Disney the segway and the ADA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how to do the quote thing, but when Sue provided the information about the ADA/Segway and the link, she DID say that it was the Segwow site and not the Segway site. I have found this thread to have had argumentative tones which isn't what this board is about. It's about helping each other, and talking about "what if's" and thinking out loud about a situation that's helpful to brainstorm. No one wants to see rights eroded that we have all fought so hard to achieve, but I also like to play devil's advocate and put myself in another's shoes, even another's shoes that are as large as Mickey's. I also assisted Disney in the ramp/backing-up issue as the manufacturer of my chair ( permobil) states never to back up due to the power base of the chair. I am also unable to back into a lift type bus due to ventilator hoses and other equipment that could get stuck in the lift ( just like a ripped pocket!) but as Lisa mentioned it did take years to get the policy amended and many "discussions" with bus drivers and bus supervisors. We spoke....they listened. I took the time out of my family vacations to educate people because I felt it was necessary for all wheelchair users to be able to operate their equipment safely and that's probably some of what needs to happen with the Segway. Just as another thought...., when someone first posts to the boards I don't feel the warm fuzzies when the new person jumps in and challenges everyone who answers their posts. I expect that we will try as always to have a reasonable discussion and understanding of each other's perspectives and not a challenge that we should all read up on the law or that we should "know better". I also agree that something is lost when a discussion is in print only, but just think about it. If you first meet a group of people, how do you want to present yourself? ---Kathy

dclfun said:
I'm not sure how to do the quote thing, but when Sue provided the information about the ADA/Segway and the link, she DID say that it was the Segwow site and not the Segway site.
Just to clarify, I thought it was the Segway site when I posted it. I did provide a link to the site where I got the information from, so it was possible for someone to go to the source and read it themselves. The language that site uses on their FAQs does sound like the are the official Segway site, so it is sort of misleading.
When I found out it wasn't the official site, I did edit my post to clarify that.
dclfun said:
And, when I found out I have found this thread to have had argumentative tones which isn't what this board is about. It's about helping each other, and talking about "what if's" and thinking out loud about a situation that's helpful to brainstorm. No one wants to see rights eroded that we have all fought so hard to achieve, but I also like to play devil's advocate and put myself in another's shoes, even another's shoes that are as large as Mickey's. I also assisted Disney in the ramp/backing-up issue as the manufacturer of my chair ( permobil) states never to back up due to the power base of the chair. I am also unable to back into a lift type bus due to ventilator hoses and other equipment that could get stuck in the lift ( just like a ripped pocket!) but as Lisa mentioned it did take years to get the policy amended and many "discussions" with bus drivers and bus supervisors. We spoke....they listened. I took the time out of my family vacations to educate people because I felt it was necessary for all wheelchair users to be able to operate their equipment safely and that's probably some of what needs to happen with the Segway. Just as another thought...., when someone first posts to the boards I don't feel the warm fuzzies when the new person jumps in and challenges everyone who answers their posts. I expect that we will try as always to have a reasonable discussion and understanding of each other's perspectives and not a challenge that we should all read up on the law or that we should "know better". I also agree that something is lost when a discussion is in print only, but just think about it. If you first meet a group of people, how do you want to present yourself? ---Kathy
I agree entirely with you Kathy. You stated everything very well.

The OP didn't say what the purpose of this thread was, so we can't know for sure, but it does not appear (at least IMHO) that the primary purpose was to brainstorm or listen to what we had to say. Most of the people coming to this board are looking for assistance and one of the ways we do that is brainstorming; posters will use some of the ideas that come out in the discussion and discard others. We don't get very many posts where someone is trying to "advocate" or argue for their position.
You are exactly right that this thread has an arguementative tone (it actually looks much more like one that would have appeared on the old Debate Board than a typical thread we see on this board.)

I want to thank everyone who participated for not letting this thread become the type of thread that made the Debate Board ultimately go away. It could have easily gone that way.

SueM,

Again, thanks for the open conversation.

To be frank, I thought there might be some discussion and debate but never imaganed it would have gone on for so long.

That happens when two sides have opposing positions.

The purpose of the thread was simple, I stated that after 25 years I can't go back for a while.

Then it became education. Then it started to get beaten.

I will have contact about WDW official position and then see where we are at.

Again thanks to yourself, Chuck and the others here for your input.

Have a good day,
Alan

Thank you, alan for a sort of "Wrap up" and I think at this point it is the time to close this thread (pretty much everything has been discussed and I'm not sure there is anything new to add). If anyone thinks otherwise, or has some burning need to say something (in a nice way), let me know and I can re-open it for you.

I just want to add that there are different ways to get to the same end.
My preferred way is education. Some people's prefered way is confrontation.
I don't think there can always be a meeting point between the two groups, but hopefully, they can at least listen to each other.

I first saw the Segway the day "the secret of Ginger" was revealed on the Good Morning America show. I could not see a lot of benefit for most able bodied individuals to use one (other than fun). I could see a lot of possibilities for certain people with disabilities. I could lots of risks and benefits that need to be weighed and lots of things that had to be worked out (things like storage when not being used, recharging since the first ones had a pretty short battery range).

The Segway would not be at all useful for my DD because of the nature of her disability and, even though the iBOT wheelchair is very cool, it would not work for her because she lacks some of the abilites needed to use it. (Plus, it looks like a hard sell to insurance companies/MA because of the cost).
But, as many of you know, I work in a Rehab setting and see people who have things like MS, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, some of whom the Segway would be useful for.
I did searches on the internet periodically to see whether people with disabilities were using them and who was using them. After doing a Segway tour at Ecpot with my DH, I could see some real advantages for some people with disabilities and some shortcomings - it is a lot of work to stand up on one of those for any period of time, so they would not be useful for everyone with disabilities just because that person can stand (and, yes, I saw seats for them several years ago).

I still think I still think education is the way to go if the people advocating want to get the Segway accepted all over. One of the problems I've seen (that those of you who are advocating use of Segways for people with disabilities need to be aware of) is that OTs, PTs, Physicians tend to recommend what they know and are comfortable with. We've seen that with DD and communication devices and the mounts for holding one onto her wheelchair. I know a lot more about those things than most of the therapists because I am willing to think outside the box and look for alternatives. Many aren't.
The other thing I've noticed, is that coming to some entity with an idea of what their concerns are (and some thought of how to mitigate those concerns) is very helpful. That way, they don't go into "defense mode" right away and you have some ability to influence the process (and might ultimately get more than if they felt like they had to defend themselves).

So, if you want to increase the number of people who can benefit from these new technologies and places to use them, education is the key.....
at least IMHO.

So, best wishes on getting Segways accepted for the people who rely on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter