higher now than in 2007.

The unions at Disney are negotiating nominal dollars and not real dollars. In fact COLAs are usually the core of union wage increase demands.

You are no doubt correct that "many" Americans have not seen an increase of 1% over several years... but per the data that's "argument by anomaly" as they are the exception and not the rule. Many others have gotten a lot MORE than 3% over the last several years. But what does either fact that have to do with the demands from the bargaining representatives of CMs?

Last edited:
There's one small problem here... the link you provided refers to "real" dollars by default. That's after being adjusted for inflation. Use the "nominal" setting on your link to see actual dollars. When you do that you'll see that the Per Capita Income for 2007 was $26,688 and in 2016 was $31,128. That's a 16.6% increase by my math.

On the subject of Disposable Income per Capita, per the Fed, even on a real dollar adjusted basis it's higher now than in 2007.

The unions at Disney are negotiating nominal dollars and not real dollars. In fact COLAs are usually the core of union wage increase demands.

You are no doubt correct that "many" Americans have not seen an increase of 1% over several years... but per the data that's "argument by anomaly" as they are the exception and not the rule. Many others have gotten a lot MORE than 3% over the last several years. But what does either fact that have to do with the demands from the bargaining representatives of CMs?

"Real dollars" (Dollars adjusted to a common base via inflation calculations) are what matters. I know from personal experience in such negotiations, that unions often actually talk about "real" dollars in their negotiations. They highlight inflation and its impact on their wages, and use wage increases tied to inflation as a status quo, anything above the rate of inflation as a wage increase, anything below, as a wage decrease.

The same is true for wage growth, when its discussed by professionals, academics, etc, we generally use "real dollars".

Wage growth is on the upswing in the last two years. The low unemployment rate generally leads to this. But the long term trend is still terrible, and while I'd like to be more optimistic about the current situation and administration's impact on wages, the reality is that this is largely the continued trend from the last 8 years of job growth and economic growth/recovery. We are getting very very late in the economic cycle and wages are just now starting to rise (they should have before this), its likely a downturn is quite near around the corner. The Tax policy was the exact opposite of sound economic decision making, which would be to increase taxes while times are good (pay down debt, set it aside for future expenditures) and cut them while times are bad (to stimulate the economy). What it has done is only increased the sugar high the economy is experiencing, supercharging an already booming economy, and while that is good in the short run politically, it means when the crash comes, its going to come even harder than it would have and the government will have fewer tools to respond with (less ability to cut taxes if they are already cut, less ability to lower interest rates if they are already low - though they are creeping up, less ability to inject direct stimulus if you are already heavily in debt and running massive deficits).

Um, anyway, I don't know how this turned into one of my economics lectures, but it did. I have slides, citations and case studies to go along with it if you'd all like :)

One of the best things that COULD happen to help soften the coming blow would be REAL wage growth at the bottom end of the economy. Increases in the stock market, tax cuts for corporations and the wealthiest, really make the US more vulnerable to whats coming, particularly when the US was already very competitive (despite what the nay sayers like to say by pointing to "official" tax levels instead of "effective" levels of taxation"

"Real dollars" (Dollars adjusted to a common base via inflation calculations) are what matters. I know from personal experience in such negotiations, that unions often actually talk about "real" dollars in their negotiations. They highlight inflation and its impact on their wages, and use wage increases tied to inflation as a status quo, anything above the rate of inflation as a wage increase, anything below, as a wage decrease.
I completely understand that when it comes to evaluating the net impact that a given proposal will have on their members, but my point was that when an offer is laid on the table it's quoted in nominal dollars and when the offer is discussed with the rank and file and the public the changes in the pay scale are cited, as I am aware of, in the nominal terms and not discounted for projected inflation.

I completely understand that when it comes to evaluating the net impact that a given proposal will have on their members, but my point was that when an offer is laid on the table it's quoted in nominal dollars and when the offer is discussed with the rank and file and the public the changes in the pay scale are cited, as I am aware of, in the nominal terms and not discounted for projected inflation.

Inaccurate. I can't think of a single case I have been involved in where inflation and the "real" impact of the wage offer has not been part of the discussion re: the unions position / response.

So, if I understand you, in this article all of the figures cited are quoted in an inflation adjust manner and are not nominal amounts and rates??? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-union-disney-election-20171220-story.html

From what I gather from that article, those figures are cited in nominal amounts, but that does not mean that the negotiations do not include an inflation adjusted discussion. This is not uncommon. Just because the reports we see discuss nominal figures does not mean that inflation is not part of the consideration in discussing those nominal amounts. Indeed in my, rather extensive, knowledge/experience both amounts are part of the discussions behind the scenes, but public reports often focus on nominal amounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter