Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to test this. I booked a room at a value resort, just shy of 60 days from now. We are still considering whether to travel during this time but before the morality police descend I have no intention of keeping these fastpasses. Here's a screen grab showing the resort reservation, me and Mr. Husband listed there, and the fastpasses I booked as part of the test:

Screen Grab FP1.jpg

Then I cancelled the reservation. Less than an hour after I made it. I expanded the details on the FP Cancellation warning.

Screen Grab FP2.jpg

Note the warning in the red box:

Screen Grab FP3.jpg

As of right this moment, a few minutes after cancelling, my FPs remain. I will wait a couple days and check back in with you guys if the FP disappear. I am traveling this weekend so don't tag me for an update :D

Screen Grab FP4.jpg

I decided to test this.
Thanks for taking one for the team! I would have been all over it, just to see, but I've got a legitimate reservation & FPs sitting in there that I don't want to risk.

That "Your FPs have been canceled" part is new, which certainly lends some credence that the change either has happened, or will be happening soon.

I decided to test this. I booked a room at a value resort, just shy of 60 days from now. We are still considering whether to travel during this time but before the morality police descend I have no intention of keeping these fastpasses. Here's a screen grab showing the resort reservation, me and Mr. Husband listed there, and the fastpasses I booked as part of the test:

View attachment 382154

Then I cancelled the reservation. Less than an hour after I made it. I expanded the details on the FP Cancellation warning.

View attachment 382153

Note the warning in the red box:

View attachment 382152

As of right this moment, a few minutes after cancelling, my FPs remain. I will wait a couple days and check back in with you guys if the FP disappear. I am traveling this weekend so don't tag me for an update :D

View attachment 382151

Yay for actual, legitimate information and not rampant speculation! Please do update us!

Thanks for taking one for the team! I would have been all over it, just to see, but I've got a legitimate reservation & FPs sitting in there that I don't want to risk.

That "Your FPs have been canceled" part is new, which certainly lends some credence that the change either has happened, or will be happening soon.
I have yet to see a report of anyone's FP's being actually cancelled so it may have not been implemented yet if it is coming.

I couldn't remember whether I'd seen that particular notice before. As has been posted many times here, the first warning has been there for a while.

Opinion/rant: I do think it is rather disingenuous for the website to state that FPs have been cancelled when they are really still there. If I were really deciding between resorts, onsite versus offsite, etc. and saw that my fastpasses persisted after getting this warning, I might rely on them being there and take my time deciding on a resort (actually that is what I am doing as we aren't sure where we are going for DH's spring break, but we go to WDW so often I don't really get in a twist anymore over fastpass). If I rebooked at another resort 5 days later and my fastpasses had disappeared two days after cancellation of the first resort I'd be upset - yes, I know the warnings are there, but if the fastpasses aren't actually canceled immediately I don't think they should cancel them at all. People might rely on them staying. Just my two cents.

I have yet to see a report of anyone's FP's being actually cancelled so it may have not been implemented yet if it is coming.

Thanks, Ryan. :thumbsup2

There were a lot of vague references earlier in this thread stating that there were reports on other forums of actual cancellations so I wanted to see for myself. I pretty much only visit the Disboards and didn't feel like searching high and low for other reports on other forums, though I tried. I couldn't find anything.

If I were really deciding between resorts, onsite versus offsite, etc. and saw that my fastpasses persisted after getting this warning, I might rely on them being there and take my time deciding on a resort...
Agreed. That and also, if I was canceling a resort reservation and it told me my FPs were canceled, I wouldn't bother canceling the FPs myself, assuming it had been done for me. And there would sit 3 FPs someone else might want, right up until their time windows.

Wouldn’t the true test of this be waiting until you’re inside 30 days before you cancel the room?

Another test would be to book a Disney Springs hotel, link it to MDE, and cancel it via the hotel directly.

Wouldn’t the true test of this be waiting until you’re inside 30 days before you cancel the room?
Well, I can be the lab rat for that. :o I have 2 nights at the end of an on site split, that I will be canceling. I had us finishing out our week at OKW, but found a 3 bedroom at WBC for 1/2 the price, so I booked it, not even thinking about my FPs booked on our last day. :worried: SO, I am canceling it next week, inside 30 days. If FPs are canceled, I should be able to rebook, all I need is safari. (DAH night at AK)
If no one else reports, I will post what happens.

LOL... OR what if they aren't catching on and this thread just became a How-To for all of the Off-Site DISboards population? :P
I understand what you're saying, however it's been stated that there are several other Disney sites actively promoting this practice, along with many others. And there are still those of us who had not heard of this practice until this came up and still have no intention of doing it. I feel that if people are going out of their way to find shady practices like this one, they will do it regardless. I just heard of the walking reservation yesterday and it's not something I would even think of suggesting to our DVC family to try.

But I'm also the one who still gets infuriated when I see people ordering cupcakes at BOG lunch and encouraging others to do it on here. I have been reminded many times that it isn't against the rules for BOG and reservations are first come, first serve. (thankfully they can't do it at dinner any longer) This is also why I don't have a problem with a throwaway room, they're paying for it and it is first come, first serve. This room cancellation thing is very different and people are getting something they didn't pay for, regardless if they got there first.

I understand what you're saying, however it's been stated that there are several other Disney sites actively promoting this practice, along with many others. And there are still those of us who had not heard of this practice until this came up and still have no intention of doing it. I feel that if people are going out of their way to find shady practices like this one, they will do it regardless. I just heard of the walking reservation yesterday and it's not something I would even think of suggesting to our DVC family to try.

But I'm also the one who still gets infuriated when I see people ordering cupcakes at BOG lunch and encouraging others to do it on here. I have been reminded many times that it isn't against the rules for BOG and reservations are first come, first serve. (thankfully they can't do it at dinner any longer) This is also why I don't have a problem with a throwaway room, they're paying for it and it is first come, first serve. This room cancellation thing is very different and people are getting something they didn't pay for, regardless if they got there first.
What would a cupcake at lunch do, allow the guest to see inside the castle? I've ordered just dessert with an ADR at multiple restaurants on property. I know the PPO breakfast/cupcake combo had been discussed, but lunch?

That will be my next test IF these fastpasses disappear. If they stay then there’s not any utility for me in waiting to cancel (plus I’d rather not hold the reservation through the end of a credit card cycle :-))

And wasn’t the original rumor that you’d have 48 hours to rebook before losing FPs, or am I remembering incorrectly? So since you got the warning immediately - and if you do really lose them - that would throw even more confusion into this. At any rate, thanks for testing!

Side note: I’ve had sooooo many friends insist that Under the Sea is the most under-appreciated ride in all of WDW. I have to admit I haven’t ever done it.

And wasn’t the original rumor that you’d have 48 hours to rebook before losing FPs, or am I remembering incorrectly? So since you got the warning immediately - and if you do really lose them - that would throw even more confusion into this. At any rate, thanks for testing!

I read that hypothesis somewhere as well but frankly don’t know where it came from. (I have a guess but don’t think it’s that helpful to share guesses). Time will tell, and I will be sure to check in after that two day period passes to see if the fastpasses disappear.

Reactions: CJN

Side note: I’ve had sooooo many friends insist that Under the Sea is the most under-appreciated ride in all of WDW. I have to admit I haven’t ever done it.

This is what I was thinking. They give a small amount of time to rebook elsewhere onsite before FP disappears. That would be fair for those who just want to legitimately make a change onsite without losing their FPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter