Disneyland Paris First Time Travel Advise

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
I'm from the USA and have never had the pleasure of traveling to Europe. It's been a long time coming, but I'm happy to say that I am in the preliminary stages of planning a 4 week holiday to Greece with my family. There will be three adults, one child(3y/o) and 1 toddler(1&1/2y/o) in my party. Since we'll be in somewhat close proximity to Paris, I thought it would be a great idea to visit the Disneyland Resort, which has been on my list of "things-to-do" for quite some time. I would like to stay at an on-site resort for six nights, likely sometime in June, and take in a couple of the motor coach tours that operate from the resorts into Paris. Any information that can be shared would be graetly appreciated.

Finally, is there an Unofficial Guide Book for Disneyland Paris? If so, how and where can it be purchased from?

Kind regards, Luis

Oops, I forgot that we now have a Disneyland Paris Board. Please feel free to move my thread to the appropriate forum.

Luis

I'm sure one of the Mods will be along to move your thread, but in the meantime you might find that your questions have recently been answered in this thread on the new DLP board.

Regards

Rob

Hi Luis :wave:,

As Rob pointed out, there is a lot of information on the 'other' recent thread, regarding a visit to Disneyland Paris.

If you have any questions which have not been answered, or would like any advice/reccomendations on travel, where to stay etc. then please post them and i'm sure one or more of us will be able to help :)

Some great resources for information include www.dlp-guidebook.de and www.disneyholidays.co.uk

As to guidebooks, SimonV's Disneyland Paris unofficial guidebook is coming out soon (not sure exactly when) and I am sure that it will be a great guide to Disneyland Paris.

Richard. :)

Hi Luis (just seen this thread after the second one on DLP :rolleyes: ), and I wonder how you were planning on getting to DLP from Greece? It is quite a trek, and not necessarily straightforward. Six days would also give you a lot of time to see something of Paris and the surrounds (you really need just 3/4 for DLP itself), but I guarantee there is plenty to see, and it is easy to get into the city fom DLP. If you read up on the existing literature, you are sure to come up with plenty more ???s, I would think!

Thank you much Richard and Simon for the information, and to WDWfan,uk for moving my thread. Simon, I was planning on flying into Paris first, via Charles de Gaulle, from the states, then flying from Paris to Athens the following week. I haven't looked into the particulars for the Paris leg of the trip(ie airlines, schedules)but I will begin to to so shortly. I know that we'll be flying Olympic Airlines on the return home from Greece because they offer direct flights to JFK Airport in New York and have stellar service/security .

Luis

Hey Luis,

In addition to Simon's eventual book (which I really am looking forward to reading, Mr. Veness!), there is also Bob Sehlinger's Unofficial Guide to DLP which I bought when I went last March. (Sehlinger also writes the unofficial Disneyland and WDW books as well). It's an "OK" book - the only thing I don't care for the occasional lack of original descriptions of attractions that exist both in the DLP MK and the WDW MK. He gives some of the exact same reviews/comments - as if he's just "cutting and pasting" from his WDW book. He also doesn't seem very keen on DLP restaurants - granted, I didn't experience some amazing culinary delight there either, but on the other hand I am not at DLP to eat...I'm there to play!

On the other hand, he does give fairly detailed info on the DLP hotels and other local lodging options if that's where you might spend part of your stay in the Paris area.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-3101190-9391108?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You can get it at any local U.S. bookstore - I happened to find it at a Barnes and Noble if you want to at least take a look at it.

I agree with Simon - you need at least 3-4 days to explore DLP. Granted, I only spent about 2/3 of a day in the Walt Disney Studios and the rest at the DL park. Hopefully the Studios park will be worth its entrance someday (but that's just my opinion..I didn't care for the Disney MGM Studios back in the early 90s and now it's one of my favorite parks!)

Re: flights -- I'm not sure if you're flying from Newark or where, but you could see what British Airways offers. BA often times has offers for travellers from the U.S. to go to their destination in Europe but with a free stopover in various European cities. I unfortunately didn't take advantage of this offer, since I was already booked for a visit to London and added the London-Paris-London legs afterwards, but you should check into it!

Good luck! Can I hide in your suitcase to Greece? :)

I have been to Paris, Greece and DLP.

Since this is your first trip and you are only allocating one week for Paris, I would only allocate one day or so for DLP. I think DLP is a great park, but... a lot of stuff they have is simular to that in the US. Paris has LOTS of stuff that you will not find here.

As for airfare. I don't think Olympic codeshares with a lot of airlines (maybe Contential?). You want to look for a codeshare or fly the whole way on one airline so you don't have to buy two one way tickets which can be really expensive! I have to be honest in that I have flown Olympic and I did not find the service or security to be "Stellar". Security seemed oridinary for Greece (where it was kind of so-so) and service was just ok. I loved Greece, but it is a really disorganized county and this is their National Airline. (Keep in mind, they built an airport without roads to reach it!)

Carol makes a good point about the city. Paris truly is amazing, and there is a huge amount to do there with children (I manage to devote the final chapter of the book just to the city!). However, as a true Disneyphile, I think you'll want at least 2 full days at DLP to feel you have seen and done it all to your satisfaction, but I would also think you'll want to see a lot of the city once you're there (providing the weather is half-decent).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!