Disney+

scrappinginontario

Have any Canadians been able to order DISNEY+ yet?

People in the US have had various discounts offered to them since D23 in August but I haven’t found anything for Canadians. I was hoping we’d be offered discounts by now too since our service also starts in less than a month.

Last edited:
Also, will it be available on the TV via any cable company (ie: Netflix has a channel you can select, and Crave is offered through some of the cable companies, as well as just a streaming app). I don't have Prime for the single reason that there is no way to watch it on my TV without buying a FireStick or some other device. I already have a cable box attached to my TV and now I have to buy something else?

Also, no, haven't been able to sign up. I did try, though.

I looked but cannot subscribe yet. I don't think we will get the privilege of a discount.

yeap...still waiting. Its annoying because in the states you have the ability to pre-order already. The canadian site still shows preview with a countdown to Nov 12. I really hope its not just a free for all on Nov 12th where you have to download the app and sign up. I have a feeling that their servers are going be super slow and have glitches with all the initial traffic on Nov 12th.

I came here to ask this same question. @scrappinginontario it's like you read my mind! I'm signed up on their site for notifications, but haven't received any details yet about when we can sign up here.

I have a feeling that their servers are going be super slow and have glitches with all the initial traffic on Nov 12th.

I think there's going to be issues on their launch day as well. They seem to have problems with everything online lately **cough** magic bands *cough* *COUGH**

Also, will it be available on the TV via any cable company (ie: Netflix has a channel you can select, and Crave is offered through some of the cable companies, as well as just a streaming app). I don't have Prime for the single reason that there is no way to watch it on my TV without buying a FireStick or some other device. I already have a cable box attached to my TV and now I have to buy something else?

Also, no, haven't been able to sign up. I did try, though.

Will definitely need to get a set top box, or smart TV that supports the app.
FYI, the Amazon Firestick will not support Disney + on day one. Apple TV and Roku both will though.

I have a chrome cast and iPad. Hoping to be able to cast similar to YouTube but I really don’t know. The technical stuff is beyond me.

I called Cogeco (my cable company) and they said there are no negotiations at this time to put the app on their TiVo cable box. I know they don't have Prime, so not surprising, but it is disappointing.

I've heard from others that Roku is a good choice, too. How is Chromecast different?

I called Cogeco (my cable company) and they said there are no negotiations at this time to put the app on their TiVo cable box. I know they don't have Prime, so not surprising, but it is disappointing.

I've heard from others that Roku is a good choice, too. How is Chromecast different?
chromecast just connects to your TV via USB and lets you show anything from any device. Most apps have the ability built right in to cast - I use it for Netflix, plex and spotify - or you can actually use it to mirror anything you're looking at in chrome on any device, just need to install an extension.

chromecast just connects to your TV via USB and lets you show anything from any device. Most apps have the ability built right in to cast - I use it for Netflix, plex and spotify - or you can actually use it to mirror anything you're looking at in chrome on any device, just need to install an extension.
Thanks! I have one but have no idea how it actually worked! 🤪

Do you anticipate that I will be able to cast Disney+ from either my iPhone of iPad onto our TV using Chromecast?

I'm not sure if Disney+ has said specifically whether it will be compatible with Chromecast or not, but I have PikTV from Telus which is strictly online streaming and it does not give me the option to cast to a device using Chromecast. I can only view it in a web browser or via one of their apps that are compatible with certain boxes. I'm hoping that Disney+ is not this same way.

I did some searching for other Disney+ threads and found this information. Looks like I'll be okay. Hopefully others will be too!

I haven't heard about any cable companies offering it though their set-top boxes. You will need one of these supported devices:
  • Apple TV
  • iPad
  • iPhone
  • Android
  • Android TV
  • Chromecast
  • Roku/Roku TV
  • PlayStation 4
  • Xbox One
  • Desktop PC
Amazon Fire devices are not supported at this time, so you might consider one of the above options. Roku's are relatively inexpensive and are pretty standard. I recommend one with an ethernet port as Wi-Fi can vary speed wise, but that's really a personal preference.

I did some searching for other Disney+ threads and found this information. Looks like I'll be okay. Hopefully others will be too!

That is the official list of supported devices as of now. More may always be added of course but these are said to work. There is an issue with Amazon and their devices surrounding advertising - Disney and Amazon have never gotten along so good. I do expect to see Nintendo Switch on there at some point and other popular games consoles should they come along.

Thanks @BrianL. There were some questions about it here on the Canadian site so I borrowed your info and posted it here.

So far only the US appears to be able to order Disney+ at this time so the rest of us are waiting.

I've had a basic, entry level Roku for about 2 yrs now and love it. Bought it on amazon.ca. Easy to set up and easy to use. Search function isn't that intuitive and a bit unwieldy but I find what I want. I also have a Chromecast and don't use it much. After you set it up, you need to 'cast' the program you want to watch from your eg ipad or iphone onto your tv. I prefer the Roku because its more like satellite tv. No need to individually cast or throw programs onto the tv with a separate device. I would note that the older Roku that I have gets hot to the touch so I always unplug before leaving home for a weekend. Easy to just plug back in when I return. I also have an amazon firestick for a separate tv and it was more of a hassle to set up than the Roku. But once set up, it works fine. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I've had a basic, entry level Roku for about 2 yrs now and love it. Bought it on amazon.ca. Easy to set up and easy to use. Search function isn't that intuitive and a bit unwieldy but I find what I want. I also have a Chromecast and don't use it much. After you set it up, you need to 'cast' the program you want to watch from your eg ipad or iphone onto your tv. I prefer the Roku because its more like satellite tv. No need to individually cast or throw programs onto the tv with a separate device. I would note that the older Roku that I have gets hot to the touch so I always unplug before leaving home for a weekend. Easy to just plug back in when I return. I also have an amazon firestick for a separate tv and it was more of a hassle to set up than the Roku. But once set up, it works fine. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thanks. I hadn't thought of the logistics, but yeah, I'm trying to avoid having to use my ipad as an interface. That's a good point.

We’re looking forward to Disney+ in November. We have two AppleTV since we cut cable a few years ago.

I looked but cannot subscribe yet. I don't think we will get the privilege of a discount.

Unfortunately, I believe you’re right. I’ve been digging around the web and social media for weeks and have come up empty every time. But boy, us Canucks are not happy to not have a discount advantage based on what I’ve been reading (comments in social media etc).

yeap...still waiting. Its annoying because in the states you have the ability to pre-order already. The canadian site still shows preview with a countdown to Nov 12. I really hope its not just a free for all on Nov 12th where you have to download the app and sign up. I have a feeling that their servers are going be super slow and have glitches with all the initial traffic on Nov 12th.

Honestly. I’d be stunned if the site didn’t crash on the 12th. Absolutely stunned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!