Disney while Pregnant. Is it too much? and How late is too late?

innoculation

Mouseketeer
We are trying to plan our 4th year in a row Disney vacation, but a new pregnancy has thrown a monkey wrench into things. What are your thoughts as to how far along in the pregnancy is too far?

Also, is it too much to ask the wife to give in to a Disney vacation knowing that she may be miserable in the heat, and missing out on some of the attractions?

Any tips for making it easier on her?

First of all, it's always best to check with the doctor or midwife. If you are flying, there are some guidelines docs usually follow (and the airlines) for how late in pregnancy is OK to fly.

I travelled to Disney with a friend who was pregnant. We went in April so it wasn't oppressively hot, but hot nonetheless. (We flew in from Houston--very similar weather!). She was in her 7th month I believe (she had her baby at term on June 9). She did fine--drank lots of water, rested when necessary but kept up very well. I believe she was in her early 30's at the time. Hope this helps.

Are you saying that this is the fourth year in a row you've been trying to plan a vacation and it hasn't happened yet? Or that this will be the fourth year in a row that you've gone on a WDW vacation?

If you've gone to WDW three times in the last three years, then your wife knows what she'd be getting herself in for. Also, she's been there often enough that she might not mind as much missing some attractions, or even going back to the room and just resting. On the other hand, if you've been three times in the last three years, it certainly won't hurt to miss a year!

If you've been trying to go for the last 4 years, and haven't made it, I might be more inclined to say "go for it" and just have reasonable expectations of what you'll be able to get accomplished. On the other hand, if you've waited this long it won't hurt to wait one more year. I would think WDW would be a whole lot more pleasant with an infant than while pregnant, which is the decision I made a few years ago. I have miserable pregnancies, though.

Bottom line, it's really up to your wife! I'd leave the decision TOTALLY in her hands. TOTALLY.

I have a one-month-old right now, so I was pregnant very recently. I'd recommend going in the 2nd trimester, possibly the very early part of the 3rd. I got incredibly tired during my 3rd trimester and wouldn't have had fun even at WDW. Has she been pregnant before? Not all pregnancies are the same, but that might give you some idea of how she usually feels.

The heat is usually workable, provided you don't go late in her pregnancy during the hottest part of the year. She can rest in cool gift shops while you do the rides she can't go on. As long as everyone else traveling with her is willing to take it easy, she should be okay. If people will make her feel guilty for not traveling commando-style, then she probably won't enjoy it.

I think that the most important thing is that she needs to be very comfortable with the idea. It's not fun to think about, but sometimes complications do arise during pregnancy. She needs to think deep down inside her that a trip to WDW is safe because otherwise, if some problem does develop, she'll always wonder and feel a little bit guilty. It doesn't matter if every doctor you meet says that the trip was fine because an emotional pregnant woman will have her own ideas. As long as she thinks the trip is a good idea, it should be completely fine.

I aggree with the second trimester/early third idea. That is the "feel-great" time period for most. If your wife is healthy and enjoys a good vacation, I'd say go for it & just pace yourselves. Especially if this would be your last kidless vacation!

Thank you all.

After consulting her physician, we have decided to make the trip.

Thanks again.

I went when I was 8 months pregnant with my middle child. We went in August so the heat was an issue. But it was workable. One thing you must remember is to drink a lot of water. She will easily become dehydrated.

Something that we did to make it easier for me was occasionally to rent a wheelchair. That way I could rest a little but it didn't stop everyone from enjoying the parks. ( We always parked it with the strollers and got in line for the rides.)

It is definately doable. Just take it easy.

Michele:bounce:

We took a last mintue planed trip to WDW 1st week of Feb of 2001, our baby was born right on her due date March 29, 2001.

This was our 1st child and all went well with the trip and pregancy (besides being sick and throwing up most of the time!) the 4 days we were at WDW I felt the best of the whole 9 months of pregancy.

I really thought I would be the only nuts pregant women there, but I saw many (I was looking for them).

It was really cold that week and while I missed resting in the sun, I belive that helped with no swelling or fatigue.

Wait and see how she is feeling. Be sure you can cancel it and rescdule for later if needed.

Have a great trip, don't worry it has been done many times before. The unoffical guide has a page of so dedicaded to pregnant guests. (only book I have seen with one).

We went 2 years ago in April and I was 5 months pregnant. I was 41 years old and I was alittle leary at first but I really enjoyed myself! I enjoyed sitting back and people watching. My DD was 4 at the time so I was able to go on some of the rides with her. Just remember to take it easy and to drink lots of water. You will have a wonderful time.

I went towards the end of my 3rd month & my Dr was a little leary, but he said to go ahead. This is the best place to take your mind off any pregnancy aches and pains, and enjoy some good eats. It may also be your last Disney vacation for a bit, and you'll have so much fun looking at all the babies already there, while still having this last time for yourselves. My DH didn't want to go because he thought it would be too strenuous for me, but I took breaks, drank a lot, and had a great time. We went to Chef Mickey's and they gave us special placemats and I got a hug from Goofy (I wasn't showing; we told them). Just pamper your wife, don't let her carry any luggage, splurge on some meals, and have a great trip! Then take the baby...ours is 4 months and I'm trying to plan towards the fall.....

Just keep in mind that you may have to cancel - and cancelling on a hormonal woman may be a problem.

Most pregnancies go fine and a second trimester trip shouldn't be a problem. But some women spend the last five months on bed rest - or with limitations. I was borderline pre-eclampsic and Disney (for that matter, walking more than four blocks) would have been a no-no by the forth month.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy, easy labor, and a happy healthy baby.

I went in 2000 when I was 7 months pregnant. My Dr. told me not to worry and have fun. I went on Rock n Roll Rollarcoaster, Space Mountain and Dinosaur.

comom,
You have to be joking. RRC at 7 months pregnant? Were you not showing at all? I can't believe they would let you on. I used to think that I was invincible, too--but that's changed. I have some bad things happen while pregnant and I could never risk something happening by going on such a wild ride. You definately dodged a bullet that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter