• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Paris Advice

robinb

DIS veteran
I hope this isn't too off-topic for this board, but I assumed that my UK DIS friends might have a better insight into DLP than the US DISers :D.

We just booked airfare to France and we'll be spending 3 nights at DLP from August 27th - 30th. I've heard good things about the Sequoia Lodge and I also heard that it was not too expensive. Was I in for a shock when I called DLP and they quoted me $760 USD for 3 lousy nights and a 4 day LOS pass for 2 adults! $253 USD per night for the equivalent to a moderate resort at WDW. I don't know if I can stomach it! Plus, I don't need 4 days at the parks since we won't be getting in until late on the 27th and will be leaving early on the 30th. A 3 day park-hopper at 90 Euros per person would be just fine with me. I asked if I could book just the hotel and they said "no". I find that hard to believe.

Are there any discounts available? Is there any way for me to just book the room, or is that even more expensive? I think I must just be spoiled by the great prices at WDW and I'm feeling grumpy :(.

Yes, it is possible to make a room only booking at DLP. I've done so many times. You would then be able to buy a three- pay hopper ticket when you arrive. There is a good unofficial website which lists the rack rates for DLP hotels (as well as lots of other info):

http://www.dlp-guidebook.de/index_e.htm

Unfortunately DLP does not offer the same kind of discounts that WDW hotels do. Occupancy rates at DLP hotels are very high, particularly during the summer months, so DLP figure that there is no need to heavily discount room rates. In fact, there are four new hotels being built and a home-from-home development to keep up with demand.

One word of advice: don't expect DLP to be exactly the same as the equivalent parks at WDW. In some ways DLP is better and in some ways it is worse. The fascinating thing for me is seeing how Imagineers managed to improve on such great ideas and designs in the other Disney parks.

Please feel free to ask any questions about DLP. Quite a few of us are regular visitors.

Regards

Rob

Thanks Rob. It sounds like all I need to do is get a CM that will sell me a room-only, then. Maybe I'll call the UK number. I don't care what currency I'm charged in ;).

One word of advice: don't expect DLP to be exactly the same as the equivalent parks at WDW.
I expect that. My family (me, DH and DD 2 years old) have already been to WDW, Disneyland and Disneyland Tokyo :D. Disneyland Tokyo was a complete "trip" ... it was so close to WDW, but so very different.

I normally call the Paris booking office (0033 1 60 30 60 53) when I want to make a room-only booking. The UK office can make room-only bookings, although most people will normally book an entire package so not every operator in the UK office will be familiar with the procedure.

Regards

Rob

My French is ... sparse ;). I can get around OK and I won't starve, but I don't think I could do something as complicated as set up a reservation at DLP. Do some operators speak english at the Paris booking office?

Yes! The staff speak English at the Paris office!! They should have no difficulty understanding you.

I, like Rob have booked room only on a number of occassions with no problem both via France and the UK line.

However, unfortunately my last booking was not at all easy:(

I rang the UK line expecting to book toom only and was told that I could not do that unless I bought annual passes at the same time. I have a shareholders club card which entitles me to 15% discount off annual passes but they could nto offer me this discount if I booked in this way.

I then rang the French line (the one Rob mentions above) and was told that there were no room only bookings available for the time that I wanted (late August). I could only book room only if I had an annual pass which would be valid at the time of travel. I explained that I wanted to buy annual passes when I got there and was told that this was impossible :mad: When I explained that I had done this many times before I was told that they had changed their system and now it was impossible.

I found myself in a catch 22 situation where I couldn't book to go without an annual pass and couldn't get there to buy one as I couldn't book a room.

Eventually, I found a CM after many phone calls that took pity on me and made the booking using my old annual pass number, but who said that I must go to the Park and buy a new annual pass before I booked in!!!!

In view of my expereinces I wish you luck in booking room only, especially as you do not plan to buy annual passes :( I have already written to DLP complaining about this bizare situation and received a very unsatisfactory reply, in which it was apparant that they had not even read my letter properly! I am in the process of writing a very strong letter back.

I love DLP but feel very let down by this.

Please let me know how you get on - I hope that maybe they have resolved the situation by now and you will have a better experience than me.

Karen :)

It could be worth you trying the new Marriotte Hotel that's opening up very close to the park. They have been offering some pretty aggressive discounted rates recently, in order to try and get people to buy into the timeshare there. It's worth a call, IMHO.

Karen, I've found myself in a similar position on several occasions. It's endlessly frustrating. Please let me know what response you get from your second letter - I might write along similar lines.

Regards

Rob

Oh please do Rob!

I feel like the lone voice in the wilderness over this one! It is totally bizare! I just can't get them to see that they are actually likely to loose custom like this.

So please do write if you get the time - the more of us that complain the more likely it is to get through to them!

I will let you know what response i get from the second letter but don't hold your breath - it took me 2 months to get a reply to the first one!

Karen :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter