Disneyland over New Years plus a taste of Canada and Hawaii UPDATE

So I'm curious: How wet did you get on Splash? I have gotten so wet lately! The weather sounds amazing!

Ozijo, I am glad that your back writing your trip report. We were at DLR just before you (Dec 27 &28) so I was interested to seeing your report. Also, I wanted to say that I really liked your Banff pictures , as We did a camping road trip to Banff this summer.
Thanks for popping by. I took a bit of a break but I'll get on with it now. I'm glad you liked my Banff photos. I really want to go back one day in the summer or maybe Autumn.

So I'm curious: How wet did you get on Splash? I have gotten so wet lately! The weather sounds amazing!
We got a little wet and it was a little chilly but because it was sunny we managed to dry off pretty quickly.

So where was I? Oh yes:

Day 2 Jan 29 - Afternoon

After a break (I actually did some washing), we headed back to use our Indiana Jones FP. As we entered the Park we came across a Parade. Now we aren't
parade people so we hadn't factored it in and essentially came up upon a road block. We had some time, but not a lot so we waited for a gap and weaved our way through to crowds making it to IJ just in time.

Get out of our way Princeses... Hi Santa...Bye Santa...

After Indy we headed out to DCA... but not before grabbing some Dole Whip... I asked Hannah if she wanted me too buy her this. She said: Nah. I'm good.
They grow up too fast...

We had a Soarin' fast Pass so used that. I love it so much! It was Soarin' Over the World while last time it was California. Then we went to line up at GotG: Mission Break Out. I have a little history with Tower of Terror. I was too scared to do it during our 2009 trip but thanks to some encouragement from somewhere here at The DIS I braved the drop and loved it. It's sad to see the Twilight Zone theming gone but we love the GotG movies so really enjoyed this version of the ride. We wandered around a little and enjoyed the sights. Mark and Hannah did their first ride on Incredicoaster. I had been on California Screamer and while it was ok, I decided to sit it out this time and just enjoyed the scenery while Hannah and Mark hit the single rider line.

It was a lovely evening...

We were going to be spending a full day here on New years Eve and it was nearly time for our reservations at Ralph Brennan's, so we left the park and hit Downtown Disney.

Last edited:

Day 2 Jan 29 - Evening.

Our dinner reservation was for 6pm so we had a little time to wander around Downtown Disney. I didn't take many photos, just enjoyed the atmosphere. I took a shot of the big store and a couple of some of the Chefs making Nightmare before Christmas themed treats...

It was then off to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. We arrived for our 6pm reservation and the restaurant was almost empty. Nevertheless they proceeded to take us to a table outside. Now on a nice night I might have been ok with that but it was windy and quite chilly and Hannah was not feeling that great. Also, I could see a band setting up inside and I really wanted to be close to the atmosphere. So I asked if we could possibly be moved inside. It was weird though because they said well you might have to wait even though there was nobody there. We didn't have to wait long as they found us a table pretty quickly at the side of the stage. We were kind of behind the piano but we were right up close. The restaurant filled up pretty fast then but there were still tables that were free inside and there was an upstairs section. So how does it work? I had booked right at the start of the booking window yet we were to be left outside in the cold. I could understand if we had been a walk up but as I said, we had booked months ago. So how had all those people got in ahead of us? Why where we to be left out in the cold? Do some people make special bookings? There were a couple of Birthday Parties happening. Do they give preferential treatment to those who stay on Disney property? Just wondering.

Anyway we did enjoy the evening. the band were great playing Zydeco and New Orleans style Jazz. The food was really nice, though Hannah's cold meant she didn't have much of an appetite. We had a couple of starters - Coconut Prawns and the Southern Garlic Cheese Bread. Then I just had the Chowder and French Quarter Salad while Hannah tried the Gumbo, though she ate very little of it. Mark had the Pasta Jambalaya. We didn't have dessert as we were too full. We knew Hannah was sick when despite not eating much gumbo, (she did have some bread and shrimp) she declined dessert. Mark said that it was probably the tastiest meal he had in Disneyland. I enjoyed it but preferred the salmon I had the next night at Blue Bayou. The atmosphere was great. We joined in the singing of Happy Birthday when it was time and the band were talented and very entertaining. I'm so glad I asked to be inside.

OziJo, how long did you have to wait in the FP line for Indiana Jones? when we were there on Dec 28th, the FP line for Indy at about 2:30ish was blocks long.

OziJo. is the middle picture above the line for Indiana Jones ?

No that's Pirates on our first afternoon- Saturday 28th. We thought we were in for a lot of long waits but that turned out to be the most crowded time of the week. The FP line for Indiana on the 29th around 2pm wasn't too bad.

Enjoying reading about your trip. What a fantastic lineup of destinations for your holiday.

I loved the touches of Harry Potter while you were in Canada.

Good start in Disneyland. Beautiful pictures. That stinks that your daughter was not feeling well.

We will be using Max Pass on our trip in a few weeks. So, what do we need to do with ride photos? It sounds like I need to make note of our the ride photo number to download the pictures. I'll have to read up on that!

:goodvibes

Enjoying reading about your trip. What a fantastic lineup of destinations for your holiday.

I loved the touches of Harry Potter while you were in Canada.

Good start in Disneyland. Beautiful pictures. That stinks that your daughter was not feeling well.

We will be using Max Pass on our trip in a few weeks. So, what do we need to do with ride photos? It sounds like I need to make note of our the ride photo number to download the pictures. I'll have to read up on that!

:goodvibes

Starting to research for my trip in September so I have been reading TR's and absorbing all the info I can. I am a WDW vet and have never been to DLR so I am really looking forward to it.

I found your TR today and am enjoying it so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest. It was nice to see the Canada parts too, that area is so pretty and so perfect for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing the Hawaii parts too.

How did you like the Camelot? We are trying to figure out where to stay. I wish we could stay on property but I really don't want to spend as much as those cost.

That is interesting about the weird seating situation. I'm glad you asked, too!

This trip was 4 years ago and I’ve recently been thinking of the possibility of another trip. Of course my mind turned towards the DIS and I realised that I hadn’t finished this TR!!

The last time I posted was just before Covid back in Jan 2020. I don’t think I could face revisiting this when the world was all locked up. Gosh things have changed so much since then. Galaxy’s Edge is now open, Splash Mountain is closed for a refurb’ and Fast Pass Max (which was fantastic for us) is now something called Genie and you have to book fast passes before you leave home much like you would book ADR’s.

Well another trip is still a ways off. Maybe I should just wrap this TR up and do some reminiscing while I’m at it.

When last I posted it was day 2 of our 4 day Disney Park Hopper Pass and we had dinner at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen. I know they have been doing some work in Dowtown Disney is Ralph Brennen’s still there?

Day 3 Dec 30
This was a full day in Disneyland with the Blue Bayou and Fantasmic Dinner show. The food was really good and I loved the atmosphere situated as it is at the start of The Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Hannah was still not feeling great but she was a trooper. We managed multiple rides on all our favs, had a rest back at our room before heading back for an Indiana Jones Fast Pass, Dinner and Fantasmic. Photos are so wonderful for jogging the memory and taking us right back to that day…

93C031AE-E60B-4765-AA77-0D9EF976BE8E.jpeg280614A9-5CD5-4E86-BBD7-3606D6729BC1.jpeg78A7606A-0E80-4D3C-A97A-AA291A686558.jpegB6B106C1-0AE6-4550-989E-B88CF4C1F58D.jpeg59923408-1F88-4746-93FD-0C8030E93605.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 31 New Year’s eve 2019

Day 4 of our 4 day Park Hopper pass saw us spending New Years Eve in DCA. I’m so glad we had done the dinner and Fantasmic light show the night before New Years because the crowds heading into Disneyland were massive. DCA was also busy but it was bearable and we were able to manage to get straight on Soarin’ as well as picking up a Fast Pass for later.

Hannah and Mark rode Incredicoaster 5 times using the single rider line. We also did Toy Story Mania 3 times twice using the single rider line. The single rider lines turned out to be a revelation as we were at the point where we didn’t care if we rode with each other and it tripled the amount of rides we could do. We also managed to do Guardians of the Galaxy twice as well.

By the afternoon we had managed to tick everything off our list multiple times and were heading over to Cars lLnd to use our fast pass when it all caught up on Hannah. She had been better that day but still not great and after our last Guardians drop she started to feel a bit nauseous. We stopped for a drink but she really wasn’t up to another ride. We decided to head back to our room so she could have a rest before dinner and fireworks.

As it turned out she crashed and she insisted that we go off to our dinner reservation at Lamplight Restaurant. She just wanted to sleep. So Mark and I had a lovely New Years date night dinner (though we felt a touch guilty leaving her) with cocktails, lobster nachos and poke bowls. By then the winds had started to come up and the rumour was that the main fireworks were going to be cancelled. We had one more Fast Pass for Soarin’ then back to our room. At midnight we could see the smaller Fireworks in DP from our room across the street but the main Fireworks had been cancelled.

I have to say I wasn’t too worried we had had a fantastic day and a lovely dinner and Hannah was feeling better, though quite run down when we got back. I‘m glad to have had the Fantasmic Dinner package the night before with front row seat to the light show and fireworks.

Looking back on this I see we had a wonderful four days. I miss Disney so much…E13E7828-1722-4007-9DE3-B277E9002D69.jpeg3B1ABEA3-122E-4D7E-8BD1-F7AD0B5322A3.jpeg204DA20F-8A63-463C-8EC7-9DF7E7559D3E.jpegFCC5EFE3-7B7F-4C79-9F12-F751E8469D46.jpeg8C4E3F9F-AFB8-4926-90B0-4EB877040192.jpeg54805FCF-76CC-47AC-AABA-815566BDEA96.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts