Disney Vacation Club questions.

BillSears

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

I'm really considering buying a resale for the DVC at Old Key West. I'm a paraplegic and had some questions about your experiences with the DVC.

How are the accessible rooms in the DVC properties? Any compaints or raves about them from the viewpoint of a wheelchair user who cannot walk but can transfer?

How is parking at the DVC resorts, especially OKW?

I've heard some properties don't have standard view accessibl;e rooms. If you request an accessabl;e room in these properties do you get charged for the preferred view even if you don't request preferred views?

Any other comments you have would be appreciated. I'm really worried over this decision but I also really want to get this.

Our beloved moderator, SueM in MN is also a DVC member at OKW, and can speak volumes about her experience there. I think the drawback to OKW is that most of the accessible rooms are on the first floor as most of the buildings do not have elevators. The big plus is that the rooms at OKW are the biggest of the DVC resorts, so lots of room to roll around. Parking is right outside the door so no problem there. We have also found the Disney buses to be pretty easy with DS's wheelchair. The other DVC resorts mostly have free valet parking, which works well for us.

We own at BWV, so we're only a quick walk or boat ride to two of the four parks (DS loves the boat). As for your Standard View question, that only applies at BWV and many times of year you pretty much need to own at BWV to get a low points Std view room. IMO the Std view is not better or worse than most Preferred views, except for the BW views, which are spectacular (and a special class of reservation anyway). I like the views of IllumiNations at Epcot from the Std view rooms .

We have never gotten a HC accessible room, so I can't speak to the layout, but I expect there are others here who can contribute.

Good luck. We love owning DVC, and find Disney the most accessible place on earth. Yeah there are areas I wish had better access, but I know they are probly working on them, so...

Bill, I have been an OKW member for over ten years. For the last four years I have used an ECV while at WDW - renting from Walker the last several trips. Let me preface my comments by saying I know there is a BIG difference between my using an ECV & you being in a wheelchair.

I have stayed once or twice in a handicapped room at OKW. I usually request first floor or elevator room for medical/mobility reasons. I do not like to take a handicapped room for myself; I would rather save a handicapped room for guests like yourself. One night we got the handicapped room becuase we arrived about 7 p.m. on the day before our scheduled arrival. I have always been assigned a room that meets my needs.

Handicapped rooms tend to have higher toilets, lower beds, lower counters in the bathroom & kitchen, etc.

On the last few trips I have stayed in the elevator buildings. These buildings are very convenient to the Hospitality House - checkin, Olivia's (restaurant), the gift shop/store, main pool, community hall, etc. Plus at night the HH is the last bus stop, so I am not disturbing too many guests getting off the bus.

There are handicapped parking spots throughout the resort. I try to find another spot close to our unit in order to save handicapped spots for guests like yourself. I will say the handicapped spots come in handy near the Hospitality House. The resort is set up well for guests using ECV/s wheelchairs, etc. The sidewalks have enough ramps & have been easy for me to use/get around.

OKW recently added an automatic door opener to get in & out of the check-in area. I believe there are plans to add another automatic door opener into Olivia's & the store. I have never had a problem when I am by myself though getting in & out. Usually another guests sees me by myself & offers to hold a door, etc.

Keep in mind that OKW is more isolated than say BCV or BWV. You need to use a WDW bus or boat (to DTD) or your own vehicle to get to the parks. Don't get me wrong I do not find OKW isolated; I used that word to compare OKW to BWV or BCV & their boat & path access to EPCOT & the Studios.

I hope this answers some of your concerns.

We bought at BCV, and have stayed both there, and at OKW...

My mom has mobility issues, and we found that the units at OKW were wonderful...both in the elevator bldgs and the first floor units..

I'm not sure about the standard view/acc room question...I do know that BWV is the only property with different point charges for views...at OKW this wouldn't be an issue.

I believe that there are access parking spaces in each building parking lot as well...and all the sidewalks have the sloping access.

HTH!!
:sunny:

I haven't had time to comment yet, but it looks like you already got some good information.
We have been members of DVC at OKW for 11 years and are very happy with our choice. My DD has cerebral palsy and is not able to stand. She is also not able to transfer independently, so needs us to either lift her or hold her up for a stand and pivot. We have stayed most often at OKW, but have also stayed with her at VWL and without her at BCV, BWV and SSR. Our stays have been mostly in one and 2 bedroom units. (The second bedroom in a 2 bedroom unit is basically the same as a studio).
How are the accessible rooms in the DVC properties? Any compaints or raves about them from the viewpoint of a wheelchair user who cannot walk but can transfer?
We have stayed in wheelchair accessible rooms, but not recently - because she's only 5 feet tall, those raised seat toilets are so high for her. The only one we have stayed in was at OKW and we found it to be very accessible . The non-accessible rooms at OKW are very roomy - much more than the other DVC. DD has no trouble at all getting around anywhere in the non-accessible 2 bedroom OKW room. All hallways, doorways and furniture placements allow at least a 3 foot path (usually a lot more). We don't usually even have to move any furniture. The dining room has a large round table, at least 60 inches in diameter and she has no trouble pulling her wheelchair up to it. The roofed porch is off the great room and has 4 chairs and a table (I think, it's 48 inches in diameter). There is a little lip at the doorjamb to get out, but once out, there is room for a wheelchair to be out on the porch and actually move around. I assume the accesible rooms would not have the "bump" at the door jamb/threshold.
When we stayed at VWL, we did have problems (in a non-accessible room) because everything is very close. The table for the unit is a long, narrow rectangular one with a bench along the wall for 2 seats and 2 chairs on the "out" side for seating. We had to move furniture to allow her to get thru, but it couldn't stay where we moved it because then it blocked something else.
I don't know what the "porch" is like in the accessible rooms at the other resorts, but the ones at the non-accessible resorts are long and narrow. At VWL, it was just barely wide enough for 2 chairs and a small side table. When I was sitting on the chair, close enough to easily touch the door, I could also easily touch the porch railing.
How is parking at the DVC resorts, especially OKW?
As others mentioned, OKW has small parking lots in front of every building. We usually use the wheelchair parking spots because we need space at one side of our van to transfer her in. We usually have no problem with parking at OKW. There arre many bus stops and where ever you are, there is a bus stop nearby.
The other DVC resorts are located at hotels, so the parking is large lots (or use valet parking). The other DVC buildings are multistory buildings with inside hallways for access to your room. I don't know where the accessible rooms are in relation to the elevators, but in general, we have found the regular rooms require quite a walk down the hallways to get to the elevator.
The parking at SSR is described as being outside the rooms like OKW, but we found it to be a little different. The OKW individual buildings are smaller, mostly 2 floors and more condo like. The SSR buildings are 4 stories, larger and more apartment like. The lots for OKW are smaller and you park closer to your building. The ones at SSR are rather large lots - the one for 4 buildings sort of all run together as one big lot.
I've heard some properties don't have standard view accessibl;e rooms. If you request an accessabl;e room in these properties do you get charged for the preferred view even if you don't request preferred views?
I don't know about the others, but OKW doesn't have any difference in points depending on view. All the OKW views are some sort of green space, either golf course or lawn/water. Some people have said their view on the bottom floor was obscured by bushes/trees. Things grow fast in Florida and the "obscured view" one week might be a great view the next because they have trimmed.
DVC members deal with Member Services for Special Needs. The only time we have not gotten our needs met was the first time we went down to OKW 11 years ago. We had made a request for a 1st floor room, but didn't specify that it was a medical request and we got in well after midnight. We ended up with a second floor room (which was OK for us for one night since DD was much smaller than and we could carry her up for one night). They moved us to a 1st floor room the next day. Since that one time, we have never had any trouble getting what we needed.
Here's a link to the OKW page on the DIS site. It includes a few pictures and a link to a resort map.

Thanks for the information eveyone!

I'm still waffling back and forth on this decision. I realize I can get alot more time at an offsite timeshare then doing the DVC. But the DVC is Disney and therefore worth more to me. Plus the one offsite timeshare I visited(Vistana) didn't have an accessible room that fitted my needs well. It worked but it wasn't great.

If this follows my usual patterns I'll go with the DVC. I just find it hard to settle on second best even if there is a large difference in price. So overall I'm very torn. I mean I could get an offsite timeshare for 1/3rd of the cost of a DVC one.

The perennial advice to those considering a DVC purchase is to rent some points, stay there and see how you like it. Given Disney's attention to detail and their excellent record at meeting the needs of guests with mobility impairments, I think I wil be hard to go wrong buying DVC.

But if you do buy, and ever find it no longer meets your needs, there is a liquid resale market in DVC contracts, and Disney's ROFR keeps resale prices up, meaning that very few ppl have lost money owning then reselling DVC (SueM in MN and Judith likely bought in the $55 a point range at OKW while these are now selling resale for $73ish a point); compare that to any other timeshare, where you pretty much lose your shirt if you ever decide to sell.

You being both a Disney fan and one who appreciates the convenience of being on-site, I would highly recommend buying a resale OKW contract. Estimate your points needs on the high side, bcs those of us that didn't have ended up with add-on-itis, the need to keep adding additional points to accommodate our increasing vacationing demands ;)

Originally posted by pumpkinboy
The perennial advice to those considering a DVC purchase is to rent some points, stay there and see how you like it. Given Disney's attention to detail and their excellent record at meeting the needs of guests with mobility impairments, I think I wil be hard to go wrong buying DVC.

But if you do buy, and ever find it no longer meets your needs, there is a liquid resale market in DVC contracts, and Disney's ROFR keeps resale prices up, meaning that very few ppl have lost money owning then reselling DVC (SueM in MN and Judith likely bought in the $55 a point range at OKW while these are now selling resale for $73ish a point); compare that to any other timeshare, where you pretty much lose your shirt if you ever decide to sell.

You being both a Disney fan and one who appreciates the convenience of being on-site, I would highly recommend buying a resale OKW contract. Estimate your points needs on the high side, bcs those of us that didn't have ended up with add-on-itis, the need to keep adding additional points to accommodate our increasing vacationing demands ;)
We actually spent less than $55 per point for our first points, then we added and added (and actually, we have 3 separate contracts now). I agree with pumpkinboy that one of the best ways to see if it's worth the extra money for DVC is to rent first. I'd also suggest taking a trip to one of the preview centers to look at the models. They don't have any accessibel models (unless they put one in for the new "showroom" at SSR). We've tried several times to see the accessible models at BCV, but were not successful. We've been told they have the same "footprint" (general area) as the non-accessible rooms, but are just arranged inside the space a little differently. The way to see the accessible rooms is to contact the front desk at the resort, but each time we've been there, the rooms were in use. Seeing them would give you an idea of whether the other resorts would meet your needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter