Disneyland 8/2/21 - Group of 8

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
Happy to answer any questions I can.

Where: Disneyland
When: Monday, 8/2/21
Who: Two families of four. Four 40' and 50's adults, one 21 year old, and 3 children, ages 16, 12 and 7. One family lives in in Orange County and the other (including me) lives on the outskirts of the SF Bay Area.

We purchased 3 day 1 park per day CA resident tickets and this was the 1st of the three days. Remaining days will be used over Labor Day weekend.

First trip to DL in about 7 years but 4 of us make regular trips to WDW.

Six of us were on the app at 7am for the Rise of the Resistance (RotR) virtual queue and we were lucky enough to get boarding group 29. Approximate wait was 180 minutes.

Parked in the Mickey and Friends structure. Still no tram service, 10-20 minute walk depending on where in the structure you are parked and your walking pace. Security is done as you leave the lot, had a minimal wait.

Saw several groups have issues with tickets at the park entrance. No park reservation, wrong park reservation, other ticket issue, etc. This can be unfortunate if you are in line behind these folks as Disney does not typically have them step aside, you wait behind them until the issue is resolved, or you go to the back of another line.

We got into the entrance line at approximately 10am and saw our RotR reporting window had expired at 9:47am. Once through the line we went back to RotR and had no trouble being admitted.

Attractions:
RotR
Smuggler's Run
Splash Mountain
Winnie the Pooh
Big Thunder Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Indiana Jones
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
It's a Small World
Snow White
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Watched the fireworks from in front of Small World.

Lunch: Docking Bay 7
Dinner: Plaza Inn

Snacks: Churros, Beignets, Gibson Girl Ice Cream

The longer waits for the bigger attractions ranged from 30 minutes to just over an hour (Indy). If, and this is a big if, you were an efficient user of FP, not having it does decrease the amount of what you can do. The positive is the stand by lines all move at a reasonable pace. No longer does choosing stand by mean you will spend long periods of time not moving because the FP line got backed up.

The park was fairly crowded. Choke points like Adventureland were choked at times. But it was usually not uncomfortably packed.

We ate lunch around 12:15. 4 of us used mobile order and 4 of us just used the walk-up. Walk-up line was only 2 deep, no delays in getting food. Mobile order group waited an additional 15 minutes or so.

Plaza Inn dinner was about 7:30. No problem getting tables inside or outside. There were other people there of course, but not particularly crowded. Fried chicken and mashed potatoes were as delicious as ever.

RotR lives up to the hype. Incredible attraction. Smuggler's Run is a nice addition but nothing spectacular. The cockpit setting and interactivity are a plus over Star Tours, but over all I still prefer Star Tours.

Not a fan of the current fireworks show, Mickey's Mix Magic. The music consists of dance remixes of various Disney songs. This could have it's place in certain limited situations, but I can't say building an entire fireworks show around it is a good idea.

Mask requirements. I include this for informational purposes, not as a judgement in any way:

Disney has reinstated mask requirements for all guests while indoors and while on many attractions. Of the attractions we experienced, only Big Thunder had no mask requirement. Disney's enforcement is pretty good as long as there is a Cast Member near. For example, at Small World and Mr. Toad the boat would not be released until all had their mask on. Many attractions had a cast member at the entrance to the building making sure guests had a mask on before entering, and frequent announcements were made in the queues. However, when there are places where no cast member is present, compliance drops to something more like 80-90%. This would includes areas of the Indiana Jones and Space Mountain queues for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter