Disneyland and San Diego Hotel

ploeb said:
Lark, great idea! Do you stay on the water??? Let mw know how I can do this. :cool1: :thumbsup2

It's pretty much impossible to find places right on the water, but usually you can find places across the street. There are lots of timeshares up the coast, from La Jolla to Oceanside. Join redweek.com and you can learn all about them, and then there are about a zillion resources on the internet to learn about renting from owners. If you can be a little flexible, you'll find what you need. We stayed at Tamarack in Carlsbad last year. Great location. An hour from DL, 30 mins. from the zoo and seaworld, and 25 from the WAP.

Hi!
We were in SD last week and stayed at the Red Lion Hanalei for a convention. It is on Hotel Circle, which was very convenient. I went to La Jolla, SD Zoo, and Coronado Island while there. Each trip was less than 20 minutes or so. We live south of Dallas so SD traffic was easily managable in comparison to hometown traffic. Our room was nice and clean. We stayed on the 6th floor. Our friend had a room on the 1st floor and his room wasn't as nice as ours but it was still very clean. The grounds are very pretty. We are used to staying at Marriott's, Four Season's, and Wyndham's. This hotel is similar to a Holiday Inn, but we weren't disappointed. There is a mixture of hotels on the circle- everything from Best Western to Marriott Brands. I think it just depends on how much you are willing to spend and the level of amenities you want. Hotel Circle Dr is a good choice of location though.

PLUTO2 said:
Thanks for giving some great hotel choices. :goodvibes
Pluto2, when are you planning to stay and for how long? The reason I ask is, we often experience May grey and June gloom. During those 2 months locations near the beach are often overcast and chilly. I would recommend the Hotel Circle area if you plan on staying over those months. July thru October is great for the beach area, just a little more pricey during the summer.

SANDIEGOFAN said:
Pluto2, when are you planning to stay and for how long? The reason I ask is, we often experience May grey and June gloom. During those 2 months locations near the beach are often overcast and chilly. I would recommend the Hotel Circle area if you plan on staying over those months. July thru October is great for the beach area, just a little more pricey during the summer.

We hope to be going in early June for 5 days. We are not really looking for something on the beach mainly looking for something that is within range of Sea World and Zoo/Wild Animal Park. Thanks.

:wizard: Here's the hotel that we stayed at when we were there in 1999 (a while back, but we really enjoyed it)
http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=UYQRZNFT4UNLACSGBIV222QKIYFC5UUC
The things I liked; LOVED the warm chocolate chip cookies upon check-in! That was such a treat! This hotel has an outdoor & indoor pool, which is a plus because if the weather is bad...the kids can still swim! They had a great Sunday brunch also, with everything under the sun and a person walking around making balloon animals for the kids. It's next door to a shopping complex, there is a post office right next door, and a trolley that takes you to all sorts of places!
Heres some of the Trip Advisor reports:

my wife and i as well as two boys 6 and 10 loved this hotel....upon checking in warm chocolate chip cookies...the front desk clerk was katie very helpful,,matt and lindsey were great with my kids...the room was big plenty of room,the pool indoor and outdoor were clean and plenty of towels...the trolley station across the street is great for going to petco park and downtown.... easy access to get to legoland,wild animal park,lajolla..went down to tijuana just walked across border and back the kids were happy to be in another country.i loved where the hotel is located .two shopping malls within walking distance...the area bye the beachs can be a little seedy.this hotel was beautiful ,,,special thanks to katie,matt ,lindsey and francisco .would stay again

Stayed for 6 nights at the end of March. I paid for 4 nights through the Hilton website, net direct rate, and I had 2 free nights with Hilton Honors points. This is a very nice hotel. Within walking distance, there is a Joe's Crab Shack, Applebee's, Quizno's and a movie theater. The sign said there was a charge for parking ($12 per night), and they asked me if I was using the parking when I checked in (I said yes), but I was never charged for parking. There is a trolley station across the street, which is great.

Unlike the previous review, I had no problem with noise. Bed was comfy. I was not in an executive room, but I was on the Hilton Honors floor, and they brought cookies to the room every evening. Nice continental breakfast for Honors members and evening snacks. Staff was ok, not too friendly though. Would stay there again.

Just returned from a stay at this Doubletree, Mission Valley. The location is very convenient. It is only 20 minutes from La jolla and close to downtown. There is a huge mission valley shopping center 5 minutes away from the hotel. The excecutive floor was nice. But there is some poor design with the window insulation. You can definitely hear the freeway noise.
The hotel room is very clean and bed comfy.The front desk clerk forgot to give me the cookie upon checkin.
The evening reception is very nice on the executive floor. I couldn't believe they served crabcakes. If anyone wants to save money on parking fees, there is street parking right in front of the hotel. It's a dead end street and very safe. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. I would stay here again if the rates are good. btw, I forgot to mention that I had a nice plasma TV in my room, which was a nice touch.

Hope this helps!! We would stay there again....Kelly :sunny: :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter