Disneyland’s Fantasmic! Dining Package: FastPass or Wing it?

@HydroGuy , since you're "here", wondering if you might be able to provide advice about arrival timing for those with Fantasmic! dining package seating. Should guests still plan to arrive 60 minutes before the show? Or is it fine to arrive closer to showtime since you have a ticket for the reserved area and all of the seats in that area are (presumably) good? I would think/hope that one of the advantages of booking the dining package is that you don't need to sit for an hour waiting for the show to start, but maybe that is not the case. Any advice? Thanks!

My two cents is based on Hungry Bear only, for first showing. I shoot for arrival about 45 minutes before the show. I do not care where I sit in the area and often end up towards the back. I suspect you would be fine going 30 minutes before the show but I would not go any later than that myself.

:wizard:

@HydroGuy , since you're "here", wondering if you might be able to provide advice about arrival timing for those with Fantasmic! dining package seating. Should guests still plan to arrive 60 minutes before the show? Or is it fine to arrive closer to showtime since you have a ticket for the reserved area and all of the seats in that area are (presumably) good? I would think/hope that one of the advantages of booking the dining package is that you don't need to sit for an hour waiting for the show to start, but maybe that is not the case. Any advice? Thanks!
In my experience (which is almost always with the Hungry Bear package), some people will be lined up an hour+ early, so if you really want to be in the front row or the center aisle (for Hungry Bear or RBT), you’d want to be there then. If you don’t mind being a little farther back (which many people prefer - no rail in the way!) or a little off-center, you can definitely roll up about 20 minutes before showtime and be fine.

I usually do Blue Bayou, once Riverbelle Terrace. We go 45 - 60 mins before show time. The section is usually pretty full 30 mins before the show. While everyone that comes after does get a seat, they really crowd people in. The later people really end up squished in. And really, even a lot of people that got there early end up pretty squished. They really oversell the area IMO. One one time that I have gone the section was not crazy crowded. I still do the package every trip, sometimes twice, because I love not having to stand and being front and center. But it is crowded.

How early you line up for your section depends on how much you need/want a specific view/location in your section. If you must be up at the railing or be as close to the tape as possible or have a very specific spot for photography purposes or if your group is larger or special needs, then line up 60 minutes early (possibly more if the parks are very crowded, e.g. Holiday Time). If you are more spontaneous, tall, not picky about your spot, then 30 minutes should be fine. If you really don't care where you sit as long as you are in the reserved section and you are solo or two guests at the most, then show up at the last minute and see where you end up. Sometimes the sections aren't very crowded, and you might not be in the back after all.

I have shown up 10 minutes before the show started with hungry bear and was perfectly happy with my spot. It was just my toddler son and I and he didn’t “do” waiting very well back when we did this. I think if you have a larger party or want to sit in a specific part of the section you should probably show up earlier.

In my experience (which is almost always with the Hungry Bear package), some people will be lined up an hour+ early, so if you really want to be in the front row or the center aisle (for Hungry Bear or RBT), you’d want to be there then. If you don’t mind being a little farther back (which many people prefer - no rail in the way!) or a little off-center, you can definitely roll up about 20 minutes before showtime and be fine.

We're doing the HB package, and will have 4 adults and 6 kids, including some littles (2 yr-7yr). Do you think we should plan on queuing early for a rail seat? I've been a bit torn on whether it is better for us to line up at 90 minutes+, or take it easier. F! is one of my priorities because I haven't seen it since 2012, and I had been thinking it was crucial to have good views for the kids, but quite frankly they are just as happy to watch the video on tv so they might not be too concerned with great views, and the toddler might not even be awake!

We're doing the HB package, and will have 4 adults and 6 kids, including some littles (2 yr-7yr). Do you think we should plan on queuing early for a rail seat? I've been a bit torn on whether it is better for us to line up at 90 minutes+, or take it easier. F! is one of my priorities because I haven't seen it since 2012...

First, you'll have all day to get a feel for how crowded the park is that day. Second, when you pick up your HB meals, ask the CMs (ask more than one) how many packages were booked that day -- average? a lot? fewer than normal? That will give you an idea of how crowded your section might be (remembering that walk ups for HB can happen). Then split up your group. Have 2 adults wait for as long as you think you'll need to get the railing to the far right (next to the tape by the BB section) -- just like with WOC, have the F! viewing area map on your phone so you can show people for last minute review if necessary. Then you can all wait together for part of the time if the kids are up for it or just the two adults can wait and get your spots (since you said you'll do littles in front and biggers in back -- thus not taking up one long row at the rail) while the other two shepherds and kids join a little later. (Make sure the FPs are with the right people so everyone can get into the section!) Your kids are going to love being up close at the rail -- grown ups won't have a bad time either!
90+ minutes is usually only for WOC -- 60 (+ only during busy times or if you really have to have a specific spot) usually does the job for F! But, again, if you know which spot you've got to have, then do what you need to do. Will you regret not having the railing? (Personally, when we've had guests, I've never regretted putting in the time to get the railing for them.)

First, you'll have all day to get a feel for how crowded the park is that day. Second, when you pick up your HB meals, ask the CMs (ask more than one) how many packages were booked that day -- average? a lot? fewer than normal? That will give you an idea of how crowded your section might be (remembering that walk ups for HB can happen). Then split up your group. Have 2 adults wait for as long as you think you'll need to get the railing to the far right (next to the tape by the BB section) -- just like with WOC, have the F! viewing area map on your phone so you can show people for last minute review if necessary. Then you can all wait together for part of the time if the kids are up for it or just the two adults can wait and get your spots (since you said you'll do littles in front and biggers in back -- thus not taking up one long row at the rail) while the other two shepherds and kids join a little later. (Make sure the FPs are with the right people so everyone can get into the section!) Your kids are going to love being up close at the rail -- grown ups won't have a bad time either!
90+ minutes is usually only for WOC -- 60 (+ only during busy times or if you really have to have a specific spot) usually does the job for F! But, again, if you know which spot you've got to have, then do what you need to do. Will you regret not having the railing? (Personally, when we've had guests, I've never regretted putting in the time to get the railing for them.)
I agree, try to get closer to the front. I am not a big fan of being right at the rail because the rail interferes with the view. I like being back 10 ft or so. Small kids (3 years old) are usually fine to stand if they are not (much) taller than a sitting adult. I agree with @theluckyrabbit here - scope things out mid-day before the show. Everything happens on the water and island. Try sitting or kneeling or sitting down and let that be your guide.

I also agree with the idea of sending adults ahead. Two would be good, along with some sweaters or towels or something to mark out a spot. They should get there at least 60 minutes early - maybe 75. Yes they will be holding a place in line, so to speak, for others, but any reasonable person would rather have that than 6 active young children bouncing around them for an hour while they wait for the show.

:wizard:

how far in advance can i book a fantasmic dining pkg? i am arriving nov.

In theory, you can book up to 60 days in advance. In practice, Disney often does not make the reservations available until a few days (or even a week or more) after that. It's worth checking online and/or calling regularly once you get 60 days out from the date you want to book so you don't miss the release.

I usually do Blue Bayou, once Riverbelle Terrace. We go 45 - 60 mins before show time. The section is usually pretty full 30 mins before the show. While everyone that comes after does get a seat, they really crowd people in. The later people really end up squished in. And really, even a lot of people that got there early end up pretty squished. They really oversell the area IMO. One one time that I have gone the section was not crazy crowded. I still do the package every trip, sometimes twice, because I love not having to stand and being front and center. But it is crowded.
Is this for the first show or the second show? We are going to the second show in a couple of weeks so I am curious how crowded it will likely be (I would expect less of a crowd for the late show, the last time we did F! was when they had the desert party so it has been a while :) )

Is this for the first show or the second show? We are going to the second show in a couple of weeks so I am curious how crowded it will likely be (I would expect less of a crowd for the late show, the last time we did F! was when they had the desert party so it has been a while :) )
We did the second show (BB section) last summer, and it wasn't crazy crowded. All 3 dining packages were together, but went in this order: BB, RBT, then HB. The section was full-ish, but not absolutely packed. We lined up after fireworks finished, were maybe the third or fourth party in the BB line, and were allowed in about 10-15 minutes after we arrived.

We did the second show (BB section) last summer, and it wasn't crazy crowded. All 3 dining packages were together, but went in this order: BB, RBT, then HB. The section was full-ish, but not absolutely packed. We lined up after fireworks finished, were maybe the third or fourth party in the BB line, and were allowed in about 10-15 minutes after we arrived.
Thanks! This is kind of what I thought but I wanted to double check.

I always do the first show. I like to stay and watch the fireworks after. But less crowded would be nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter