Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
:crazy: The security lines sound a little daunting.... :scared: Wondering,do they get better later in the day? Say after a nice nap?:rolleyes1:flower1:
We come back around 5-ish and they aren't too terrible. The DTD side seems longer as a rule all the time. We got to the Harbour side at 7 for an 8 am open today at least 10-15 min wait.... They are slooooow and with everyone doing metal detectors now too- sooooo slow. Plan 15+ mins from the Harbour side, I heard the line was all the way down the RFC on Monday on DTD side..... we've been lucky and haven't dealt with that much waiting

I thought I'd post a few pictures and thoughts from our trip here since I'm not doing a full trip report. We were in the parks from Sunday the 4th - Wednesday the 7th. This was our first time visiting at Christmastime and I have to say, it quickly became my favorite. Everything was so magical and amazing! We kicked off our trip by buying APs for the first time ever and I am already planning our next trip. ;)

A few highlights, in no particular order:

We checked out a lot of the Festival of Holidays food while we were in DCA, but unfortunately I didn't get many pictures. A few highlights were the ceviche, bourbon cider, beer samplers, and jalapeño cornbread Mac and cheese. My son's favorite was the cookie decorating kit. Here is how his turned out.
IMG_2195.JPG

Our favorite part of the whole trip was definitely the World of Color Dessert Party. First of all, the dessert party itself was fantastic. This was our first time doing this (we had done a dining package in the past), and now I can't imagine watching the show any other way. Our waiter was very attentive, the desserts were actually pretty yummy, my son LOVED his special glow with the show cup, the view was fabulous, and most importantly- a chair and table to sit at! The show itself was spectacular! This was the third version we have seen and my favorite times a million. LOVED the Goofy part and the end had me tearing up- very touching. One of the final effects was unexpected (not something I've seen done in other shows) and uplifting.

We were able to catch a curbside seat for the Christmas parade about 40 minutes before it started and we had a great time. Definitely a fun parade that my son and the kids around us were enjoying. IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG
We also lucked out by getting a great spot for the fireworks about 50 minutes before start time. We sat on the curb right behind where they put the rope for the walkway by the hub. Right when the crowds started accumulating there, we stood up and got a spot right behind the rope. It worked out well for us because we didn't have to stake a spot for hours, but our son was able to see the show with no one standing in front of him. As for the show, there must have been some malfunction because about 30 seconds into the show, it stopped. A few minutes later it restarted. Even though we enjoyed the show, it didn't quite live up to the 60th fireworks for us. I'm not sure, but maybe it wasn't the full version (perhaps someone who watched the fireworks on the 5th would have better insight). We had a great view of the show last night from our hotel room and it *seemed* longer than when we saw it in the parks. The snow at the end was so magical. It was really lovely watching all of the kids in awe of the snow falling. Such a great moment.
IMG_2193.JPG

Yikes, this became way longer than I thought it would, so I'll stop there! I hope everyone who has already gone had a marvelous time, and everyone who will be visiting soon has a great visit!

Last edited:
I thought I'd post a few pictures and thoughts from our trip here since I'm not doing a full trip report. We were in the parks from Sunday the 4th - Wednesday the 7th. This was our first time visiting at Christmastime and I have to say, it quickly became my favorite. Everything was so magical and amazing! We kicked off our trip by buying APs for the first time ever and I am already planning our next trip. ;)

A few highlights, in no particular order:

We checked out a lot of the Festival of Holidays food while we were in DCA, but unfortunately I didn't get many pictures. A few highlights were the ceviche, bourbon cider, beer samplers, and jalapeño cornbread Mac and cheese. My son's favorite was the cookie decorating kit. Here is how his turned out.
View attachment 209471

Our favorite part of the whole trip was definitely the World of Color Dessert Party. First of all, the dessert party itself was fantastic. This was our first time doing this (we had done a dining package in the past), and now I can't imagine watching the show any other way. Our waiter was very attentive, the desserts were actually pretty yummy, my son LOVED his special glow with the show cup, the view was fabulous, and most importantly- a chair and table to sit at! The show itself was spectacular! This was the third version we have seen and my favorite times a million. LOVED the Goofy part and the end had me tearing up- very touching. One of the final effects was unexpected (not something I've seen done in other shows) and uplifting.

We were able to catch a curbside seat for the Christmas parade about 40 minutes before it started and we had a great time. Definitely a fun parade that my son and the kids around us were enjoying. View attachment 209472

View attachment 209475
We also lucked out by getting a great spot for the fireworks about 50 minutes before start time. We sat on the curb right behind where they put the rope for the walkway by the hub. Right when the crowds started accumulating there, we stood up and got a spot right behind the rope. It worked out well for us because we didn't have to stake a spot for hours, but our son was able to see the show with no one standing in front of him. As for the show, there must have been some malfunction because about 30 seconds into the show, it stopped. A few minutes later it restarted. Even though we enjoyed the show, it didn't quite live up to the 60th fireworks for us. I'm not sure, but maybe it wasn't the full version (perhaps someone who watched the fireworks on the 5th would have better insight). We had a great view of the show last night from our hotel room and it *seemed* longer than when we saw it in the parks. The snow at the end was so magical. It was really lovely watching all of the kids in awe of the snow falling. Such a great moment.
View attachment 209476

Yikes, this became way longer than I thought it would, so I'll stop there! I hope everyone who has already gone had a marvelous time, and everyone who will be visiting soon has a great visit!
We saw the same fireworks as you. I also thought it seemed "off".

I was trying to see if anyone knew if they had Santa at the Grand Californian or any of the Disney hotels this year. We had to let our passes go, but thought our daughter would enjoy a Santa visit at the grand and then get a treat there.

I was trying to see if anyone knew if they had Santa at the Grand Californian or any of the Disney hotels this year. We had to let our passes go, but thought our daughter would enjoy a Santa visit at the grand and then get a treat there.

Not sure of the schedule. But just keep in mind that depending on where you are staying, it might be more difficult getting in and out of the GCH if you are heading there before or after visiting the parks. With the new security arrangements that took effect today, you have to have a receipt from a purchase at GCH or a room key from the GCH to use either the DCA entrance OR the entrance from DTD.

We are looking to just visit the grand. so if we park for Downtown Disney, we cannot enter the hotel anymore?
Not sure of the schedule. But just keep in mind that depending on where you are staying, it might be more difficult getting in and out of the GCH if you are heading there before or after visiting the parks. With the new security arrangements that took effect today, you have to have a receipt from a purchase at GCH or a room key from the GCH to use either the DCA entrance OR the entrance from DTD.

Hello fellow holiday venturers,
Our plans shifted from a post New Year visit to a dec 28-Jan 1 trip. I've been enough to know that this is a crazy time to visit, but here's our hook....

We are going to Club 33 on the 29th and taking an 8 hour VIP tour on the 30th!

We are fortunate enough to make a connection with a member of Club 33 through a friend and he had one tour that needed to be used by the end of the year! He knows how much we wanted to do this and eat at Club 33. We immediately changed our plans to make this happen. We are staying off site as the reasonable rates were all gone for DLR hotels. While they could not guarantee Club 33 during our visit, we just got the awesome news that we are now confirmed for dinner at Club 33 on the 29th!

This is going to be a Holiday season that our family will cherish forever. Two bucket list items checked on the same trip.

It took nearly a year for this connection to come through and I have lots of other "hints" dropped to people I know have gone to Club 33. My advice is to be patient, keep asking anyone who will listen and hopefully you too will be showered with Pixie Dust. As a rule Members don't want just anyone to go on their name and you have to make sure they know how special this is to you and that you will not jeopardize their membership in anyway.

All of the stuff under the tree each year doesn't compare to the memories and special moments we share when we go on a Disney vacation.
Good luck and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. If you see us in the parks we will be the family with the ear to ear grin despite the crowds!
Mike

Hello fellow holiday venturers,
Our plans shifted from a post New Year visit to a dec 28-Jan 1 trip. I've been enough to know that this is a crazy time to visit, but here's our hook....

We are going to Club 33 on the 29th and taking an 8 hour VIP tour on the 30th!

We are fortunate enough to make a connection with a member of Club 33 through a friend and he had one tour that needed to be used by the end of the year! He knows how much we wanted to do this and eat at Club 33. We immediately changed our plans to make this happen. We are staying off site as the reasonable rates were all gone for DLR hotels. While they could not guarantee Club 33 during our visit, we just got the awesome news that we are now confirmed for dinner at Club 33 on the 29th!

This is going to be a Holiday season that our family will cherish forever. Two bucket list items checked on the same trip.

It took nearly a year for this connection to come through and I have lots of other "hints" dropped to people I know have gone to Club 33. My advice is to be patient, keep asking anyone who will listen and hopefully you too will be showered with Pixie Dust. As a rule Members don't want just anyone to go on their name and you have to make sure they know how special this is to you and that you will not jeopardize their membership in anyway.

All of the stuff under the tree each year doesn't compare to the memories and special moments we share when we go on a Disney vacation.
Good luck and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. If you see us in the parks we will be the family with the ear to ear grin despite the crowds!
Mike

The holidays can be a very lonely time! Let me know if we can keep you company at Club 33. pirate:

I am so excited to join this thread. We have never been to Disneyland for Christmas and have never been away for Christmas. It will be our first Christmas without real snow!

Have a wonderful time. We are heading to DLR for Christmas and New Year this year. We too have never been away for a major holiday and we (at least DH and I since the kids won't know until either the day of or the night before we leave) are so excited about it. I am also excited to be apart of this thread and hopefully a 2017 thread. So much planning to do :goodvibes.

Have a wonderful time. We are heading to DLR for Christmas and New Year this year. We too have never been away for a major holiday and we (at least DH and I since the kids won't know until either the day of or the night before we leave) are so excited about it. I am also excited to be apart of this thread and hopefully a 2017 thread. So much planning to do :goodvibes.

I love the surprise reveal. We have done that. It gets tempting to tell them as time goes on, but it's so much fun to keep to a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter