Disneyland house rentals

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
Have you ever rented a house close to Disneyland? If so, how did it work out for you? Was the area sketchy? I've never laid eyes on the neighborhood that is next to the Disneyland resorts, but I know some areas of Anaheim can get a little questionable.

We just got back from a WDW trip and had an amazing time. We did not take my oldest kids who are in their twenties because they had other stuff going on in addition to the fact that it would have cost an arm and a leg to fly there from Oregon (with girlfriends and kids etc). They are not financially able to do it on their own. BUUUUT We would like to take them in a few years (one is having a baby soon, so we want to wait a bit) We thought the best way to do it might be to do a rental house for a week. We did three nights in Cocoa beach with a rental cottage and it was so wonderful I wished we could have stayed longer. But I know that is not always the case.

Any experiences with the rental houses over there? (through VRBO or Homeaway)

Anaheim has cracked down on rentals of homes so you'll want to make sure that the home that you rent is properly licensed with the city.

Don't do it. The entire residential area surrounding the resort is super sketchy. There are even hotels along Katella that you couldn't pay me to stay at. Plus, short term vacation rentals are not permitted within city limits so if you find one, it's likely operating illegally.

We stayed in a beautiful house just off Walnut St behind the Disneyland hotel. This was in 2014 and the house is no longer a rental property.

But I disagree with the above poster, the area was lovely and we still felt like we were in the Disneyland bubble.

We are planning a trip for sept/Oct 2019 and had a villa booked right across the street from the Mickey and Friends parking structure, however this fell through due to the new city crackdown on short term rentals... the villa we had organised is only licensed upto 31 August 2019.

For us we prefer a private residence, since we travel from NZ and stay for a while, next trip will be 12 nights, it gives us space to spread out and also cook to save money etc.

We now realise our only option is to either stay outside of Anaheim and drive to be parks each day, or what we have decided to do is find a suite hotel within walking distance. We will probably book Homewood suites near the convention centre.

Garden Grove is only a mile away and you may find a rental there. There are also apartment type hotels there that aren't too expensive such as Homewood Suites and Dolphin's Cove.

Don't do it. The entire residential area surrounding the resort is super sketchy. There are even hotels along Katella that you couldn't pay me to stay at. Plus, short term vacation rentals are not permitted within city limits so if you find one, it's likely operating illegally.

Not completely true. There are quite a few homes that are grandfathered in and have gotten extensions to stop operating.

Information re: Anaheim STRs:
https://www.anaheim.net/574/Short-Term-Rental-Program

Newspaper articles:
https://www.ocregister.com/?returnU...p-extension-to-avoid-start-of-ban-in-february

and

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/03/...th-short-term-rental-owners-instead-of-court/

There are 300 approved STRs in the City of Anaheim.

Hi! We have stayed at this one, and this one. Both were great! We had no issues and really enjoyed our time at each home. We were never afraid and it was lovely having some elbow room. With that being said, for us, nothing beats staying on property. Then we avoid the parking garage, long security line at the garage, and the wait for the tram. Good luck!

... Then we avoid the parking garage, long security line at the garage, and the wait for the tram. Good luck!
Agree that avoiding the parking garage will avoid a lot of hassle in the mornings. But we don't encounter long lines at security at M&F -- the long lines we see are consistently at the Harbor bag check. And we usually don't wait more than a few minutes for a tram going to the parks. Coming back... different story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!