Disneyland DownUnder thoughts.....

I think it eventually will too. I had thought about hopping on when that happens. The Langham in Melbourne already do this and have had several Disney themed successes. Obviously pitched for the young girls which couldn't be further from my demographic :P The princess brand is just so offensive.

I didn't think The Langham had 'actual princesses' at their events though?

I don't find the princess brand offensive at all, marketing genius if you ask me! And with 2 princesses of my own I sit firmly in the demographic;)

I agree that a park here wouldn't be as magical. I do think that a unique attraction like an Australian themed AK or another park without a castle would be better here. I remember when there was a Disney store at Crown, I wish they would bring them back! I still have a Snow White snowglobe on display in my room that I got there when I was in primary school.

Oh, how I miss the Disney Store! I think part of my need to always buy Mickey pyjamas is the fear that I mightn't be able to get them like I couldn't just after all the Disney Stores in Melbourne closed!

I didn't think The Langham had 'actual princesses' at their events though?

That's true, no meets and greets.

I don't find the princess brand offensive at all, marketing genius if you ask me! And with 2 princesses of my own I sit firmly in the demographic;)

I think from a marketing perspective it's great. Don't feel the heroines of the Disney films are portrayed as they were in their respective stories and Barbie-fied for merchandising. I think I've taken a Roy Disney view on that. Juggernaut though.

Oh, how I miss the Disney Store! I think part of my need to always buy Mickey pyjamas is the fear that I mightn't be able to get them like I couldn't just after all the Disney Stores in Melbourne closed!

I think they were good when they were around in Aus as they had items to appeal from babies to adults. I think in general though, the Disney Store in the US has become a very different shopping experience and seems to sell more cheaply made crap than some of the lovely things they once had on offer. I was quite stunned at how awful the items at the flagship Times Square store were. Pity ... fond memories.

I think they were good when they were around in Aus as they had items to appeal from babies to adults. I think in general though, the Disney Store in the US has become a very different shopping experience and seems to sell more cheaply made crap than some of the lovely things they once had on offer. I was quite stunned at how awful the items at the flagship Times Square store were. Pity ... fond memories.

I was so disappointed in the Paris one on Champs d'Elysee! Absolutely no theming whatsover, and all it had was cheap plastic kids stuff. Nothing there I was interested in at all.

I have to admit I haven't really been to any other Disney stores that aren't on Disney property, apart from the one at HK airport and Vegas outlet store, so I can't really comment on how they generally are. Some of them sound pretty amazing though :goodvibes

As much as I would love to not have to fly for 10+ hours for a Disney park - I'm with some of you in thinking an Australian park wouldn't be as magical, or even viable. I imagine it would be done on a much smaller scale than the US parks. Also I have to say that I just haven't felt the Disney magic as much at Tokyo and Paris as I have at the original Disneyland. The original will always be the best and the 'real' Disneyland for me! ( haven't been to WDW so can't compare that).

Also I've always wondered, if I lived close enough to have an AP and could go often, would it become less special? I think it would, like lots of things do if you do them too much.

The Bibbidi Bobbity Boutique idea is interesting, they have one in Harrods, also a Disney cafe, I was surprised to see that as I always assumed they were only in Disney parks. My girls are a bit old for that now but a couple of years back they would have loved it.

I'd love one in Australia but I don't think I'm ready to share. I agree, I don't think we can do customer service like the Americans either. Our wages are too high and it would be a very expensive day out were it here.

In regards to DCL coming here, I asked the captain on our first cruise on the Wonder and he said it'd be nice but the company has no plans in the future to base themselves here for even a season. He said 'no plans', not 'no foreseeable plans' which I took as a big fat rejection. He also said that we have some of the roughest oceans in the world down here.

I disagree that it wouldn't be as magical to have a Disney park here in Oz - I think it would be ultra magical! I've been to all the parks except Tokyo and they all have their own magic. If they built one anywhere in Australia I'd be first in the queue to get an annual pass and I'd go as often as I possibly could.

Being a Melbourne person I'd rather they built it here, but even if they built on the goldcoast I'd be up there at least four times a year to soak up some Disney magic!

:sad2:
Disney actually looked at land in western Sydney ( where the Australia's Wonderland) park was was.
It was in my local paper, a story and photos about it and the people from Disney decided against it as they said they would not draw in the crowds to have a park in Australia.
I tell you I was so excited when I found out they were over here looking, but it wasn't to be.

Disney has toyed with bringing a park down under for years. They have talked to the governments of Qld, NSW, and VIC. So far, nothing has panned out.

They have also discussed a resort that would hook up with the Disney Adventures offered here. Again, nothing yet (but might be a better chance).

We had Disney Store here but it was removed when DS international was cut (if you don't have a park in your country or the one across the pond from you in England's case, you don't get a store...sigh).

Now, what is the latest that I have heard on the books? Disney is still interested in Australia. They would like to have a property here (resort/park/something) but currently it's too expensive. - think about the kick backs Qld had to give to get PotC movie here - My understanding is that we will be keeping the Adventures by Disney. The cruiseline is looking at a Syd or Bris to top end sail sometime in the near future (when I openly asked when that would be, I was told, 'hoping for within the next 5 years'). I suggested that a Sydney to NZ cruise would be awesome... :rolleyes1

Have you heard about the backroom dealings with DC/Warner Bros? If Disney does get the companies - as unlikely as I think it is that they will - Disney would then have access to MovieWorld. :confused3

I can imagine Down Under Disney with $5 for water and $7 for a coke!

nice thread though, i never realised that Disney Paris has such good reports.

Now, what is the latest that I have heard on the books? Disney is still interested in Australia. They would like to have a property here (resort/park/something) but currently it's too expensive. - think about the kick backs Qld had to give to get PotC movie here - My understanding is that we will be keeping the Adventures by Disney. The cruiseline is looking at a Syd or Bris to top end sail sometime in the near future (when I openly asked when that would be, I was told, 'hoping for within the next 5 years'). I suggested that a Sydney to NZ cruise would be awesome... :rolleyes1

DCL sailing from Australia? I would be ALL OVER THAT.

Disney has toyed with bringing a park down under for years.

Have you heard about the backroom dealings with DC/Warner Bros? If Disney does get the companies - as unlikely as I think it is that they will - Disney would then have access to MovieWorld. :confused3

Well I'd definitely love the idea of a Disney Cruise out of Sydney or Brisbane. I've eaten on the Disney Magic once in port canaveral back in December 1998. It definitely left me wanting more one day. My kids are 8 & turning 10 (in Nov) plus one on the way.... So I hope it's sooner rather than later so we could enjoy a family trip. I'd like to take them all to Florida and do a Caribbean cruise but this would definitely save on flights and still be magical. The GBR is stunning!!!

Where did you here this from???

While we were in Las Vegas we were shown a huge area that disney had brought. They didnt know what for but it was a large area. So wish they would do that here - stupid government. I am also hoping that they bring disney cruising here, we loved our time on The Dream and we are now looking at booking more cruises. Our problem is that we are told its best to stick with one cruise company because of the perks. But to sail around Australia and new zealand areas there is no Disney to choose from. so do we split our cruises and miss out on the perks???? decisions decisions. - 1st world problems!;)

While we were in Las Vegas we were shown a huge area that disney had brought. They didnt know what for but it was a large area. So wish they would do that here - stupid government. I am also hoping that they bring disney cruising here, we loved our time on The Dream and we are now looking at booking more cruises. Our problem is that we are told its best to stick with one cruise company because of the perks. But to sail around Australia and new zealand areas there is no Disney to choose from. so do we split our cruises and miss out on the perks???? decisions decisions. - 1st world problems!;)

tashinwdw we can dream together. Did u read the previous quote in my last post??? That Disney plans a cruise up East Coast sometime in the next 5 years. How awesome would that be?!bpixiedust:

Also I've always wondered, if I lived close enough to have an AP and could go often, would it become less special? I think it would, like lots of things do if you do them too much.

Hello there! I'm one of the Southern California locals with an AP and with a Fiance with an AP who moved her on her Fiance Visa from Sydney Australia! :)

I've been going to Disneyland in Anaheim since I was 4 and now 28. I would say it has not become less special, it has become more appreciated that I know I live within an hour drive distance. For me, it has become more special because that's my favorite place and I can go to it when I'm able to. I still feel the magic each time. And it really helps when you have someone to go with like your partner who is also just as a big Disney fan as you are! :D

I can recommend watching a couple excellent YouTube videos which explain how tantalisingly close Disney have come to opening resorts in Australia.

This first one focuses on a resort Disney were planning to build in Sydney Harbour:

This second one explains where we are with regards to any Disney resort in Australia:

Hello there! I'm one of the Southern California locals with an AP and with a Fiance with an AP who moved her on her Fiance Visa from Sydney Australia! :)

I've been going to Disneyland in Anaheim since I was 4 and now 28. I would say it has not become less special, it has become more appreciated that I know I live within an hour drive distance. For me, it has become more special because that's my favorite place and I can go to it when I'm able to. I still feel the magic each time. And it really helps when you have someone to go with like your partner who is also just as a big Disney fan as you are! :D
As someone who grew up in Florida and still is within driving distance of WDW, I popped in here to assure the doubters that being near a Disney park doesn't ruin the magic in the least. So if you ever do get one, just thank your lucky star and enjoy it. :)
It did ruin most other amusement/theme parks for me, to the point where I really have had to work to appreciate aspects of the local theme park around here that the local folks here grew up with and have a lot of nostalgia for (psst: it still doesn't compare to Disney World.)
But as someone above pointed out, having an annual pass might change things. I've never had that, so I can't say if it would or not.
(FWIW, the reason I was on this forum is I was making my way down the "other lands" to the Tokyo Disney threads, as I've recently cancelled a June trip to Japan, for obvious reasons.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!