Disneyland Discontinues Sales of New Southern California APs Again

Not a surprising move all things considered. I do wonder what other crowd control measures, if any, they will take to further prepare for Galaxy Edge’s opening.

Not surprised at all. Though I wonder what else they will be doing and if an AP price hike is next/when it will be announced.

Looks like an interesting half-step. Like they don't want to ruffle TOO many feathers, but prime the pump for the big drop.
This will only alleviate crowds a bit. Their active goal of pricing people out is a slow and calculated process.

I wonder why they choice the Southern California pass and not the SoCal Select pass (the one I have).

Likely due to the fact that the Select pass has already blocked out the key times needed to gain a bit more crowd control. It looks like the select pass has the summer, holidays, and weekends all year blocked out so it's a Mon-Fri pass during the less busy times. I wouldn't doubt that it will be a target for future pass reductions...
Mike

Not even close! They’re going to have to do a lot more to reduce crowds. Cutting one AP plan and raising prices aren’t going to cut it, I don’t think.
That assumes of course that Disney really wants to reduce crowds. Right now I just think they're ditching some of those lower paying AP folks to make room for some higher paying ones.

Ugh. I know people are happy about this, but I certainly am not. I was counting on getting that pass for my daughter's birthday in January. It was going to kick off our year as an AP family, and we were hoping to experience all the seasonal stuff. Having no weekend dates is just not convenient for a lot of families with two working parents. This is really disappointing.

I can renew my Premier AP starting tomorrow. Can I renew it as a SoCal AP or did that option go away the day before I could use it?

Last edited:
You don't think that's enough? :laughing:

Nope... I was there on a Saturday (October 14th) and did less than ever before... I've never accomplished so little due to crowds and this is well before any of the newest stuff opens and on a day this pass couldn't come in even. I'm not sure what they will do to manage it. I can't imagine trying to enjoy the park once the Star Wars stuff opens honestly.... I want to mind you, but :crazy2:

Last edited:
I can renew my Premier AP starting tomorrow. Can I renew it as a SoCal AP or did that option go away the day before I could use it?
The last time they stopped selling it you could still renew any existing pass to the SoCal pass. I don’t think we have any reports yet, so you will have to see tomorrow and let us know!

Ugh. I know people are happy about this, but I certainly am not. I was counting on getting that pass for my daughter's birthday in January. It was going to kick off our year as an AP family, and we were hoping to experience all the seasonal stuff. Having no weekend dates is just not convenient for a lot of families with two working parents. This is really disappointing.
I’m sorry about your disappointment. You can get the Deluxe instead, which will allow you to go Saturdays and more summer weekends. I honestly would never get a SoCal pass anyways because the crowds are really bad on the non-blackout days. Honestly the days when everything is blocked except Signature and higher passes are much lower crowds, so it is worth it to me to pay some more (and get better discounts and parking included).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!