Disney stroller rental or bring your own for a 6 year old who should be able to walk a lot?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Disney stroller rental or bring your own Umbrella stroller (Maclaren),, for a 6 year old who should be able to walk a lot? Staying at WL.

The advantage of having your own stroller is that at least for the days you do MK you can just push her to the boat and back to your room, no need to relocate her if she’s sleepy. You also already have it so no extra cost! So it really just depends on how hard she is to push in the stroller you have. If it’s hard to push and you can carry her to a bus or boat if she’s tired then I’d rent in the parks.

I had to carry my six year old out of MK in Feb (we rented a park stroller) and even though she’s only 43 lbs that’s still a lot! I was tired by the time we finally made it back to our room! She fell asleep on the boat at the end of the night and even our 7 and 9 yr old were dragging. It’s not just all the walking (which is a lot) it’s also the late nights for fireworks.

My 6.5 year old made it without a stroller, but we weren't doing open to close. We did open-ish until mid afternoon most days and might pop back in with the kids, or would leave the kids behind with the in-laws.

The one day she did make it to close, we took a midafternoon break before heading out after dinner.

At that age mine wouldn't get in a stroller if you offered him cookies. If your child doesn't usually use a stroller they might protest. When mine was younger, three or so if he was too tired and for whatever reason we didn't go back to the room, I rented one. There was no question of me carrying him, he was too heavy. I don't think he ever fell asleep in it but did usually fall asleep on transportation. I just woke him, since I was a single mom he was pretty good about it. I think planning on breaks, go back to the resort or even just rest in the park should be OK. Then play it by ear if you need to rent one do, don't hesitate.

We will be taking our double stroller this fall for our (will be) 6 and 3 year old. I have contemplated using an out of park stroller rental company after talking to one of my clients. She used Kingdom Strollers and during her stay one of the tires had an issue. She contacted them and they met her at the park to replace the stroller. Yes it would cost more than using our own but the convenience to know that things would quickly get fixed is a game changer.

My son was 6.5 the last time we went and I’m pretty sure wouldn’t be caught dead in a stroller. We went in August (so…super hot), but we took an afternoon break each day and he did great! Although, I think he’s an even bigger Disney fan than I am and was just so completely thrilled to be able to go back after the pandemic. We let him have a decent amount of input into the planning and I think that makes him even more excited!

I’d bring a stroller just to carry the backpack of drinks/snacks. And maybe a kid now and again. You could always park it in a land , walk around to bunch of rides and then move it to next area.

But I am talking about a smaller stroller. I would hate some of those monster strollers.

I’d bring a stroller just to carry the backpack of drinks/snacks. And maybe a kid now and again. You could always park it in a land , walk around to bunch of rides and then move it to next area.

But I am talking about a smaller stroller. I would hate some of those monster strollers.
That's what I am thinking

It might be cheaper to rent a stroller if your child is just going to be using it for the Disney parks but I'm not sure if you can take it out of the parks for Disney resorts and Disney Springs. There are some websites where you could rent a stroller for big kids around 6 to 12 years old.
Also I'd recommend getting one of those wrist tethers a wrist tether is 2 wrist straps that both parent and child wears on their wrists and it has like a cord or a strap from parents wristband to child's wristband. The wrist tether is recommended to so that the child and parent are kept close to each other in crowds and it's recommended when your child wants to walk and be out of the stroller.

That's what I am thinking
That's what we do. We'd park the stroller until it was time for a big/long walk. The kids eventually start walking the long walks and we start only bringing it for extra long or extra-hot days, then not at all. A maclaren doesn't take up much room, so it wasn't ever a big deal for us to slip it in the car or gate check it on a flight.

My 6 year old spent a lot of time with the stroller canopy pulled all the way down and a towel covering the gaps last trip, so I think he'll have a better trip with a stroller to hide in next time.

I am going to Disney with my 6-year old in June (next month .. cannot wait). Any advice on being able to borrow someone's stroller who is leaving it at the end of their trip (does not want to travel with it), and then we would do the same after we are done?

Thanks

I am going to Disney with my 6-year old in June (next month .. cannot wait). Any advice on being able to borrow someone's stroller who is leaving it at the end of their trip (does not want to travel with it), and then we would do the same after we are done?

Thanks

Check the Freecycle groups for the resorts on Facebook. They may do that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter