Disneyland Hotel vs Grand Californian - Anyone try both?

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
I'm looking for opinions on Disneyland Hotel vs Grand Californian. Has anyone stayed at both? How do they compare? How about their concierge levels?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Cali-D ;)

So far, I've only stayed at the Grand Californian. We will be staying at Disneyland Hotel on June 15th for a couple of nights. I will be glad to report about that when we get back.

As far as the GC, we loved it! My kids only want to stay there--they aren't convinced that they will probably like DLH better (mostly because of the pool).

When we arrived at the hotel to check in--we were told that the hotel was oversold--the only room they had was room with a view of the courtyard area that you can see the monorail going thru. We really wanted a room with a better view. The room had 2 Queen beds. I believe that the room had a DVD player. I think it was conceirge level too. They didn't really make it clear that we were on the conceirge level--until we inquired about DVD's--I guess you get them free when you stay on the conceirge level.

We asked if another room became available with a better view and bunk beds if we could be moved. We were later given a room with a view of the pool and DCA. This room wasn't concierge level. I didn't really notice a big difference in the size--I think it was the same. This room had bunk beds. We had a nice balcony too. We really liked being able to sit out on the balcony at night. The room was nice--alittle on the small side though.

We really liked the hotel lobby area. There is a huge fireplace with nice rocking chairs for kids and adults to sit in. Outside there is a neat fireplace and sitting area too.

We ate at Whitewater Snacks for lunch by the pool one day--it was pretty good. The Storytellers Cafe was good for breakfast. They have a character buffet and you can also order off of the menu.

We really liked having the private entrance to DCA. It came in handy when the kids wanted to ride Grizzly at night right before the parks closed--they could get wet and then we just went up to the room to get changed out of our soaked clothes!

I'll let you know how we like DLH when we get back after our upcoming trip!
Sue:)

Thank you for the review!!! I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about the Disneyland Hotel when you return! ;)

I have stayed at both and really like both. It is a tough decision.
The Disneyland hotel is quite a bit older and consists of three towers built at different times in 60's and 70's. They are not particularly great looking on the outside. The rooms are big and just recenty remodeled with lots of Disney attraction drawings on the bedspreads, Pixie dust border paper that glowes in the dark for a while after turning off the lights and large sliding doors that open against a railing outside.. I just got back from a stay there a week ago. The 3 towers form a U shape and in the center of the U are the three pools ( one with a Neverland theme) a couple restaurants, waterfalls, gardens and shops. I love the size of the rooms and the way the doors open up into the air ( there are no balconies. The front of the hotel is not particularly memorable. The restaurants are good (Hook's Point is really good) and it feels very Disney.
The Grand Californian is attractive from the front and is one large building with wings in the "Craftsman" architectual style. The Check in area is pretty and the lobby is awesome. It is very "woodsy" with lots of dark wood siding,rafters and lots of stone and tile. The rooms are what I consider small for an expensive hotel but are decorated very nice and are comfortabl. The are also a bit woodsy with Frank Lloyd Wright styling. They have balconies here. There are two pools one with a slight redwood theme. The pools area has a view of the higher rides of Paradise Pier. The hotel is located right next to ( Disney claims it is inside) DCA. It has a private entrance and we could be inside the park with in one minute of leaving our room. The two restaurants are very nice looking. I have eaten only at Storyteller Cafe and it is good. The "food court" is nice looking and seems to have alot to choose from though I only got a coffee.
The Grand Californian is the most convenient to both parks and is a upsclae and wonderful hotel.
The Disneyland is an older hotel, less themed looking on the outside but feels like it has more Disney Magic.
Hoep this helps a bit.

We enjoyed the GC much more than the DL hotel. Just my opinion, but the DLH is not worth the extra $$ over Paradise Pier. I felt that PP was cleaner, better maintained and had the same Disney magic for much less. DLH is closer than the PP though.

You can't beat the GC, the location and theming are excellent. I say spend the extra on the GC especially since you are coming from across the country and may not get to DL much (?).

Sorry, we've never stayed concierge so I can't comment on that.

Susan

I would agree with Peter Pan Fan about Paradise Pier over the Disneyland Hotel. We stayed there over Cinco de Mayo weekend in a room overlooking the California Adventure. Very exciting! In addition, we were celebrating my grandmother's 90th birthday while we were there. I called in advance and asked for something "magical" to be waiting for us when we arrived. The cast members brought in festive balloons and an autographed photo of Mickey, personalized just for g'ma. Needless to say, I'm a Paradise Pier fan for life.

The only thing I would suggest is you not stay on the 12th floor. I understand that that 13th floor is smoking and we definitely smelled it, in spite of the cms' best efforts to clean our room of that nasty smell.

We've also stayed at GC. We felt that, for the money, PP was a better value. However, if you come out to DLR very infrequently, definitely take splurge and stay at the GC. We will definitely stay at GC again, just not as often as PP (we go to DLR at least 4x a year).

By the by... we have not stayed in Concierge at any of the DLR hotels - so I can't compare those.

Hope you enjoy the place where the magic began!!!

I also agree with peter pan. We stayed at dl a few years ago and I wrote a 2 page complaint about it. I was very disappointed with the accomodations considering that they are $$. Fortunately, disney made things right by offering us a complimentary 2 bedroom (which was very nice) but my understanding was that is was $600/night!!! We had breakfast with minnie, and felt the PP was very nice..so unless you are willing the stay in a suite at dl, I don't think that it is worth it.

We stayed at all 3 last year. My preferences in order are :

1. PP--A great value. Large rooms, close and access to Neverland Pool.

2. DH--Would be my first choice if my kids were under 8--love all the activity.

3. GC--Overrated and overpriced. Small rooms. And the theming just doesn't work (unless the view in the California Redwoods includes amusement park rides.) By the way, I stayed on the concierge level if that's what you want to call it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter