Disney Stores getting a makeover

Bud Ice

Disneyland Knowledge
Inside the new prototype Disney Store

The store is about as far away from the original vision of the Disney Store as you can imagine. No longer an extension of the warm family friendly character driven Disney brand with its design, it is stark, focused on technology and interactive features. Even the facade reminds me of an Apple technology store more than something where you would expect magical memories to be made.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/11/13/inside-new-prototype-disney-store-century-city-ca/

I like the look of them. I find the current stores way to dark and cluttered.

They really need to push the parks and resorts streaming stuff to get people going to the parks

EatonDisneyStore.jpg

I miss the old days...

I like the look of them. I find the current stores way to dark and cluttered.

They really need to push the parks and resorts streaming stuff to get people going to the parks

I agree that the current theme is a bit too dark, but I'm not a fan of this remodel. As @Buckeye218 said, "sterile". Take out all the Disney stuff and you would have no idea it was a Disney store.

You may be thinking, "well duh Mike!". But look at the picture @Irish_Mike posted. You get rid of all the Disney stuff and the colors stand on their own. It's so recognizable.

I can definatlty see this type of store working in Europe. While the current Disney stores are busy, they are mainly seen as a toystore for the princess mad tween girl. This type of design would defiantly attract more people. The layout being like other mall stores would work in Europe, as people like the familiar and known.

The toned down Disney branding would be another good thing for Europeans, as they like Disney but not the in your face branding.

My three little girls want to go to the Disney Store for two reasons: to play in the castle and watch song clips in the "movie area." The technology stuff might be appealing, but those kinds of things in stores are often broken or someone is hogging them.

My three little girls want to go to the Disney Store for two reasons: to play in the castle and watch song clips in the "movie area."

and that is the problem, and why the marketing department are doing a makeover. Its great for little girls but they are obviously loosing revenue in other demographics. Their product has target market ie the technology, all the Pixar, Star Wars etc but the stores are not attracting that target market.

Seems like it goes along with the hotel remodel theme of, "could be any store/hotel room in the world".
Soooooo like the hotel remodel ... the new stores will also have Murphy beds, completely enclosed baths/showers and coffee makers (but no alarm clocks)?
and that is the problem, and why the marketing department are doing a makeover. Its great for little girls but they are obviously loosing revenue in other demographics. Their product has target market ie the technology, all the Pixar, Star Wars etc but the stores are not attracting that target market.
I second this. There's an awful lot of pastels and pink in the current layout. Maybe not so appealing to the SW demographic or older collectors (and I was always surprised to find the amount of high-end collectibles in these stores even though they looked like they mostly catered to the 12 and under crowd). The old look is distinctive - not a personal fan of the 90s color scheme and confetti carpet - but it has been around for a couple of decades. I get the criticism against going neutral to be everything to everyone (and in the end not really appealing to anyone) - but I don't mind the refresh.

EatonDisneyStore.jpg

I miss the old days...

These displays and figures are what made it Disney. I agree with the article in saying that the prototype displays can be found in any other store. They look like a display table/shelve with Disney march thrown on top. Originality is absent. It is rather sad to see the modern and less Disneyness of the store. Change isn't always bad, but there are definitely a few things wrong with this prototype. We will see how this plays out and how the public reacts.

My store was supposed to be remodeled for the past 15 years or remodels they had planned. Went in today to see the new branding on the products

The problem with disney stores is that they refuse to stock anything that can't be bought from a poorly lit shanty factory out back behind Shanghai Disneyland in quantities of less than 100,000,000 units.

Nothing will change that...the best hope is that brick and mortar goes away and online shopping allows for specialization from a central distribution point...

Every year I mourn the loss of Christopher radko disney ornaments...and sure enough...it hit this week again.

Ho ho ho

The Disney store near me closed ages ago, it looked exactly like the one Irish_Mike posted above. The only one I've been to recently already looked more like the new version.

They still get all my money on mugs and Sketchbook ornaments online.

My local Disney Store is a combination of sorts. There is definitely a modern technology influence, but still looks like the Disney store we all know and love

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter