Disney Suing Redbox

I didn't know this existed, but will definitely hit up RedBox soon as I don't see this ending well for them.

I didn't know this existed, but will definitely hit up RedBox soon as I don't see this ending well for them.

Actually, the law supports Red Box...so, in the end, it will probably lead to Disney actually working with Redbox and its business (or having to deal with this situation long term)...

Redbox is owned by Apollo global management, a 232 billion dollar company. Disney will probably have to work out the same kind of deals other studios have with Redbox.

Wow .. I need to hit a RedBox! Is it available just via the boxes or via their online website as well?

Answered my own question .. you can order them online ..but have to pick the code up at the box.
Since I missed Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in the theatres and its only a $1 more than I could get it "streaming" via my satellite company, why not?

If you are interested in just the digital copies of some of Disney's latest movies at over half the price, I'd give it a try while you can. :)

I am def. going to do this now! Had no idea this was a thing! Movies like Lone Ranger which I can't quite bring myself to buy look real good at $3 for digital!

I am def. going to do this now! Had no idea this was a thing! Movies like Lone Ranger which I can't quite bring myself to buy look real good at $3 for digital!
Ooof. I'm going on the other way on this one. If they aren't paying me to watch it, Lone Ranger costs too much!

HAHAHA! I am almost right there with you! But DH likes it for some odd reason. $3 is my limit though! :rotfl:

For weeks the Redbox app would show that "Thor: Ragnarok" was Coming Soon. Now, it's nowhere to be found on the app or on the website. I wonder if this lawsuit has anything to do with that.

"Coco" does still show as available on Redbox, though, so it may not have anything to do with the legal battle.

It's still odd, though.

So does the download code give you a file you have to store on your computer? Or does it allow you access it online through something that can be streamed to the TV?

I see on Twitter that redbox has responded to several people asking about this and they say the movie is currently being stocked at redboxes and should be available by the end of the week. So, I guess I created a controversy out of nothing.

So does the download code give you a file you have to store on your computer? Or does it allow you access it online through something that can be streamed to the TV?
You get a code that you can download and/or add to moviesanywhere and then watch from any device.

We have purchased several of these and they are a great deal. We don’t typically purchase movies, but this was a no brainer.

A couple of weeks ago, a Federal judge denied Disney's injunction. A new hearing, scheduled for March 5th, was postponed earlier this week.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-redbox-injunction-20180221-story.html

This section of the article was interesting:
In its November lawsuit, Disney accused Redbox of reselling the codes in "blatant disregard of clear prohibitions against doing so." Disney noted that its combo packs are marked with the phrase "codes are not for sale or transfer," and that Redbox is violating its terms and conditions.

But Judge Pregerson, in a 26-page order, said that the language on the packaging does not create an enforceable contract between the studio and the buyer. Disney has not demonstrated that its breach of contract argument is likely to succeed on the merits, the judge said.

"Disney's Combo Pack box makes no suggestion that opening the box constitutes acceptance of any further license restrictions," Pregerson wrote in his order.

The judge also sided with Redbox's argument that Disney was misusing its copyrights by trying to restrict the reselling of copies of its movies after they've already been sold at retail.

Article on the postponement:
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/hearing-on-redbox-motion-to-dismiss-disney-lawsuit-postponed/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!