• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Hotel or GCH w/3 kids under 11

LinnieMinnie2

Earning My Ears
Now that I've convinced my DH to go to DL in February. We are confused on where to stay. We were going to spend 7 nights at the GCH, however, now I'm not sure if the kids would like the DLH better.

We always stay at the Polynesian when we go to WDW. This will be our first time to DL and we are cancelling our 13th stay at WDW. Hopefully we are making the right choice? :rolleyes1

I absolutely love the DLH. However, if you are used to the Poly the GC might be better for you. Since the DLH was bought by Disney and not built by Disney the lobby doesn't have that over the top "WOW" feeling that the deluxes have at WDW. It has some nice Disney touches but not the spectacular nature that the GCH has (reminds me of the Wildnerness Lodge). On the other hand, the room and pool are where you will spend most of your time. I can tell you that the rooms at the DLH are very oversized and always have a daybed or you can get a free rollaway (hate that most WDW resorts don't have rollaways). The pool is very cool at the DLH but so is GCH's! GCH has the famous Whitewater Snacks near their pool. GCH is very convenient to DTD and California Adventure but not much more convenient to Disneyland than the DLH. I have heard some people comment that the rooms at the GCH are smaller and can be a ways from the elevators. I don't think I am being much help except to say that either hotel is pretty nice in its own way! Also, most of the rooms at the GCH have a small balcony, the DLH has sliding window/door type thing that opens to let the air in but not a balcony. Good luck with your decision, have you thought about splitting your stay? Grand Californian gets higher reviews than the DLH but since I haven't stayed there I guess I don't know what I am missing and have always been thrilled with each of our 5 stays at the DLH.

I took my 5 and 8 year old nephew to disneyland. I stressed because I really want to stay at the "nicest" hotel by GC was a stretching my budget to far. After debating I decided on the DLH, we loved it. We went to visit the GC and I really didnt like it. There was something about the DLH that we loved.

We just got back from DL and we stayed at the GC for the first time. (All other trip were at the DLH.) My DH and I both agree that we prefer the DLH.
Don't get me wrong, the GC is wonderful! The lobby and grounds are amazing!!! We had Theme Park view and it's really hard to describe just how cool it is to sit on your balcony and watch the monorail whiz by or the geysers going off on GRR! That said, we like the DLH better. The rooms are larger, the grounds more appealing (to us) and it is closer to DL via the monorail.
The GC is a very sprawling hotel and our walk to the elevator was LONG!!! (I had read a few complaints about this before we left and honestly thought they were exaggerating!!!) We were in rooms 3446 & 3448 if you want to look on the map. The elevator for our wing wasn't even in the main building!!
The plus to the GC was it's closeness to DCA. We found it was usually faster to go through DCA to get into DL, but I prefer taking the monorail from DLH.
The beds at the GC were wonderful!!
Amy&Dan is right, the GC does have balconies and I have never had a room with one at the DLH. But they have the slider and you can pull your chair up.
I have to agree with klh999 the DLH just has a really good feeling!
We are making our first trip to WDW this fall, so I can't give you a comparison to the Poly. I have heard WDW people express disappointment with the DLH because they don't feel it's as "Themed" as the WDW resorts.
I think you and your DH will be happy with either and I bet the kids would prefer the DLH. (And think of the souvenirs you can get with the money you'll save!!) :banana:

I just read your header and saw you will have 3 kids. Keep in mind that the GC does not have rollaway beds. Even if you request a king/bunk room they do not guarantee it. You may end up with a queen double and a sleeping bag with mat for the floor!!! (If you're planning on 1 room.)

We just got back from a week at DLH. While I said if we go again, I'll want to stay at GC - liked the restaurants, the lobby, the feel, I'm glad we did DLH this time (DSs 7&9). With 3 kids, I think you'd like the DLH. We were surprised by how big the hotel room was (how many times does that happen!!) and even though there's only 4 of us, the day bed came in very handy when my 7yo got sick on vacation and we were trying to avoid spreading the germs..one son stayed in the queen bed and one moved to the day bed.

Even other than that, it was so nice to have comfortable places to sit without sitting on the beds all the time. (You know, more personal space, less wrestling and fighting among the kids!!)

speedi-deedi said:
We just got back from a week at DLH. While I said if we go again, I'll want to stay at GC - liked the restaurants, the lobby, the feel, I'm glad we did DLH this time (DSs 7&9). With 3 kids, I think you'd like the DLH. We were surprised by how big the hotel room was (how many times does that happen!!) and even though there's only 4 of us, the day bed came in very handy when my 7yo got sick on vacation and we were trying to avoid spreading the germs..one son stayed in the queen bed and one moved to the day bed.

Even other than that, it was so nice to have comfortable places to sit without sitting on the beds all the time. (You know, more personal space, less wrestling and fighting among the kids!!)
Which Tower were you in? We've only had a daybed in Bonita. This is the main reason I prefer this tower. The rooms are alot bigger than the GC.

We were in the Sierra tower. I'm not sure if the ample room size holds true for the Marina tower. When we were at the pool, we noticed that the Marina tower rooms looked smaller, because, we had 4 sections of glass at the balcony (the middle two slide to either side to open) while the Marina tower only had three - I couldn't tell for certain that they were smaller, but it sure looked like the Bonita and Sierra rooms were wider.

speedi-deedi said:
We were in the Sierra tower. I'm not sure if the ample room size holds true for the Marina tower. When we were at the pool, we noticed that the Marina tower rooms looked smaller, because, we had 4 sections of glass at the balcony (the middle two slide to either side to open) while the Marina tower only had three - I couldn't tell for certain that they were smaller, but it sure looked like the Bonita and Sierra rooms were wider.
The one time we were put in the Marina Tower we requested a move to Bonita. I agree that the Marina rooms are quite a bit smaller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter