Disney with an Infant? Don't be afraid, don't be very afraid!

The13thLetter

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

I have been meaning to post this since we returned almost a month ago (and touched on it briefly in my just returned home post) but our trip in September was our son's first to Disney and on an airplane (we live in NY) and he was 20 weeks old at the time. I wanted to post a little something sharing our experience and to let other new parents know that it is not as scary as you may think.

Now obviously this will all depend on your little one so YMMV, but here were a few things I wanted to share:

We flew at night both directions, right around the time of his last bottle and fed him during takeoff. He fell asleep at the end of the bottle, we put him in his car seat (we bought him a ticket so we had the whole side of the plane and someone else wouldn't be stuck with us if he was not having it) and he slept the rest of the flight.

That night he slept in the pack and play that French Quarter provided in the main part of our room and since it was late we all went to sleep. EDIT: The rest of the nights, it would be 830/9 and my wife and I were not ready for bed. What we ended up doing that worked unbelievably and it may depend on what resort you are staying in (i think a lot of the resorts have this option), but we put the pack and play by the bathroom sinks/dressing area, pulled the blackout curtain across (some have sliding doors), and turned on his sound machine. We were then able to turn the lights on in the main part of our room, watch some tv (low volume still haha) and eat dinner while he was down for sleep.

Each day was a little bit different as we tried several things to see which worked best for us. So some days we went to the park late morning, took a small break (like on the boardwalk as we went between HS and Epcot) then continued at the park until it was close to his bedtime. Other days we went to the park quite early, then came back to the resort for a swim and a nap, and went back to the park, staying a bit passed his bedtime (for these days we actually changed him into his PJs at the park and fed him his last bottle and let him relax in the stroller). Both seemed to work but I think the break in the middle of the day was slightly better because it was very hot that week, so going to the pool and hotel room got us recharged for the evening.

We were always back to the hotel though before fireworks or night time shows (even though we had bought him little headphones to guard his ears) because he was definitely ready for bed by 8/830. This I will say was probably the only real thing I felt we missed out on.

As I mentioned in my other post, the child care centers are amazing. We used them all several times; to change him, feed him, get some cool air, or just sit down. Some are better than others, but overall they make things so much easier.

So now to the questions that all of our non-Disney friends asked, "why would you bring him that young?", "He is not going to remember the trip", "this is really just a trip for you guys right?" I will answer them like this. I went as a child at various ages, some you would think I should have been old enough to remember but I don't. I also do not remember everything about trips I have taken in my teens or even 20's (thank you very much college) but I do remember that those trips were awesome and I definitely enjoyed them in the moments I was living them. I know it sometimes is important to remember your trip, but a lot of the time it is even more important to enjoy the trip in the moments that are happening then and there, and that is what we did.

Seeing him explore the characters hands and faces, our picture from frozen ever after, seeing his eyes open wide on its a small world, are all worth it even though he wont remember it.

And I know this may sound a bit crazy, and maybe he was just in one of those wonder weeks after we got back, but I swear he was a completely different baby when we got back. More interactive, more curious about his surroundings, just little things like that. I have no scientific proof that the trip contributed to it but I like to think in my mind that it did.

Anyway, I have rambled for a longgggg time, my apologies.

TL;DR - Don't be afraid to bring your infants to Disney. They may not remember it, but you and the rest of your family sure will.

Thanks!!

EDIT - Some questions below made me think of a few more things to include in this first post:

One thing I will warn you about is that not all bathrooms have changing "tables", some have like a changing counter area (and some men's rooms did not even have that). The counters worked well but my wife and I did not even notice them because we were looking for traditional pull down changing tables so I just want to mention that. We also tried to use the "family" bathrooms as much as possible but surprisingly not all of those had changing tables either. It really wasn't a problem overall but just figured I would mention it.

Also infants can go on any ride that does not have a height requirement which is surprisingly large amount, especially at MK, so make sure you check the list out so you know which ones. And they have rider swap for a lot of the bigger rides, so if you can't get a fastpass but don't want to wait 2 full separate times (we went just the 3 of us) to go on splash mountain individually for example, go up to the entrance and let them know you are doing rider swap. They will let one of you get on the line, then give the other a fastpass to go right on after the first one finishes.

Baby Center Locations:

HS - As soon as you enter the park on your left near guest services.
MK - Right between Casey's and Crystal Palace
Epcot - This is a little harder to describe but it you walk out of the Mexico Pavilion Aztec Temple, make a right and start walking, you then make a right down a side path and its on the right side of that building that used to have the craft beers for food and wine (if you are familiar with that). This is the best way I can describe it unfortunately haha.
AK - It is next to Creature Comforts

Last edited:
That’s lovely, thanks for sharing! I took my kiddo for her first birthday and I was amazed how much there is for a baby to do and how easy it was. Stroller parking, baby care areas, lots of slow rides. So fun.

@The13thLetter That's so nice to hear! We're planning on taking our infant next Sep (due Apr), so our LO would be around 20-24 weeks depending on if s/he makes a timely appearance or not! I do have a question for you - how did you handle the stroller situation for an infant that age? We're planning on getting one of those Britax travel systems and having the car seat to click into the stroller. Did you use a similar system? And if so, did you find it easy to navigate the buses (with a stroller and the infant car seat)?

This is great to hear...We are 40 days from our trip with a 2 year old and a 5 month old. We are really looking forward to it. Did you babywear at the parks? If so how did it go?

@The13thLetter That's so nice to hear! We're planning on taking our infant next Sep (due Apr), so our LO would be around 20-24 weeks depending on if s/he makes a timely appearance or not! I do have a question for you - how did you handle the stroller situation for an infant that age? We're planning on getting one of those Britax travel systems and having the car seat to click into the stroller. Did you use a similar system? And if so, did you find it easy to navigate the buses (with a stroller and the infant car seat)?

We have a Chicco Bravo LE stroller with the Chicco Key Fit Car seat that just clicks in (which sounds like what you have as well) and we also have just a Chicco Key Fit Caddy, which is basically only a holder for the car seat (you cannot sit in it by itself). We went back and forth deciding which to bring but ultimately brought the full stroller (with the car seat) because the top could completely cover him for naps and it had more storage underneath. Out first day we brought the car seat and the stroller to the park and he was not super happy. It was hot out and he was uncomfortable. We ended up putting him in the stroller alone for the first time (left the car seat in the hotel) and we have never looked back (note though that the stroller can lay almost all the way flat). He had so much more room, we clipped his fan on it, he napped great, and we could sit him up to feed him if we were not near the baby center.

As far as the buses, we went in the middle of September so the weekdays were not super busy. And even though the weekends were a bit busier, it still wasn't too much of an issue. We would try to get to the front of the bus line and the stroller folds up in half pretty good so I would just stand by the back door/scooter area while my wife sat with him in a seat. It really was not bad at all, but again it is a slower time, so I don't know how it would have been if it was businer or if we tried to take a bus after fireworks or something like that.

Does that help? If not let me know and I can try and give some more info.

This is great to hear...We are 40 days from our trip with a 2 year old and a 5 month old. We are really looking forward to it. Did you babywear at the parks? If so how did it go?

Out little guy actually hates carriers. We brought one to try if we just got too tired carrying him or if he had enough of the stroller, but he really was super good and didnt mind being in the stroller with his toys. And for rides and stuff I would just hold him in line (we used fastpasses and did not go on rides we did not have a fastpass for unless the wait was 20 or less). I would have loved to use a carrier (to save my dad arms) but it wasnt worth it since he was happy in the stroller. I am hoping he learns to like them soon though because I feel bad keeping him in the stroller for that long.

We have a Chicco Bravo LE stroller with the Chicco Key Fit Car seat that just clicks in (which sounds like what you have as well) and we also have just a Chicco Key Fit Caddy, which is basically only a holder for the car seat (you cannot sit in it by itself). We went back and forth deciding which to bring but ultimately brought the full stroller (with the car seat) because the top could completely cover him for naps and it had more storage underneath. Out first day we brought the car seat and the stroller to the park and he was not super happy. It was hot out and he was uncomfortable. We ended up putting him in the stroller alone for the first time (left the car seat in the hotel) and we have never looked back (note though that the stroller can lay almost all the way flat). He had so much more room, we clipped his fan on it, he napped great, and we could sit him up to feed him if we were not near the baby center.

As far as the buses, we went in the middle of September so the weekdays were not super busy. And even though the weekends were a bit busier, it still wasn't too much of an issue. We would try to get to the front of the bus line and the stroller folds up in half pretty good so I would just stand by the back door/scooter area while my wife sat with him in a seat. It really was not bad at all, but again it is a slower time, so I don't know how it would have been if it was businer or if we tried to take a bus after fireworks or something like that.

Does that help? If not let me know and I can try and give some more info.

We're going in Sep as well (10 days until I can book my home resort!!) That sounds a lot like what we're planning on doing - bringing the stroller and carseat and just seeing what works! My biggest fear is that our LO won't be old enough to not be in the car seat/stroller and they're miserable b/c of the heat in the parks.

We're going in Sep as well (10 days until I can book my home resort!!) That sounds a lot like what we're planning on doing - bringing the stroller and carseat and just seeing what works! My biggest fear is that our LO won't be old enough to not be in the car seat/stroller and they're miserable b/c of the heat in the parks.
Your child will be almost 2, most likely an active toddler running around. You just need a regular stroller.

We were worried about that too but the breaks inside the restaurants, the baby centers, the stroller fan and water spray fan all helped. He really did well in the stroller but obviously all babies are different. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as you will figure out what works best a couple days into it.

One thing I will warn you about is that not all bathrooms have changing "tables", some have like a changing counter area (and some men's rooms did not even have that). The counters worked well but my wife and I did not even notice them because we were looking for traditional pull down changing tables. We tried to use the "family" bathrooms as much as possible but surprisingly not all of those had changing tables either. It really wasn't a problem overall but just figured I would mention it.

Also they can go on so many rides especially at MK, make sure you check the list out so you know which ones. And they have rider swap for a lot of the bigger rides so if you can't get a fastpass but don't want to wait 2 separate times to go on splash mountain for example, go up to the entrance and let them know you are doing rider swap. They will let one of you get on the line, then give the other a fastpass to go right on after the first one finishes.

One more thing. We did one character meal (garden grill at epcot) and although it was definitely worth it, I think one was enough given the extra money for character meals, unless of course you want to get pictures with specific characters (or you just want to go for yourselves :) )

We were worried about that too but the breaks inside the restaurants, the baby centers, the stroller fan and water spray fan all helped. He really did well in the stroller but obviously all babies are different. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as you will figure out what works best a couple days into it.

One thing I will warn you about is that not all bathrooms have changing "tables", some have like a changing counter area (and some men's rooms did not even have that). The counters worked well but my wife and I did not even notice them because we were looking for traditional pull down changing tables. We tried to use the "family" bathrooms as much as possible but surprisingly not all of those had changing tables either. It really wasn't a problem overall but just figured I would mention it.

Also they can go on so many rides especially at MK, make sure you check the list out so you know which ones. And they have rider swap for a lot of the bigger rides so if you can't get a fastpass but don't want to wait 2 separate times to go on splash mountain for example, go up to the entrance and let them know you are doing rider swap. They will let one of you get on the line, then give the other a fastpass to go right on after the first one finishes.

One more thing. We did one character meal (garden grill at epcot) and although it was definitely worth it, I think one was enough given the extra money for character meals, unless of course you want to get pictures with specific characters (or you just want to go for yourselves :) )

All good tips! Thank you! We're taking extended family for extra hands on this trip (ILs, BIL and his wife, SIL and her BF). MIL is already claiming she's too old for space mountain (she's not - my Mom rode it last month - she can too!), so we'll have plenty of help on the whole rider swap and also so DH and I won't be riding solo (which will be nice). I'm already figuring I'm going to need to map out where all the baby centers are too - I'm sure we'll need a break from the heat mid-day before heading back for the pools!

Garden Grill is a great character meal! We're definitely going to do one (as a big family). I'm leaning towards Ohana (dinner) but I don't think that will be the best option as my BIL's wife is a vegetarian and it's a pretty meat-heavy menu! :(

All good tips! Thank you! We're taking extended family for extra hands on this trip (ILs, BIL and his wife, SIL and her BF). MIL is already claiming she's too old for space mountain (she's not - my Mom rode it last month - she can too!), so we'll have plenty of help on the whole rider swap and also so DH and I won't be riding solo (which will be nice). I'm already figuring I'm going to need to map out where all the baby centers are too - I'm sure we'll need a break from the heat mid-day before heading back for the pools!

Garden Grill is a great character meal! We're definitely going to do one (as a big family). I'm leaning towards Ohana (dinner) but I don't think that will be the best option as my BIL's wife is a vegetarian and it's a pretty meat-heavy menu! :(

I can tell you where they all are (even though I am sure you are capable of finding them haha):

Epcot - This is a little harder to describe but it you walk out of the Mexico Pavilion Aztec Temple, make a right and start walking, you then make a right down a side path and its on the right side of that building that used to have the craft beers for food and wine (if you are familiar with that). This is the best way I can describe it unfortunately haha.

I can tell you where they all are (even though I am sure you are capable of finding them haha):

I know about the "craft beer" building. I put "craft beer" in quotes b/c my snobby NE beer taste thinks anything outside of a NEIPA is NOT a decent craft beer :) But I digress... :)

I know about the "craft beer" building. I put "craft beer" in quotes b/c my snobby NE beer taste thinks anything outside of a NEIPA is NOT a decent craft beer :) But I digress... :)

You don't have to tell me, I live in NY and frequent the craft beer scene (just ask my by beer gut). Make sure you get to the baseline taphouse in HS. Not our north east snobby style but still a great spot to hang and grab some beers.

You don't have to tell me, I live in NY and frequent the craft beer scene (just ask my by beer gut). Make sure you get to the baseline taphouse in HS. Not our north east snobby style but still a great spot to hang and grab some beers.

We were at Baseline during our last trip! Loved it! I thought it was a great addition to HS. I liked how you could enjoy a beer inside the theme park, but not be walking around carrying a drink. We're pretty close to Treehouse in MA - you can only imagine how hard that is being pregnant when your fridge is full of TH and only your other half can indulge!!:headache::headache:

Out little guy actually hates carriers. We brought one to try if we just got too tired carrying him or if he had enough of the stroller, but he really was super good and didnt mind being in the stroller with his toys. And for rides and stuff I would just hold him in line (we used fastpasses and did not go on rides we did not have a fastpass for unless the wait was 20 or less). I would have loved to use a carrier (to save my dad arms) but it wasnt worth it since he was happy in the stroller. I am hoping he learns to like them soon though because I feel bad keeping him in the stroller for that long.
Thanks! Good to know. We have the exact same stroller. My DS will be 6.5 mos when we go. He’s already in the stroller w/o the car seat now. He also doesn’t like baby wearing although we have tried. Good to hear yours was ok in the stroller. I’m hoping for that as well!

Hey everyone,

I have been meaning to post this since we returned almost a month ago (and touched on it briefly in my just returned home post) but our trip in September was our son's first to Disney and on an airplane (we live in NY) and he was 20 weeks old at the time. I wanted to post a little something sharing our experience and to let other new parents know that it is not as scary as you may think.

Now obviously this will all depend on your little one so YMMV, but here were a few things I wanted to share:

We flew at night both directions, right around the time of his last bottle and fed him during takeoff. He fell asleep at the end of the bottle, we put him in his car seat (we bought him a ticket so we had the whole side of the plane and someone else wouldn't be stuck with us if he was not having it) and he slept the rest of the night.

First night he slept in the pack and play that French Quarter provided in the main part of our room and since it was late we all went to sleep.

Each day was a little bit different as we tried several things to see which worked best for us. So some days we went to the park late morning, took a small break (like on the boardwalk as we went between HS and Epcot) then continued at the park until it was close to his bedtime. Other days we went to the park quite early, then came back to the resort for a swim and a nap, and went back to the park, staying a bit passed his bedtime (for these days we actually changed him into his PJs at the park and fed him his last bottle and let him relax in the stroller). Both seemed to work but I think the break in the middle of the day was slightly better because it was very hot that week, so going to the pool and hotel room got us recharged for the evening.

We were always back to the hotel though before fireworks or night time shows, even though we had bought him little headphones to guard his ears, because he was definitely ready for bed by 8/830. This I will say was probably the only real thing I felt we missed out on.

As I mentioned in my other post, the child care centers are amazing. We used them all several times; to change him, feed him, get some cool air, or just sit down. Some are better than others, but overall they make things so much easier.

So now to the questions that all of our non-Disney friends asked, "why would you bring him that young?", "He is not going to remember the trip", "this is really just a trip for you guys right?" I will answer them like this. I went as a child at various ages, some you would think I should have been old enough to remember but I don't. I also do not remember everything about trips I have taken in my teens or even 20's (thank you very much college) but I do remember that those trips were awesome. I know it sometimes is important to remember your trip, but a lot of the time it is even more important to enjoy the trip in the moments that are happening then and there, and that is what we did.

Seeing him explore the characters hands and faces, our picture from frozen ever after, seeing his eyes open wide on its a small world, are all worth it even though he wont remember it.

And I know this may sound a bit crazy, and maybe he was just in one of those wonder weeks after we got back, but I swear he was a completely different baby when we got back. More interactive, more curious about his surroundings, just little things like that. I have no scientific proof that the trip contributed to it but I like to think in my mind that it did.

Anyway, I have rambled for a longgggg time, my apologies.

TL;DR - Don't be afraid to bring your infants to Disney. They may not remember it, but you and the rest of your family sure will.

Thanks!!

Edit - Some questions below made me think of a few more things to include in this first post:

One thing I will warn you about is that not all bathrooms have changing "tables", some have like a changing counter area (and some men's rooms did not even have that). The counters worked well but my wife and I did not even notice them because we were looking for traditional pull down changing tables so I just want to mention that. We also tried to use the "family" bathrooms as much as possible but surprisingly not all of those had changing tables either. It really wasn't a problem overall but just figured I would mention it.

Also infants can go on any ride that does not have a height requirement which is surprisingly large amount, especially at MK, so make sure you check the list out so you know which ones. And they have rider swap for a lot of the bigger rides, so if you can't get a fastpass but don't want to wait 2 full separate times to go on splash mountain individually for example (we went just the 3 of us), go up to the entrance and let them know you are doing rider swap. They will let one of you get on the line, then give the other a fastpass to go right on after the first one finishes.

Baby Center Locations:

cant remember if I have mentioned this to you but make him a photo book with pictures of what he did, not just a family one. for years one of my grandsons would show and tell about the trip he took when he was about same age as your son

Thank you so much for your post! I am starting to get nervous about our first trip with our DS who will be just shy of 10 months old when we go in May. Any rides in particular your LO did NOT like?

Thank you so much for your post! I am starting to get nervous about our first trip with our DS who will be just shy of 10 months old when we go in May. Any rides in particular your LO did NOT like?
we had a 4 month old on our last trip, she loved all the rides she could go on. she did most of the ones with no height requirement. it was the 4 year old sister that was afraid of rides

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter