Disney to give employees a 1000 dollar bonus---from CNBC

Just think about the bump to the local economy in Anaheim and Orlando. That will help a lot. I was a little slow doing the math............and I am not suggesting this all goes to CA/FL............but it's 125 million dollars being given out via the bonus.

While that money is given out, the employee will only get to spend a little over half of it. That isn't disney's fault, but it still factors in. Still a nice gesture.

Edit: quick online calculator suggests a FL resident will end up with about $703 of that $1000

While that money is given out, the employee will only get to spend a little over half of it. That isn't disney's fault, but it still factors in. Still a nice gesture.

Edit: quick online calculator suggests a FL resident will end up with about $703 of that $1000

yeah, no state income tax in FL helps

While I haven't gotten any such bonus, I did just get an e-mail at work today for something related that will positively impact CMs too long term. We've just been told that with the new tax withholding tables that have come out in response to the recent changes in tax law, we will see a reduction in the amount of taxes withheld starting next month. Disney CMs and most everyone else will see the same thing.
This is true. The amount of the deduction depends on your annual wages. All companies with employees in the US must have these updated tax tables in place by 2/15.

Awesome! So glad the new tax law is helping families and Disney employees are hard workers. Good for them and America!

This is a win, win for Disney. Percent-wise there is not a bigger fan base than Disney CMs. A majority of CMs are also Disney fans and because of the significant discounts they recieve, they give a chunk of money back to Disney. Every CM I know either frequents a Disney restaurant, purchases Disney merchandise, goes on DCL cruises or stays at a Disney resort. With this bonus, there will be an uptick on all these.

This is a win, win for Disney. Percent-wise there is not a bigger fan base than Disney CMs. A majority of CMs are also Disney fans and because of the significant discounts they recieve, they give a chunk of money back to Disney. Every CM I know either frequents a Disney restaurant, purchases Disney merchandise, goes on DCL cruises or stays at a Disney resort. With this bonus, there will be an uptick on all these.
Certainly true.

When I worked for a ski resort, when a good year happened they would offer a bonus. You would be able to choose a reduced value on a gift card, or full value in your check. Gift card value was 90%. Most employees ate regularly at the resort, along with buying other random things including childcare. Most chose the gift card option.

I'm in Ohio and received the same from my company - and netted $560 of the $1000 as it was lumped into my regular paycheck. :( but better than nothing!
Not sure how tax savvy you are, but the high level of withholding was due to the way your annual salary is projected based upon your weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly pay. If you only get one check a month, the tables approach it like you are getting a 12,000 dollar raise. But we know that was not the case.

Basically, this causes the system to over-withhold.

At the end of the year, your refund will include the excess amount withheld.

Sorry you won't see the extra cash until Spring of 2019.

While I haven't gotten any such bonus, I did just get an e-mail at work today for something related that will positively impact CMs too long term. We've just been told that with the new tax withholding tables that have come out in response to the recent changes in tax law, we will see a reduction in the amount of taxes withheld starting next month. Disney CMs and most everyone else will see the same thing.

Remember that the IRS has said (pardon my eye rolling) that they don't know if, after the tax tables change, they are withholding too much or too little taxes from your paycheck. By the end of February there will be a tool on the IRS site they are encouraging people to use to approximate their federal tax burden for 2018 and to adjust accordingly.

I guarantee you that come April 16, 2019 we will be seeing news stories about all the people who - surprise! - owe the IRS thousands of dollars due underpaying over the course of 2018...all because the IRS made a mistake.

While I'm happy for them, and it's better than nothing, I wish they got raises instead. These small one time bonuses appear to just be attempts to create good PR headlines rather than truly rewarding the employees.

Exactly - a feel good ploy, since they are pocketing 100X the amount. Not impressed with any of the recent 'bonuses'. Wouldn't be surprised if the bigwigs didn't sleep with some people in Washington. It's a clever ploy to win over the masses. "Here's a bit of cash, remember where you got it from" while they pocket much, much more, and find new ways to cut other benefits.

Hopefully they do it right, and you won't end up owing a pile of money.

Just think about the bump to the local economy in Anaheim and Orlando. That will help a lot. I was a little slow doing the math............and I am not suggesting this all goes to CA/FL............but it's 125 million dollars being given out via the bonus.

Which will go for increases in health insurance, etc.

Awesome! So glad the new tax law is helping families and Disney employees are hard workers. Good for them and America!

It's just a ploy - they'll screw the worker in so many other ways. Wait and see.

Remember that the IRS has said (pardon my eye rolling) that they don't know if, after the tax tables change, they are withholding too much or too little taxes from your paycheck. By the end of February there will be a tool on the IRS site they are encouraging people to use to approximate their federal tax burden for 2018 and to adjust accordingly.

I guarantee you that come April 16, 2019 we will be seeing news stories about all the people who - surprise! - owe the IRS thousands of dollars due underpaying over the course of 2018...all because the IRS made a mistake.

No kidding - bet they add on a $1000 bump to make up for the 'bonus'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter