Disney Store Merchandise for Adults

Kennywood

Kennywood
I understand that the primary focus of Disney merchandise is toward children. After all, if the kids want something, they'll bring the parents.

But adults also like Disney merchandise. But the merchandise available for adults in the Disney stores is almost non-existent. Oh, you might find some t-shirts and knick-knacks, but 99% of the stuff is for kids.

The Disney stores only have so much room, so I can understand that they want to stock as much as possible toward their primary demographic. So, what can be done if adults want something?

My idea is that people can go to the disneystore.com site, order whatever they want, and then have it shipped FREE to their local Disney Store. The stores get shipments from a warehouse anyway. Why couldn't they simply add packages for customers who have already ordered and paid for things? Yes, delivery might take 4-6 weeks, but at least adults could order something, get it shipped free, and pick it up at their local Disney store.

I understand that the primary focus of Disney merchandise is toward children. After all, if the kids want something, they'll bring the parents.

But adults also like Disney merchandise. But the merchandise available for adults in the Disney stores is almost non-existent. Oh, you might find some t-shirts and knick-knacks, but 99% of the stuff is for kids.

The Disney stores only have so much room, so I can understand that they want to stock as much as possible toward their primary demographic. So, what can be done if adults want something?

My idea is that people can go to the disneystore.com site, order whatever they want, and then have it shipped FREE to their local Disney Store. The stores get shipments from a warehouse anyway. Why couldn't they simply add packages for customers who have already ordered and paid for things? Yes, delivery might take 4-6 weeks, but at least adults could order something, get it shipped free, and pick it up at their local Disney store.

Yeah, when we had a physical Disney Store they pretty much had one half of a table for adult t-shirts. The website though has tons of stuff, so that's your best bet.

I remember the good ole days when first of all we had two local Disney Stores (now, we have none) AND it had amazing merchandise for adults. Everything from watches to pajamas to snow globes to kitchen stuff ......it was glorious. My husband did all of the shopping for me there. Sigh.

Oh and the Christmas mugs and ornaments......special ones for each year..

I just placed an order online and was surprised that ship to store wasn't an option. As you said, it seems like a simple concept, would the logistics really be that difficult? I enjoy the Disney Store WAY MORE than my children do! Last time I was there, there was a table of adult shirts and an endcap of mugs, that was it for adult stuff. If they had a bigger home goods display at the Disney Store I might visit more. Our nearest Disney store is at least an hour away, depending on traffic through the city, we go maybe once a year because it's a pain in the butt to get to from here and my kids don't really like it anymore. One of these days I'm going to leave them at home and go by myself!

Hello neighbor and fellow Pittsburgher :wave: Your Calvin and Hobbs cartoon always makes me smile. I guess South Hills Village is your DisneyStore as well.

Yeah I agree. A few months ago I was happy that the local Disney store had at least a decent section of kitchen items at least. But when I went last week..it was back to virtually nothing for adults other than adult tees for the most part.

However, it's been that way for a long time at that particular Disney store. I found the outlet locations to have more variety. Sadly I have no outlet close to me.

I don't mind purchasing online but I don't really want to do clothing online and I hate shipping fees (and promos to remove shipping often would have me purchase way more than I was intending).

Part of the problem is that most Disney stores are located in malls, and 'ship to store' can become a real hassle, space wise. In addition, you'd have to be able to have someone go pull the order from the back (some stores aren't connected to their 'back room', and have to move items to the store front through back hallways), and retail stores usually don't get an excess of spare hours.

Similar reasoning why most places don't do layaways anymore either; too many people putting too much stuff in the back. I've worked for both Kmart and Walmart, and from September to mid December, we had to block out 40-50% of the back for layaway alone. Not to mention that often people put stuff in layaway, and either return the merchandise or remove it from the layaway; and if the item is 'out of season' by that time, it's sold for a loss or not sold at all and returned to the warehouse, when it might have sold for full price if it had been on the floor.

Similar reasoning why most places don't do layaways anymore either; too many people putting too much stuff in the back. I've worked for both Kmart and Walmart, and from September to mid December, we had to block out 40-50% of the back for layaway alone. Not to mention that often people put stuff in layaway, and either return the merchandise or remove it from the layaway; and if the item is 'out of season' by that time, it's sold for a loss or not sold at all and returned to the warehouse, when it might have sold for full price if it had been on the floor.
I think that's why Wal-Mart started installing self-pick up machines/towers. I'd honestly much rather do that, when I can, than go to the back, wait for someone to notice I'm there (even completing the instructions that tell how to alert someone rarely worked in the past), wait for them to go get the item, etc. Obviously not really feasible for the Disney stores though.

I would much rather pay for shipping than have to go to the mall and pick something up. I can’t remember the last time I went to our local mall and don’t want to have to go now.

Our Disney Store closed 2 years ago making the closest being a Disney outlet 3 hours away. I'd prefer to have an item mailed.

I would much rather pay for shipping than have to go to the mall and pick something up. I can’t remember the last time I went to our local mall and don’t want to have to go now.
lol I don't like to go to the mall much either (Christmastime is quite the zoo) that said the shipping charges can really add up. It's like purchasing things through LTD Commodities (which is why I'm careful about my purchases).

However, I think for most there's a point where your sanity comes into play :rotfl: so if that means you don't care how much you spend on shipping so long as you don't have to get out and go to X place then you're golden. I think we've all had that feeling at some point.

I don't have a local Disney store. In fact, my entire state has one store and it's two hours away. :confused3

Part of the problem is that most Disney stores are located in malls, and 'ship to store' can become a real hassle, space wise. In addition, you'd have to be able to have someone go pull the order from the back (some stores aren't connected to their 'back room', and have to move items to the store front through back hallways), and retail stores usually don't get an excess of spare hours.

Now, instead of layaway, they take up all that space with "buy online and pick up in store".

I'm really surprised at the lack of adult-geared merchandise ya'll are listing in your local stores. Maybe I'm just lucky, but we have a few Disney stores around here, including an outlet, and I always feel like we've got a decent selection. Aside from the regular t-shirts, they have other cute clothing for adults, including jackets, mugs, ornaments, kitchen ware, pins, stationary, pet accessories, and the collector dolls. I guess I never realized that all stores don't carry the same stuff from place to place!

Wow I’ve actually been really enjoying trips to the Disney store and seeing all the stuff they have for adults now! I’d say at least a third of the store is adult stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!