Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

I'm exhausted, but... Cinderella... from Cinderella
Ooooooh - taking the lead right there at the end. It's looking good for you....

I did remember that you don't like shopping.
And yes. You are totally and completely doomed.
:sad:

Oh my gosh--that crying picture! Are you trying to break my heart? Give the girl ice cream for breakfast, candy, clothes, diamonds, whatever it takes! Just don't make her look that sad again!
I know! She made me cry! :laughing:

Your hotel room looks pretty comfy--yay, room service!
I was very pleasantly surprised with our room, which was not at all expensive. :thumbsup2

Why do I have a feeling she's a natural at working an ATM?
Oh, shut your mouth!!! :scared1: You are SO RIGHT! :faint:

OOH I really like this.
I had a feeling that you in particular would really like that one. :goodvibes

I know the photo before this is technically "cuter" but this one really speaks to me. This is the look I picture every child having when meeting character. Happiness, wonder, amazement, joy. This is a Disney advertisement.
Awwww - that's so sweet. I really liked this one too.

:sad: Yeah, you're creating a whole brochure for Disney I'm pretty sure.
:goodvibes

This was a really, really hard end of trip. Moreso than any other, I think.

Roni!!! My feels!!! Too many feels!!!!
Sorry!!!! There was no other quotation that would work here. :sad1:

I have no problem admitting to sitting here with tears streaming down my face right now. No joke.
Honestly, I have a hard time not tearing up over it myself. She was just SO sad about leaving this time.

Roni, you are raising a genius.
Ha! I'm raising a little Mini-Me-Lawyer. *sigh*

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
pkondz: 26 points
Courtney (courtneybelle): 24 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
Andy (afwdwfan): 9 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 8 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 7 points
Dugette: 6 points
Kathy (KatMark): 4 points
Gracefulskinny: 4 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
lozzypop: 2 points
petals: 1 point
Rory (Woodskeeper): 1 point

"Oy! Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck."

Day 16 - Saturday, 9 August 2014 - Redding, California to Home

Although we had gone to bed early the night before in order to ensure an early start for another long day of driving, I woke up at 3AM with an incredible migraine - possibly the worst headache pain I have ever had. By 4AM, I was puking, which at least marked a decrease in the head pain. I went back to sleep at about 5, but decided that I better sleep in a little so set the alarm back to 6:30.

Despite all of that, we were in the car and ready to hit the road just a few minutes after 7AM.

This was another fairly uneventful day of driving, driving, and more driving broken up with stops for gas, snacks and bathrooms.

I can tell from the scenery here that we were probably stopped somewhere in Oregon. (And it goes against everything I’m made of to let my child eat a lunchable :crazy2:, and yet somehow I did it.)

At about noon, the one Big Event of the day occurred. Willow lost one of her two front teeth!

She lost the other one shortly thereafter - within a few days of returning home. And, as you know, after MANY months, she actually has front teeth again now. :laughing:

At some point along the Columbia River, Willow decided she would try to sleep. Doesn't she look cute?

Yeah, well, she couldn't get comfortable and had a mini-meltdown of sorts. Considering how much time we had spent in the car, I was grateful that that was the worst it got. She pulled herself together for the remainder of the drive.

And we made it home (555 miles) by about 4:30. Phew!!!!

I found some photos on Willow’s camera from the next day that indicate how much she must have missed her own beast.

So I’m not very good at the whole “wrap-up” post. I never get around to it. So I’ll just say here that this wild idea of doing a two-week road trip with a 7-year-old child (who is now 8) turned out to be one of the best ideas I have ever had. I can’t say for sure, but I THINK this was probably the best vacation we have ever had. We obviously had a ton of fun at Disneyland Resort. But, really, the drive there was possibly even more fun. We just had so much fun together, and it was such a treat to get to show Willow so many different sights and experiences. In fact, it was so much fun that I am starting to plan a totally different road trip vacation for our Summer 2016 vacation.

For now, I sure hope you will continue to join in on my TR for our little birthday trip to Disneyland in January (link in signature). And, of course, the EPIC DIS Princesses vacation is in full planning mode now and will be taking place this summer - in less than 3 months!!!!! And the Big Winner from this TR will receive a special shout-out photo in that TR!

Well, we were leaving Disneyland today.

One of the worst lines you could ever read.

At the end of two weeks, I'm ready to go home - I'm not unhappy to still be on vacation, but I no longer feel broken up about heading home;

I find that very interesting.
Our vacations, have seldom been for more than a week.
The last time we had more than a week was when I threw my back out in Venice...
So I wasn't really looking forward to anything other than standing.

We were up and out the door, with a bell services CM helping with the luggage, at 6:10.

Willow looks a little sleepy still in that picture.

Oh my God! So sad!! Willow! Don't cry!

RONI DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!

She was just SO SAD.

I, on the other hand, although feeling bad for Miss Willow, was pretty psyched that, at least for the moment, there was no traffic!

Kid issues vs adult issues.

And eventually Miss Willow did cheer up a bit.

Phew! I thought I was going to lose it there.

Willow gave me a big explanation about how her front tooth was too loose for regular food so that she needed ice cream for breakfast. Hey, what? It's still technically vacation! Plus, look how much it cheered her up!

Ice cream seems like a perfectly reasonable breakfast meal when teeth are loose.

Willow looks ummm.... stoned.

:laughing:

Buttonwillow!!!! What in the world??? :laughing:

I know! I know!
"I'm going outside Mom!"
"It's cold outside. Wear a sweater."
"Aw, Mom!"
"Put a sweater on young lady... and Buttonwillow!"

or

"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Shhh... honey."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"In a minute, Willow."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Willow. Just give me a minute here, okay?"
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Buttonwillow!!!!"

We headed straight to the pool, of course, because Willow had more than earned it by not making one complaint about all the driving. :woohoo:

::yes::
Anytime you have a good driving companion, said companion is entitled to a reward.

Up Next: Day 16

Sounds good! :goodvibes

That was fun.
I was just about to post some comments when I got the little window asking if I wanted to view new posts.
I click yes and see the new chapter.
I immediately know the quote.
So I hit "Post Reply", type up "Genie. Aladdin." and hit "Post Reply" again.
I get an error. "You must wait 27 seconds to post"
Noooo!!!! Someone else is going to post! (It's happened before."
POST! "You must wait 22 seconds to post"
POST! "You must wait 15 seconds to post"
come on! come on!
POST "You must wait 7 seconds to post"
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!
Be patient. Be patient. Hang in there.....
POST!!!!

Yes!
Piece of cake.

I woke up at 3AM with an incredible migraine - possibly the worst headache pain I have ever had.

Oh, no! Not good, with a long drive ahead of you!

By 4AM, I was puking, which at least marked a decrease in the head pain.

Umm... Uh... That's...... good?

I went back to sleep at about 5, but decided that I better sleep in a little so set the alarm back to 6:30.

Despite all of that, we were in the car and ready to hit the road just a few minutes after 7AM.

I'm impressed. Did you manage to get some sleep after all that? And how were you feeling when you hit the road?

(And it goes against everything I’m made of to let my child eat a lunchable :crazy2:, and yet somehow I did it.)

Meh. Still on vacation. It won't hurt her.

At about noon, the one Big Event of the day occurred. Willow lost one of her two front teeth!

Holy.... hole! :laughing:

She lost the other one shortly thereafter - within a few days of returning home. And, as you know, after MANY months, she actually has front teeth again now. :laughing:

::yes:: And it's so confusing! They're there. They're gone. They're back!

At some point along the Columbia River, Willow decided she would try to sleep. Doesn't she look cute?

::yes:: snug as a bug in a rug.

Yeah, well, she couldn't get comfortable and had a mini-meltdown of sorts. Considering how much time we had spent in the car, I was grateful that that was the worst it got. She pulled herself together for the remainder of the drive.

Aww. But good for her to pull herself back together.

I found some photos on Willow’s camera from the next day that indicate how much she must have missed her own beast.

Awwww.... She so reminds me of my girls, in that regard.

So I’ll just say here that this wild idea of doing a two-week road trip with a 7-year-old child (who is now 8) turned out to be one of the best ideas I have ever had.

I am totally not surprised.
And after reading all the TR, would've been shocked if you'd said otherwise.

I can’t say for sure, but I THINK this was probably the best vacation we have ever had.

Swell! :goodvibes

In fact, it was so much fun that I am starting to plan a totally different road trip vacation for our Summer 2016 vacation.

Good for you! I love road trips.
I've got a very interesting one in mind myself... but it'll take a lot of things falling together before it can happen.

For now, I sure hope you will continue to join in on my TR for our little birthday trip to Disneyland in January (link in signature).

Oh, I don't know. I'll have to think about it.

:rolleyes1

And, of course, the EPIC DIS Princesses vacation is in full planning mode now and will be taking place this summer - in less than 3 months!!!!!

Less than three months??? Where does the time go???
It was just yesterday you were trying to figure out how to do the reveal!

I'm glad the headache/throwing up went away. I don't get migraines often, but I understand that pain!

Poor willow and the tired meltdown. She did great for so much driving!

I'm so happy for you all that you had such a fun trip and got to enjoy the time together. Road trips are so much fun!!

but decided that I better sleep in a little so set the alarm back to 6:30.

You and I clearly have a different definition of "sleeping in".

OK, that is flat out adorable.

but I THINK this was probably the best vacation we have ever had.

I have a feeling this is about to be topped, however. :goodvibes

Happy Mother's Day, Roni!!! Hope you and Willow are having a great day together :)

Looks like such a fun and delicious dinner--princesses AND Chip and Dale? I wouldn't have expected anything less than you guys waiting a half hour for Pluto. I would've done the same!

Ice cream for breakfast?! I like it. Hope it helped the tooth feel better.

Alas, pkondz has beaten me for good...but it's okay because rumor has it I'll be making an appearance in the big WDW TR anyway... :rolleyes1

Thanks so much for this FABULOUS TR, Roni! I loved every minute! Of course, I'm even more excited for WDW...it's going to be a BLAST.

We went over to Corndog Castle and procured one of Disneyland Resort's famous hand-dipped corndogs for Willow's lunch.
Mmmm, I have a feeling this will be a must-do meal with Izzy at Disneyland! ::yes::

Primeval Whirl (which I remember liking a lot better but have only done once years ago)
Ugh, we HATE Primeval Whirl! That is one ride I'd be fine skipping forever - along with Stitch, of course. :laughing:

At various points during the day, Goofy comes out and conducts the orchestra of the fountains at Paradise Pier.
Very cool that you saw this! pixiedust:

Photo0248FourBySix_zpsee8e38e8.jpg
Aw, so cute! :love: Not to mention all her Pluto picture adorableness too! pluto:

Willow had worn the Goofy cupcake tshirt I made her, and Goofy was suitably impressed.
As he should be! So cute - Izzy would LOVE that, I bet. She is really fond of a cupcake shirt she has these days (just a regular non-Goofy one).

On the way, I looked over at Willow, and she had tears streaming down her face. :(
Oh my gosh! Poor Willow! :hug: That farewell really hit her hard, poor thing!

Willow gave me a big explanation about how her front tooth was too loose for regular food so that she needed ice cream for breakfast.
Smart kid! :thumbsup2

And we had a HUGE double room - one set up as a bedroom with two queen beds and the other set up as a separate living room - at the Hilton Garden Inn.
Sounds great! Now that I have a kid, I have a new appreciation for rooms like that!

I woke up at 3AM with an incredible migraine - possibly the worst headache pain I have ever had. By 4AM, I was puking, which at least marked a decrease in the head pain.
:headache: Oh no! What a terrible way to start a huge travel day! I'm amazed you made it okay!

Congrats to Willow on her accomplishment. :cheer2: :rotfl:

So I’m not very good at the whole “wrap-up” post. I never get around to it. So I’ll just say here that this wild idea of doing a two-week road trip with a 7-year-old child (who is now 8) turned out to be one of the best ideas I have ever had. I can’t say for sure, but I THINK this was probably the best vacation we have ever had. We obviously had a ton of fun at Disneyland Resort. But, really, the drive there was possibly even more fun. We just had so much fun together, and it was such a treat to get to show Willow so many different sights and experiences. In fact, it was so much fun that I am starting to plan a totally different road trip vacation for our Summer 2016 vacation.
I'm with you - I've done very few wrap-ups, as I'm always moving on to the next TR. Just finished my August one in a nick of time before this May trip (though Aulani will still be going for a long time...:rolleyes1 Maybe till we go back again. :rotfl2:).

So glad that you had such a blast on this trip! :goodvibes It's a big undertaking, but I totally get how showing your kid new sights is rewarding and memorable. And, of course DL is awesome too. :rotfl: So glad you are planning another road trip and can't wait to hear about that one!

Ha we do the same thing on our way home, we just drive don't stop anywhere to sleep just take turns driving til we get home!!

I was a lurker on this TR but just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it! Willow is the cutest and you guys seem to have a great relationship! I'm glad this epic road trip was such a success and no doubt it will be a memory that lasts a lifetime :goodvibes

I am pretty sure that Willow purchased something, but I can't remember what it was at this point. :laughing: I know we did pick out Christmas tree ornaments - we get two new ones every year.
Both look like great choices!

Willow had worn the Goofy cupcake tshirt I made her, and Goofy was suitably impressed.
And ironically, a week later, Goofy's Kitchen started serving Goofy cupcakes.

We eventually got even more food.

Willow’s:
She certainly knows what she likes, doesn't she? :rotfl:

And the chef was so excited to make me some pizza that he brought me two (I didn't have the heart to tell him what I had had for lunch)! (Conveniently, I now had my breakfast for the car ride tomorrow. :laughing:)
Wooohooo! Breakfast pizza!!!

The chef brought me some more treats (which became road-trip snacks for the way home):
Wow, the chef was taking good care of you! You might have mentioned it before and I missed it or forgot, but are you on a gluten free diet?

We waited. Willow wasn't leaving Disneyland without bidding farewell to her favorite Disney dog. The table next to us was waiting for Pluto too. We both waited a LONG time. I think it was more than 20 minutes, but Willow was so happy when he finally arrived.
Hey, might as well wait! What else are you going to do. And if the wait takes long enough that you can digest some of the food you ate, there's a buffet full of dessert not far away from you!

And then we headed outside towards the Frontier Tower for our last night at the Disneyland Hotel. On the way, I looked over at Willow, and she had tears streaming down her face. :(
Poor Willow. I can feel her pain.

Well, we were leaving Disneyland today. I have to say, a two-week vacation is just perfect in my book. At the end of two weeks, I'm ready to go home - I'm not unhappy to still be on vacation, but I no longer feel broken up about heading home; I'm starting to look forward to my own bed, my dog, my daily routine, eating regular food, etc.
I can see that. We always go a week or a week + a couple of days. We're discussing a possible summer WDW trip next year. I'm kind of hoping to make it a 2 week trip with some stops along the way as we drive. DW wants a few days at the beach and I just do not want to try to get through WDW in 4 or 5 park days in the middle of the summer. :faint:

We walked to the parking lot.
:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: I'm still having nightmares about this sight.

We retrieved Elizabeth from the lot, drove to the front of the hotel, and were loaded up and ready to go by 6:25. Not bad! Until I turned around and saw this.

:( Poor Miss Willow - she was really taking our departure hard this time. In the past, we have come to DLR for just 3 days in January, with a summer trip on the distant horizon. We had never stayed this long, and it had never been our "big vacation" before. She was just SO SAD.
I feel her pain! I don't care how long or how short the trip is. Leaving Disney property is never easy!

We stopped for gas at about 8:25AM, and Willow gave me a big explanation about how her front tooth was too loose for regular food so that she needed ice cream for breakfast. Hey, what? It's still technically vacation! Plus, look how much it cheered her up!
Seems logical to me!

Although we had gone to bed early the night before in order to ensure an early start for another long day of driving, I woke up at 3AM with an incredible migraine - possibly the worst headache pain I have ever had. By 4AM, I was puking, which at least marked a decrease in the head pain. I went back to sleep at about 5, but decided that I better sleep in a little so set the alarm back to 6:30.
Oh wow. I'm glad that you were able to recover and make the drive, but I'm not so sure I'd have been quite as willing to set the alarm at 6:30 and even attempt it at that point!

I can tell from the scenery here that we were probably stopped somewhere in Oregon. (And it goes against everything I’m made of to let my child eat a lunchable :crazy2:, and yet somehow I did it.)
I'm apparently a horrible parent. :rolleyes1

It does look like it was a great experience for you. With a lot of great memories and bonding time. I'm definitely interested in seeing what this totally different road trip vacation might be...

And, of course, the EPIC DIS Princesses vacation is in full planning mode now and will be taking place this summer - in less than 3 months!!!!!
Sounds familiar. I think I saw something similar to this in a PTR a long time ago. A couple of crazy moms with a slight food obsession, it seems.

Poor Willow! My girls are the same way about leaving Disney...tears all around. I tell them that that is a sign of a good vacation, you had so much fun that you don't want to leave! Goofy's Kitchen looks like so much fun. My DL trip seems like it just keeps getting pushed off (unfortunately life intervenes sometime and you have to be an adult) but I am determined to make it happen!

You made great time driving! I totally support ice cream for breakfast on vacation.

My guess...Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio???

Christine

Roni, back and caught up.

That pizza at lunch looks good (and hopefully better than Florida pizza).

I don't think I'd like that Goofy Sky Ride at all.

Yay for a ride on the little Mermaid.

Too bad no Mickey bar, but at least she got ice cream.

Cute picture of Willow in her shower cap.

The shop at the resort looks very nice. And great ornament choices.

What fun character pictures and I am glad you stuck around for Pluto.

Okay...I'm in tears hearing that Willow was in tears and then to see her crying in the car.

Nice first day of driving, but sorry about the migraine in the middle of the night. Glad you felt better to drive the rest of the way home.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

One of the worst lines you could ever read.
Yep. :sad1:

I find that very interesting.
Our vacations, have seldom been for more than a week.
The last time we had more than a week was when I threw my back out in Venice...
So I wasn't really looking forward to anything other than standing.
Well, I have been lucky that my many body-falling-apart issues have not impacted my vacations any more than my regular life. But I will say this: Until I was blessed to have Willow (in my late 30s), I had never taken an actual vacation as an adult. I worked in private law firms and worked 10 to 12 hours a day, often 7 days a week. I changed all of that when Willow finally came along (after MANY years effort). I took my first real vacation as a parent when we went to WDW when Willow was 3. We went for a week, I think. I believe our next "big" vacation was a DCL cruise to Alaska - it was a week. It was during that vacation that I realized that a week doesn't work very well for me for the year's "big vacation" (interesting from someone who was previously used to "no vacation") - it takes me about 3 to 4 days to transition from work/life stress to vacation joy, and at about day 5 or 6, I start worrying about how close we are to the end and having to return to work/life stress. So I try very hard to budget financially and leave-wise for longer vacations now. I am very lucky to be able to do that (financially is much harder than private practice, but getting away is easier). We did 10 days at WDW the last time we were there without a cruise tacked on, and it was perfect - we weren't super-sad to go home because we had a lot of time there. The WDW/DCL combo vacation was amazing, and we were both ready to go home. Ten days to two weeks seems to be pretty perfect as far as being able to transition to vacation mode and not feel totally depressed to go back to real life (well, except for Willow on this particular trip). Interestingly, we will be off for just almost 3 weeks this summer - 10 days at WDW and 7 days on the Disney Fantasy combined with a day off before travel and a day off after we return. I'm wondering if there is anything that could be "too long" for a vacation. I guess maybe we'll find out. :confused3

Oh my God! So sad!! Willow! Don't cry!

RONI DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!
Oh, I can't - it was just SO SAD. And kind of unexpected - I thought she'd be sad but also happy to head home. I was wrong.....

Kid issues vs adult issues.

Ice cream seems like a perfectly reasonable breakfast meal when teeth are loose.
Apparently, I somehow bought into that idea. :confused3

Willow looks ummm.... stoned.

:laughing:
:rotfl2: Okay, I nearly died at this comment. I was laughing so hard. You are SO RIGHT!!!!! :rotfl2:

I know! I know!
"I'm going outside Mom!"
"It's cold outside. Wear a sweater."
"Aw, Mom!"
"Put a sweater on young lady... and Buttonwillow!"

or

"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Shhh... honey."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"In a minute, Willow."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Willow. Just give me a minute here, okay?"
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Mom."
"Buttonwillow!!!!"
I'm going with option 2. :rolleyes: :rotfl2:

Anytime you have a good driving companion, said companion is entitled to a reward.
Totally agree. That was a LOT of hours in a car for a 7-year-old kid not to complain - we were totally going to the pool. :thumbsup2

it takes me about 3 to 4 days to transition from work/life stress to vacation joy

You're just like Ruby. On one vacation, she was angry with me. She figured out it was because I wasn't "doing something".
There's always something that has to be done.
It took her about 2-4 days before she realized she was on vacation and didn't have to do anything.

I'm wondering if there is anything that could be "too long" for a vacation. I guess maybe we'll find out. :confused3

I wonder that too. I'd like to find out, though!

Oh, I can't - it was just SO SAD. And kind of unexpected - I thought she'd be sad but also happy to head home. I was wrong.....

:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!