Disney trip with anxiety

All Tangled Up

Mouseketeer
I am bringing my fiance- DF on his first trip, and I couldn't be more excited! We both have anxiety though, him moreso than I do. I am used to Disney chaos as I've been many times, but since it's his first time I want to make sure things go smoothly.

My main concern is fireworks at MK. I went less than a year ago and it was different than times I'd previously gone (my trip before that was Wishes in 2016) everyone was packed into lines like sardines and it was a nightmare for my anxiety, I ended up very shaky and overwhelmed trying to get out. Lol. Now that I know what to expect I'm sure it won't be so bad, but worried about DF in that situation. I was thinking of doing the MK fireworks party to help with this. Any experiences on both options available would help! I was thinking the seating at Tomorrowland would be ideal as we can eat as we watch the fireworks and most likely have a place to sit, but I'm worried the view won't be good for his first ever trip. It's also cheaper. Thoughts?

As for resorts definitely going with a mod or deluxe as I've heard complaints with the values being overcrowded, loud etc.

Any other additions would be helpful, we are both excited!!

I’m not keen on being squeezed in crowds either. If we want a quick exit but a good view we stand by the flag pole area looking up Main Street. That way you can leave straight away after and avoid the crowds.
Other option is that they have redone the hub in front of the castle so it’s more open and less areas that bottle neck like it used to. So you could pick a spot and then just hang out there and let the crowd pass once the show has ended.
I’ve never done the desert party and I’m not sure how the view works from there but your right less crowded for that

We stood off to the side just outside of the terrace of the dessert party last year and enjoyed the view. Tink flew right over us! And the terrace is more centered than that was so I’d say your view will still be fine. Not perfectly centered but still good. I would do the terrace party if I was you. The crowds can be overwhelming and hard to get out of if you start to have a panic attack. The crowds really are surprisingly insane if you don’t know to expect that.

I suffer from severe panic attacks and only had one on my last trip in 2016 and that was on a not-crowded bus back to POR, but for sure crowds at fireworks get me, which is why in 6 trips I never saw "Illuminations" and I only saw "Wishes" from Narcoossees and our balcony at WL. We did the Star Wars party to see the fireworks at HS and we waited until the crowds left to exit and took a Lyft back to POR, as the crowds at the busses set me off. In 2012, MK was soooo packed they made us all exit BEHIND Main Street and I kept my eyes down, as I didnt want to spoil "the magic", that was bad (Im a nerd, sorry).I have Xanax with on my trips, but only took 2 in 6 trips....I would book the party. Yes, its costly,but you get a reserved spot and refreshments.Just find a spot to chill after and let the park empty out. You will have a great trip!

If you do HEA don't cram out like everyone else, head down the side street (on your left as you exit) half way down main street and chill. Just DO NOT watch HEA from the tomorrowland bridge. Worst decision we ever made because it looks empty and it is because they don't turn the awful monsters inc laugh floor gumpf off and by the end of HEA all I could hear was Mike wazouskis voice in my head. Ruined the fireworks and heightened my anxiety no end because it was like water torture, I was just preparing myself for the next round 😂
Also best advice I have if you are mid panic attack, look up. It's a lot less intense and you can concentrate on how much space there is above you.
I don't recommend this while walking though for obvious reasons...

Skip the fireworks. Disney does a nice job, but they're just fireworks. You probably can see fireworks in your home town. Why plan to do something which is likely to make you unhappy? You don't have to experience everything at Disney just because it's there.

If you think crowded buses might be a problem, then factor that into your planning -- save money on something so that you can pay to use Uber or Lyft rather than take a bus.

I would also recommend skipping the fireworks as PP mentioned. You could watch them from the beach at the Polynesian and get an excellent view that way. We did do a dessert/fireworks party at Hollywood Studios and it was fantastic. My only hesitation with the anxiety is that by the time it gets to fireworks, we have been at the parks for most of the day and we are tired, usually hungry, and ready to get home - all of those feelings with fuel the anxiety.

I would recommend the plaza garden view with the fireworks party. We did this twice because myself and our DD are short ladies - like barely 5ft so we have a hard time seeing when in a crowd. We had a fantastic view. There were other people around us, but we didn't feel closed in. We all had our own personal space.

You might also try watching from behind the castle. You won’t see any projections, but the fireworks will be behind you and in front of you. Very low crowds and you can probably even score a ledge to sit on. After the show, you can go on another ride right there in Fantasy Land or just relax and let the crowds on Main Street go way down.

I suffer from severe panic attacks and OCD - most trips can be a struggle ..... but I do my best - agree with the others - if you definitely want to see the fireworks, do the dessert parties - especially the plaza garden -

On our last trip, we stayed at GF. One night we went back early because my kids were getting tired. We left the kids in the room and went and watched the fireworks from the boat dock. There were just a few people there and the sound of the fireworks wasn't deafening.

Watch the fireworks from outside the park. There is a good view from the TTC boat launch. Keep in mind the dessert party option will cost you $85 a person.

They had the walkway behind main street open when I was there last weekend. It was the perfect place to watch a bit of the fireworks and then walk out and catch the bus before the crowds. It made for a very chill departure from the park. I think the Tomorrowland dessert party would also be a good option.

Do you know which resort you are staying at? I was skeptical about Port Orleans French Quarter, but found that its compact size was really relaxing. It never felt chaotic like some of the larger resorts do.

I hope you have a lovely trip!

We stood right outside Crystal Palace - some spots are limited viewing because of the trees but there are some really good spots to view everything. We were there this last June and did that - I was NOT going to try and stand with the masses. I also liked this location because if crowds get too much you are always tuck into Casey's and do some shopping ( the shops were pretty empty even after the fireworks ).

In terms of resorts, AKL is a deluxe resort which is incredibly relaxing. It can have some hustle and bustle, but as it is relatively isolated on property, it is calm. Wilderness Lodge is another deluxe which seems to have a much more relaxed feel.

If you watch the fireworks from the docks over the rivers of America on frontierland, you'll miss the projections, but still get great music and fireworks. Few people are back there, and you can leave the park once much of the crowd has left.

If you would like to pair the fireworks with an excellent upscale dinner, I would recommend eating at the California Grill atop the Contemporary. If you eat there at any time during the day you can come up and watch the fireworks from their rooftop deck or you can schedule your meal for near the fireworks and walk outside to watch them (same thing if you sit at the bar for apps, dessert, drinks, etc.) In my opinion, the view was fantastic and you can see all of the perimeter fireworks plus hear the music but you do miss the projections. Depending on what you're looking for this could be a good option, plus for me, it was very romantic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter