Disneyland DAS for anxiety and phobia

roxy72

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Good day! I would like to know as much as possible (details, please!) about the DAS when used at Disneyland. I have never considered asking for one as I've resigned myself with not going on rides due my anxiety, panic attack, and phobia-related issues. Basically, I have a lot of fears, and being strapped into a moving vehicle without any control or ability to leave is a bad situation in my head. I especially worry about the ride breaking down and being stuck or trapped somewhere for up to 30 minutes or however long it takes to get outta there.

Waiting in line leads to a lot of anticipatory anxiety and inevitably psyching myself out, then bailing at the last minute and getting really upset and frustrated with myself. When this happened in May '21 after I tried to go on the carousel, I cried in a corner - there was actually a good hidden and shaded spot behind a pillar near the exit of Pinocchio. 10/10 recommend this location for mentally breaking down.

So I thought maybe a DAS card might help- I could try to go on 1 ride a day, and wait somewhere else while psyching myself up. If I don't go on the ride, then at least I tried and it wasn't AS stressful as waiting in line. Basically, the card could up my chances of going on a ride. I appreciate any details about requesting and using the card, including personal anecdotes.

This is the really basic information about DAS from the official Disneyland website. Even though it is dated 2014, it is their current info.
Basically, to request it, you need to be able to discuss (briefly) you concerns/issues that prevent you from waiting in the traditional lines.
Also important to keep in mind, guests using DAS wait the same amount of time as other guests waiting for the attraction; the wait is just mostly outside of the line. When you return to go on the attraction, your wait in line is usually going to be short 10-20 minutes. Unforeseen things, like ride breakdowns, can increase the wait though or keep you inside of an attraction until it’s evacuate.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../dlr-disability-access-service_2014-12-09.pdf

Hi all,

Good day! I would like to know as much as possible (details, please!) about the DAS when used at Disneyland. I have never considered asking for one as I've resigned myself with not going on rides due my anxiety, panic attack, and phobia-related issues. Basically, I have a lot of fears, and being strapped into a moving vehicle without any control or ability to leave is a bad situation in my head. I especially worry about the ride breaking down and being stuck or trapped somewhere for up to 30 minutes or however long it takes to get outta there.

Waiting in line leads to a lot of anticipatory anxiety and inevitably psyching myself out, then bailing at the last minute and getting really upset and frustrated with myself. When this happened in May '21 after I tried to go on the carousel, I cried in a corner - there was actually a good hidden and shaded spot behind a pillar near the exit of Pinocchio. 10/10 recommend this location for mentally breaking down.

So I thought maybe a DAS card might help- I could try to go on 1 ride a day, and wait somewhere else while psyching myself up. If I don't go on the ride, then at least I tried and it wasn't AS stressful as waiting in line. Basically, the card could up my chances of going on a ride. I appreciate any details about requesting and using the card, including personal anecdotes.
Have you discussed this plan with your medical team? Rides do break down, and if it does there is no guarantee how long it will take to evacuate you from the ride.
Your description of anxiety makes me anxious for you and any other guests on a ride with you.
Sometimes things just are not safe or possible for everyone to do.
I don't go into caves because the very thought of being under/inside rock makes me panic. I've seen pictures of cave tours that look amazing, but nope. Can't do it. Hoover Dam I waited topside for my family to tour. Wish I could do those tours, but it just isn't a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter