Disney Y.E.S. Program - post your class reviews here

LadySiren

I'm with Suellen.
Hello, fellow Mouse fanatics! We're thinking about signing up for the Y.E.S. program for our upcoming June trip and I'm about half-outta my gourd trying to decide which classes will fit which kids' ages / grades on which days we're going to be in the park. My head feels like it's going to explode trying to coordinate things for our group of six kids.

Anyway, in the other Y.E.S. thread (http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2332767) I found a few posts with comments about the various classes. I'd been considering the "Wild By Nature" class until I read a few of the comments - they were fairly negative. I'm now considering other class options but I was hoping y'all could help me.

If you've taken a Y.E.S. class previously, please post your review of it here. Tell us whether your child (or you) enjoyed this class, what they liked or disliked about it, what they learned, whether you'd recommend it to other parents, and whether you'd do it again. Too long? Too short? Worth the time and effort or a complete waste of park time? Share your opinions!

Any and all insight into Y.E.S. class content is warmly welcomed, but please keep on topic - no discussions about people cheating the system, etc. I'm strictly interested in what the class itself was like.

just wanted to bump this thread as I'm very interested as well, we're going to homeschool days in Sept. so I'd really like to know which classes are worth it.

Thanks for bumping; I'm shamelessly bumping again to see if I can get someone...anyone...to share their previous experiences. PLEASE? Don't make me beg, it's not a pretty sight (just ask DH).

Great idea, LadySiren! I'd love to see what people have to say about the classes too. popcorn::

I would love some info on the programs as well. I too have not been able to find many reviews. We're hoping to participate in some of the classes in September! Can anyone out there give us any opinions? Many thanks!

Really, mouselovers? Nobody wants to share their thoughts on these classes with us? Inquiring minds want to know.

I posted a questionaire last week about YES and it was like pulling teeth to get a response. Everyone kept pointing me towards the budget board and previous links that just talked about the program or link for people planning YES trips. Only a few gave me an abbreviated review of their experience. If you want I can share what I have, but they didn't talk specifically about the classes, just shared the name if they remembered it. Just let me know and I hope you find some answers!

ETA a lot of what I got was "it depends on your group" even though I wanted to know what the experience was for them (all of it). Crossing my fingers for you!

I did the animation class with my students & I don't recommend it. The first third of the class was spent drawing at the free animation class already offered at DHS. (It wasn't rushed, like the regular class, but it was otherwise the same thing.) One third was spent teaching the kids terms. (Students found this part VERY boring.) And, the last third was spent outside doing a 2-sided circle on a string cartoon. It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't magical either. Looking back, I wish I had done the physics lesson on one of the roller coasters. The kids wanted to ride these over and over again anyway.

Have you found a hotel yet? We did the suites at ASMusic & they were perfect. 2 bathrooms per suite & each chaperone had their own single-sized bed. The trundle bed rooms at POR are also great & a little less expensive- a chaperone can sleep on the trundle bed & 4 students can share the 2 beds. I also highly recommend getting the meal vouchers for your students. Kids usually aren't rational enough to manage their own food money. (In their mind, a souvenier is way cooler than lunch money.) The vouchers were purchased through the YES office & they were about $12/voucher for CS lunch or dinner (included meal, drink, & dessert) & $9.50/voucher for CS breakfast (entree, side, & drink).
Hope this helps.

NOLA_Tink, I could kiss you but I'll send some :goodvibes your way instead. This is exactly the type of info I'm hoping for! I'm so glad you posted this info - if it had been offered during our dates at WDW, we'd have signed up at least one kid for the animation class (we have several who love to draw). Unfortunately, it sounds as if it might not be the optimum experience for them.

Thank you again, much appreciated.

NOLA_Tink, I could kiss you but I'll send some :goodvibes your way instead. This is exactly the type of info I'm hoping for! I'm so glad you posted this info - if it had been offered during our dates at WDW, we'd have signed up at least one kid for the animation class (we have several who love to draw). Unfortunately, it sounds as if it might not be the optimum experience for them.

Thank you again, much appreciated.

No prob! For your kids that like to draw, I HIGHLY recommend the free drawing classes at Hollywood Studios. They're offered every day to everyone in the park & they're a lot of fun!!! A Disney animator sits in the front of the room & everyone in the room follows along for about 20 mins. In the past year, we've drawn Stich, Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, & Donald.

We've signed up for the Ocean session in June. It was a toss up between that and the Animal session at AK. But, in the end, getting some hands on marine activities won out. I didn't see the Wild by Nature reviews before we decided, but had some concerns about the walking that seemed to be involved in the June heat (we have a child in our group with some minor mobility issues). I downloaded the pdf brochures of the programs available to us and let the kids vote with a majority wins and no complaints if your activity doesn't win rule. We are really excited about it.

Ok...my girls have done several of the classes. I believe it was about three years ago that they did the Ocean Discovery program. We really enjoyed it. We got to go behind the scenes in The Living Seas, and discussed how litter at the beach affects the sea life. I'll try and see if I can remember anymore. The other ones they have done that I will have to ask them about are the two Physics ones, Chemistry at Epcot, The one at Animal Kingdom. If you have any specific questions about those I'll ask them.

Thanks much - so happy to have people sharing their input. It's definitely a help when trying to figure out which class to sign up for. :)

We're still looking for more reviews of Y.E.S. classes. And I'm gonna keep bumping this until you people share with us! C'mon, pweeeeeeeze?

We are going for five days with our five year olds starting June 20 and there are no classes available for the really young ones on those dates! If I sign them up for Wild by Nature is anyone going to check their age?

Are the tickets cross referenced with anything when you attend the classes?

My dd13 is signed up for Wild By Nature in late October. What bad things have you heard about this class??

I was told when I signed up that they are very strict about the ages for the classes. They wont let you sign up any kids younger than 5, and the class content is supposed to be geared for the age range that is specified.

We are going for five days with our five year olds starting June 20 and there are no classes available for the really young ones on those dates! If I sign them up for Wild by Nature is anyone going to check their age?

2 years is really stretching it. I wouldn't even sign up my now 6yo and he turns 7 a few days after the class.

I just checked, and How Things Move is still available for 5-8 yr olds on June 20.

When I signed up my DD, there was a big disclaimer that if the child didn't meet the age requirement, they wouldn't be confirmed into the program, and we wouldn't be able to get our park tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter