Disney World may discontinue resort's Monorail system? False report

When you have some time, search the web for Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) systems under development. An idea whose time is coming. Imagine entering a gondola car and with your magic band being taken directly to Epcot or the MK. Whisk you right to Poly for dinner at Ohana. Without intermediate stops. A system like this is so close to being deployed in many cities. The potential (and cost too, I might add) is so huge that it could fill the hotels on property for the next decade.

When you have some time, search the web for Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) systems under development. An idea whose time is coming. Imagine entering a gondola car and with your magic band being taken directly to Epcot or the MK. Whisk you right to Poly for dinner at Ohana. Without intermediate stops. A system like this is so close to being deployed in many cities. The potential (and cost too, I might add) is so huge that it could fill the hotels on property for the next decade.
We had one of those at my college to get from campus to campus since it was so spread out. It was an older system and broke down pretty frequently, but I loved having it and being able to use that over the buses. I'm sure the newer ones being developed are much more advanced and better equipped to handle higher traffic than the ones we had though.

A drawbridge over the canal leading to the Rivers of America would only need to be opened twice daily for the Electrical Water Pageant boats. Although, Disney could use the bridge as an excuse to eliminate it completely. It doesn't produce any revenue and only die-hard fans would miss it. If that happens, the canal drawbridge would only need to be opened for boats heading to dry dock.

Yep, and even the twice a day (if they kept the parade) isn't until evening, so the whole day its just a bridge.

Yep, and even the twice a day (if they kept the parade) isn't until evening, so the whole day its just a bridge.
Honestly you don't want a bridge that doesn't have to open and close on a regular basis. It's not good for the mechanicals to just sit. But I still don't see them building it just to have a walking path from the Grand Floridian. And, as a Fort Wilderness guy, I'd be downright irritated if they did away with the electric water parade just so that people can walk from GF to MK.

Honestly you don't want a bridge that doesn't have to open and close on a regular basis. It's not good for the mechanicals to just sit. .

Isn't the EPCOT draw bridge down all day? If really needed they could simply open it each day at 6AM.

Sounds like that purchase of the Fox properties is paying off already:

4_tube-transportation-system-from-Futurama.jpg

Isn't the EPCOT draw bridge down all day? If really needed they could simply open it each day at 6AM.
Yes. My response was to the concept of only opening it when the riverboat or ferries needs to go to drydock. That's pretty much a guarantee it won't work when you need it. If you are going to build a drawbridge, and I seriously doubt they will, you make it so the parade boats can go through as well. That way you have a reason to open it every day and keep it in good condition.

The Epcot drawbridge opens at least twice every day. Once during the afternoon to bring the Illuminations barges into the WS Lagoon. The second time after the park closes to bring the barges back to the maintenance facility so they can be reloaded for the next day's show.

The Epcot drawbridge opens at least twice every day. Once during the afternoon to bring the Illuminations barges into the WS Lagoon. The second time after the park closes to bring the barges back to the maintenance facility so they can be reloaded for the next day's show.

Yep, so exactly the same the water pageant would be at GF.

If they wanted a path, they would make one. It has nothing to do with the pageant and boat ramps back there. There are other ramps, and the pageant can be stored over in Fort Wilderness where it was originally I believe...

Pave dedicated road along monorail line (EPCOT). Use self driving buses. (When perfected) and monitors to observe inside bus. If a bus breaks down it won't affect the others.

They have to do something before the 50th.

They're mad for not letting Siemens give them a free fleet of brand new monorails in exchange for advertisement.

Monorail as much as I love it. It’s getting old and need to be updated. I can not see it going like it is for the next 20 years. Disney never got there bus system to really work. If they travel on public roads it can never really work.
Yes, it’s does it’s job, but not fast enough and lots of waited time to get a bus.
If they can get the new system to really work, and can move the numbers they think 4000 an hour the Monorail will be replaced

I feel like it wouldn't have to be an engineering marvel to install a gondola from the TTC, to Wilderness lodge, and across the lake/canal to near the MK bus depot. Could certainly do another spur that goes GF to poly to TTC. Contemporary gets hosed in that situation, but they are walking distance already.
I'd love if they did a walking path from GF to MK, but I also think it's a value adder to allow the Wilderness lodge to be connected by something other than boat/bus. If you can connect the WL to contemporary a little easier, I think it's a win for both facilities. I love the boats, but never think of them being efficient transport.

I feel like it wouldn't have to be an engineering marvel to install a gondola from the TTC, to Wilderness lodge, and across the lake/canal to near the MK bus depot. Could certainly do another spur that goes GF to poly to TTC. Contemporary gets hosed in that situation, but they are walking distance already.
I'd love if they did a walking path from GF to MK, but I also think it's a value adder to allow the Wilderness lodge to be connected by something other than boat/bus. If you can connect the WL to contemporary a little easier, I think it's a win for both facilities. I love the boats, but never think of them being efficient transport.
That's interesting. I consider those boats to be some of the best transportation links at WDW. The resort loop, when running, trumps all, but the boats connecting WL, Contemporary, and FW are quick, beautiful and fun. Short of them being shut down for weather, it's much nicer to me than the Friendship boats plodding up and down the canal and the forever long maneuver to dock at Boardwalk (I think). The gondola, of course, may trump these boats, but I really like them. Especially if you know to look for all the Disney history along the route like the Shoe Tree, Discovery Island, and River Country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!