Disneyland Hotel vs The Grand Californian

hls136

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip next year to Disneyland and are considering either booking a room at the Disneyland Hotel or renting DVC points for a room at the Grand Californian. I'm really torn because I am a huge Disney fan and really wanted to stay the the Disneyland Hotel since its been there the longest and has all the cute disney touches especially the headboards on the beds but it will cost us more then renting DVC points at the Grand Californian (which I'm not crazy about the decor or that excited about the room). What are the pros and cons of both and where would be the best one to stay at for 2 adults to tour the parks?

Are you planning on spending most of the time in the parks or have some non-park time too?

Having stayed at the DLH that would be my vote. The different towers, the history, the pools, all awesome. People who love the GCH will tell you can't go wrong with that option either.

In the end, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. Choose the one that is the best for your budget. You can always wander through either one and enjoy it.

Have fun!

Both hotels are excellent - you cannot go wrong either way and so I would go with the cheaper option. DLH is full of nostalgia and to me is more kid oriented. The highlights at DLH are the Monorail Pool slides (awesome) and Trader Sam's (super fun tiki bar). The Grand CA is just lovely, lovely - more comfortable, more adult in some ways. Highlights at the Grand are luxurious public spaces, easy access to Napa Rose (best single restaurant at any theme park in the U.S. IMHO), and proximity to the parks (depending on which room you get) as you can walk right off a DCA ride and be back in your room in 10 min. Pick either one and enjoy it. You can always visit the public spaces at the other hotel.

I love the DLH but would never pay more for it than the GC.

Sadly I normally don't plan DLR trips 11 months out..but if you are going to i say VGC all the way..you can't beat the location and DCA entrance

DLH used to be my favorite Disney hotel. But ever since my 1st stay at GCH it's taken over as #1. Especially the villas. DLH is still great, but the location of GCH can not be beat.

Having stayed at both, I would vote GC because with kids, I found DLH too far. However, without the kids, I would personally choose the one that was cheaper :) especially since I would be out in the parks more than in the hotel. But I appreciate for some, the little touches are important and are worth the extra $. I also don't mind the distance as I enjoy walking - apparently, I'm a fast walker here in Disneyland :) We are here now. I would say select the one that comes with the least regret. Good luck with your decision - you can't lose either way as mentioned by others.

Definitely depends on how long you plan to spend in the parks and how you plan your days. Last trip we were DLH, this trip we are renting DVC at GC. But we made that decision for this trip solely based on proximity (we have 3 young children). I've stayed at both resorts several times over the years. If you are going to be from rope drop till after close in the parks I wouldn't pay for either resort. If you want to spend some evenings at your hotel than I would do DHL for Trader Sams. If you want to hit magic mornings, then get back to your hotel after lunch for the afternoon at the pool, then pop back to the parks for dinner/ shows, then GC. Sidetone: if your trip falls anytime around the holidays, then GC for sure (the christmas tree!).

I used to like the DLH hotel more with the history and old school Disney feel, but since the remodel its lost a lot of that old Disney magic and doesn't have the same feel. I would never pay more for it than GCH. If you are going to spend a lot of time at the Hotel GCH is a lot more relaxing IMO and tends to have more activities, and the food by the pool is really good.

Pros to renting a DVC villa: you'll have kitchen facilities or if in a studio, will have a microwave in addition to the fridge. You'll have a patio/balcony. Easy walk back to room from DCA if you need to change or just take a break.
Cons: no daily housekeeping. If you are in a studio, ridiculously small room.

Pros to Disneyland Hotel: Might be able to ride monorail into DL. The overall theme of the place is similar to DL. The restaurants/bars/coffee house are good.
Cons: can feel like a really long walk back to room at end of day. No patio/balcony. Rooms pretty small and I've never felt like doing anything in them other than sleep - just doesn't feel comfortable.

Either place you choose to stay, you can visit the other one for eating, drinking and shopping (Grand's shop is very small). I like the grounds and food choices at DLH, but I don't like their rooms. I will often spend a couple hours there without staying at the hotel. I prefer to stay at the Grand.

We are planning a trip next year to Disneyland and are considering either booking a room at the Disneyland Hotel or renting DVC points for a room at the Grand Californian. I'm really torn because I am a huge Disney fan and really wanted to stay the the Disneyland Hotel since its been there the longest and has all the cute disney touches especially the headboards on the beds but it will cost us more then renting DVC points at the Grand Californian (which I'm not crazy about the decor or that excited about the room). What are the pros and cons of both and where would be the best one to stay at for 2 adults to tour the parks?

You did not specify if you were renting " a room" hotel side with points OR a villa. If for the only obvious of being able to ENTER directly into the park PLUS a great possible view of the park then the GC hotel room is good! :love:

However if you were renting a 1 or 2 bedroom at the villas at Grand Californian then as previous poster has mentioned the full kitchen is nice to have available as well as the 2 FULL bathrooms & in room washer/dryer if needed. 2 gas BBQ grills also available for villa guests. :cloud9:

Just thought to give you my point of view from a DVC member of 10 years! :D

How much is the difference? Is it hotel room vs studio? A studio is pretty much a hotel room with a microwave and little fridge. If prices are close for a similar room, I would pay a fair amount for the freedom to cancel without penalty. We stay at VGC all the time because we own there, but there is some financial risk to renting points that don't exist on a hotel reservation.

That said, of the two, I would prefer Grand Californian. It's closer and in the Disney bubble more, imo. Plus, I love the decor. If you have a 1 BR, you would have a kitchen, an extra bathroom (master with jetted tub and separate shower), and washer/dryer, which we love.

Edited to add: Also, in addition to having more risk renting DVC points, depending on the time of year, you may need to find an owner at Grand Californian. I have booked rooms there with my other points before, but one of the reasons we bought there is that it is not a given that rooms will be available at 7 months.

Last edited:
...Edited to add: Also, in addition to having more risk renting DVC points, depending on the time of year, you may need to find an owner at Grand Californian. I have booked rooms there with my other points before, but one of the reasons we bought there is that it is not a given that rooms will be available at 7 months.
Good point. A Studio will likely require renting from a VGC owner.

How much is the difference? Is it hotel room vs studio? A studio is pretty much a hotel room with a microwave and little fridge. If prices are close for a similar room, I would pay a fair amount for the freedom to cancel without penalty. We stay at VGC all the time because we own there, but there is some financial risk to renting points that don't exist on a hotel reservation.

That said, of the two, I would prefer Grand Californian. It's closer and in the Disney bubble more, imo. Plus, I love the decor. If you have a 1 BR, you would have a kitchen, an extra bathroom (master with jetted tub and separate shower), and washer/dryer, which we love.

Edited to add: Also, in addition to having more risk renting DVC points, depending on the time of year, you may need to find an owner at Grand Californian. I have booked rooms there with my other points before, but one of the reasons we bought there is that it is not a given that rooms will be available at 7 months.

I didn't account for the risk factor of renting points vs booking a hotel room. We have never had to cancel a vacation but you never know what the future brings you. If we did rent points it would be for a one bedroom. We would be traveling next September so not sure how that plays into availability issues.

I didn't account for the risk factor of renting points vs booking a hotel room. We have never had to cancel a vacation but you never know what the future brings you. If we did rent points it would be for a one bedroom. We would be traveling next September so not sure how that plays into availability issues.
Being that VGC is always high demand, if you had to cancel, it should be easy for you to find a replacement or for the owner to find a replacement. However, most people who are renting their points will be very strict that you cannot cancel your reservation. It's too much a hassle for them and since most will want the money upfront, your money will already be spent. That said, the one bedrooms are very nice. If you don't mind the lack of housekeeping, I do recommend staying in the one bedroom unit over a hotel room at DLH. Just be cautious on the cancellation policy. Owners can book 11 months in advance. You will want to look into it now for booking next September.

The grand! We love coming and going through the lobby and think the rooms are lovely. The balcony is important to us and we missed having it when we stayed at the DLH.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom VGC villa and it was UH-mazing (5th floor). We totally felt like we were in the Disney bubble. It helped having a great park view too. My favorite memories are drinking my morning coffee in the chair in front of the living room window, watching the cast members get DCA ready to open. :love: Watching WoC from the room with the music piped in on the TV was so cool. I had NO trouble getting my kids back to the room at night ("Do you wanna do another ride or make it back in time to watch WoC?").
858798_10151487359956180_1476495894_o.jpg

DH & I got to try DLH this past january and it was a big disappointment. Wish we would've stayed at VGC again instead. The headboard was cool at first, but the novelty wears off in 2 minutes. We missed having a microwave (don't think we had a fridge either?). The view was meh. The mattress was terrible (caved in the middle and I had neck pain after) and the room def showed its age. We're not fans of the contemporary decor either. We have no desire to ever stay again. We did, however, just buy points at VGC so we can stay there every year now! :teeth:

I also am considering Disneyland hotel versus the villas at GC. There will be 4 of us. Is the pullout sofa in the studio ok for 2 to sleep on. They are pretty much adult size people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter