Disneyland podcast?

Ryno addressed dispop a couple of times, and the main two things were:
1) With the loss of Oliver, there’s just too much work to do on the editing side to produce 3-4 hours of live/pre-recorded video every week. I dare say neither ryno or Craig ever take a complete day off, and work maybe 60 hours a week. Taping dreams unlimited in batches must help, but I imagine they’re still under a lot of stress.

2) Dispop is hard to do as a weekly show. The whole idea of it was covering the pop culture aspect of Disney, and eventually you run out of content.

I’m glad the Disneyland show is moving to video, for one reason, and it’s one a lot of people will complain about: money. The videos on YouTube generate money. The podcasts don’t. Simples.

Lastly: the daily fix is available as a podcast too, and covers both coasts. It’s only 5-6 minutes a day, but worth listening to.

Sometimes you just have to be a bit patient. I'm looking forward to the changes. TBH I usually don't get a chance to listen to the DL podcast as much as I would like. So if it goes to video I might have more of an opportunity.

I was very afraid this was coming and count me among those that are disappointed in the news that the DL podcast is going to video. Even though I travel to WDW far more often than I do to DL, the DL was the podcast that I kept current with because I do not have enough time in the week to commit to watching video podcasts. Like someone else said, the audio podcast is perfect for listening to while doing other things. (Hence why I came here to look for info - I haven't watched the Orlando show - I'm usually about 6 weeks behind on that.) I'm also afraid that this will mean changes to the DL team, which again would disappoint me. I think they have a great chemistry and I have grown to really love listening to them. I will be sad if we lose any more team members (I did read that we have already lost Michael.) At least I can comfort myself with the back catalog of podcasts to go back and listen to. I also agree with other posters that I enjoyed the focus on all of Southern California, not just Disneyland. It makes sense from a travel planning perspective to include that. I hope that does not go away in the new format.

I’m also much more likely to listen than to watch-I listen in the car, but rarely have time to watch longer videos uninterrupted. However, I do want to say that I listen to the Orlando podcasts, rather than watch, and they are just fine as audio feeds-it’s rare that there’s something (an imbedded video, for instance) that makes me feel like I’m missing out by only listening.

One concern (or maybe one level below concern) is YouTube culture and people losing their manners in live chat.
I only watch the live chat occasionally for either show (so to be fair my experience is limited), but I have seen times where Jackie really has to moderate the WDW live chat. Posters are self-promoting, spamming, "where is ...?" questions and other stuff I don't even want to allude to.
I personally have never seen even a single comment deleted in Mixlr chat, because less random traffic. People say hellos and goodbyes and are super friendly. I hope taking it to YouTube doesn't introduce those issues.
Heck, there hasn't been a DL show in weeks and the Mixlr chat remains wide open, people pop in every now and then looking for updates and still no issues.
So yes the traffic on YouTube will be good for the show but ugh, it comes as a mixed bag.

Last edited:
I listen to both WDW and DLR shows. Even though the WDW show is video, I next to never watch it that way. The only very minor issue is that if they show a video, they skip it. I usually just go watch the short video when I have a few minutes. I'm sure they'll release as audio too.

Wow! When I started this thread I just thought maybe I was just not finding that week's podcast. I knew that the DL podcast team was really punctual with getting the podcast up by the next day. I'm glad they are coming back. I think some of the communication issue is that many people on the boards don't really think to go to the Facebook page for their main communication from the DIS. I know a few times when one of the podcast shows were cancelled the first place I always check is the boards. After that I will check the team's individual Facebook posts to see if podcast is cancelled. I also know some people on the boards do not have Facebook so individual Facebook pages or the Disunplugged FB page they would not have access to. I know one time it was announced on a Twitter Account so the next time I checked all Twitter accounts even though I don't have Twitter. That time the announcement was placed on the Disunplugged Facebook page. Point is I think it would be helpful to have one place where these announcements are all on the same page and let it be known to always check that place for show announcements. I would lean towards doing it on the boards since I know some people here do not go on FB.

One concern (or maybe one level below concern) is YouTube culture and people losing their manners in live chat.
I only watch the live chat occasionally for either show (so to be fair my experience is limited), but I have seen times where Jackie really has to moderate the WDW live chat. Posters are self-promoting, spamming, "where is ...?" questions and other stuff I don't even want to allude to.
I personally have never seen even a single comment deleted in Mixlr chat, because less random traffic. People say hellos and goodbyes and are super friendly. I hope taking it to YouTube doesn't introduce those issues.
Heck, there hasn't been a DL show in weeks and the Mixlr chat remains wide open, people pop in every now and then looking for updates and still no issues.
So yes the traffic on YouTube will be good for the show but ugh, it comes as a mixed bag.

I agree that I see more spam type messages on Youtube than Mixlr chat. Not a week has gone by that some people still go to the boards on Sunday to see if that day will be the day the DL podcast returns. (I did miss tonight) I am another person that enjoys listening to the podcasts instead of watching them. Perhaps the DL podcast draws a different type of listener. I love the format the DL team used. It seemed more relaxed and less rehearsed which added to the show. I hope none of that changes. I can't wait for the DL team to come back!! Thanks for all you do DL team.

I am another person that enjoys listening to the podcasts instead of watching them.
my commute to work I would listen to their podcast!

And I don't watch the videos- I only listen to the podcast.

I do not have enough time in the week to commit to watching video podcasts.

I’m also much more likely to listen than to watch

I listen to both WDW and DLR shows.

There are two themes that come up often. I think there is ALOT of listeners who turn YouTube on and drop it in their pocket, cup holder or play it in a background tab while working online.. It's just far easier to find the new content on YouTube then download the audio versions. There is ALOT of content, so I am usually multitasking, i.e. exercising, commuting, cooking dinner, etc. I really enjoy it that way.

The second is a lot of people only follow one platform. I think many of us in this conversation are more the exception, not the rule. There are people on the boards who have zero idea who Craig and Kylie are, people who listen to the DL podcast who wouldn't be able to identify Kathy from Teresa, people who have never enjoyed Kevin's twitter poems despite listening for years and those who never, ever check the FB pages. Some that listen on ITunes have no idea where the mysterious live chat is..and aren't remotely intrigued to figure it out.
I think some people find it ...perplexing (is that the right word?) when the response is an exasperated "well did you check Pete's twitter, all the various FB pages, the boards, read Steve's article, watch the Daily Fix, check Mary Jo's periscope, read the ITunes reviews, travel on the exclusive ABD, look at Patreon, follow YouTube live chat, consult Mixlr, take the poll in Instagram stories AND emailed your Dreams agent?!? If you had, you would already know X, Y AND Z."

Ohhhhh, what was I thinking!??!. o_O

Or the reply is a genuine "who is..? What is..? I don't...Okay seriously, I have never heard of that, now I think you are just making words up."

I am being silly, but I think it confusing especially to occasional listeners. Not confusing...more they aren't compelled to seek it out, they more expect the Dis to REACH OUT across their platforms. And partly, alot of people don't SEE announcements because they didn't know there was an announcements to look for!

Last edited:
If you don’t want to watch it then listen to the podcast of the show like the WDW show?

There are two themes that come up often. I think there is ALOT of listeners who turn YouTube on and drop it in their pocket, cup holder or play it in a background tab while working online.. It's just far easier to find the new content on YouTube then download the audio versions. There is ALOT of content, so I am usually multitasking, i.e. exercising, commuting, cooking dinner, etc. I really enjoy it that way.

The second is a lot of people only follow one platform. I think many of us in this conversation are more the exception, not the rule. There are people on the boards who have zero idea who Craig and Kylie are, people who listen to the DL podcast who wouldn't be able to identify Kathy from Teresa, people who have never enjoyed Kevin's twitter poems despite listening for years and those who never, ever check the FB pages. Some that listen on ITunes have no idea where the mysterious live chat is..and aren't remotely intrigued to figure it out.
I think some people find it ...perplexing (is that the right word?) when the response is an exasperated "well did you check Pete's twitter, all the various FB pages, the boards, read Steve's article, watch the Daily Fix, check Mary Jo's periscope, read the ITunes reviews, travel on the exclusive ABD, look at Patreon, follow YouTube live chat, consult Mixlr, take the poll in Instagram stories AND emailed your Dreams agent?!? If you had, you would already know X, Y AND Z."

Ohhhhh, what was I thinking!??!. o_O

Or the reply is a genuine "who is..? What is..? I don't...Okay seriously, I have never heard of that, now I think you are just making words up."

I am being silly, but I think it confusing especially to occasional listeners. Not confusing...more they aren't compelled to seek it out, they more expect the Dis to REACH OUT across their platforms. And partly, alot of people don't SEE announcements because they didn't know there was an announcements to look for!

I think it is just a difference of opinion on what constitutes reaching out "Acrross their platforms" - they definitely have mentioned it a few places but if literally they only thing do is listen to the DL Podcast then you wouldn't know because they didn't put out anything on that feed or on MIXLR - so, especially given that it is a bit of a hiatus at this point, could they have put out a quick 2 miniute podcast saying they are on hiatus and to check the boards or facebook or whatever for updates, yeah, they could have and I have seen other podcast do it - but I don't think they were trying to hide it or anything as they did have it on multiple other areas

I think it is just a difference of opinion on what constitutes reaching out "Acrross their platforms" - they definitely have mentioned it a few places but if literally they only thing do is listen to the DL Podcast then you wouldn't know because they didn't put out anything on that feed or on MIXLR - so, especially given that it is a bit of a hiatus at this point, could they have put out a quick 2 miniute podcast saying they are on hiatus and to check the boards or facebook or whatever for updates, yeah, they could have and I have seen other podcast do it - but I don't think they were trying to hide it or anything as they did have it on multiple other areas
Agreed. And want to be clear I wasn't complaining, I think they rectified it last week, Pete gave a nice update, but I was musing a little bit that many us of this forum are more "hardcore fans" and see the ENTIRE puzzle, while others only see a few pieces, like just ITunes or just watch the WDW show and nothing else. I remember a thread on the DL forum and a few people were like... "wait who is Craig?"
The same was just musing with watching vs listening, it would be almost impossible to get an accurate polling, where does the number land? If you told me 75% of YouTube is actually only listening or say cooking dinner and glancing at the screen only occasionally... I wouldn't be surprised. It's kind of intriguing but impossible to nail down.
I just find it interesting. These are things that makes this fan base (beside being Disney obsessed) very unusual.

are there really people here who don't realize that they'll still be able to listen to the audio only version if they want to?

are there really people here who don't realize that they'll still be able to listen to the audio only version if they want to?

I think the point is that when people are audio only they make more of an effort to describe things vs showing them - sometimes on the WDW podcast they will be making comments about a picture or something and also show video clips, etc which if you are audio only you would have trouble following along

So yes, you can still listen but if something is made for video it isn't necessarily going to be the same expletive as from something made for audio

I noticed the Disneyland Edition "About Us" section on Facebook was updated about a week ago.. FYI

The DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition is a weekly trip planning podcast with unbiased advice on getting the most from your next Disneyland or Southern California vacation. Each week our team of Disneyland experts tells you what's new, what's good, and what's not-so-good. Disneyland shows are released every Monday and Tuesday.
Note: At this time, the podcast is on hiatus while the show is being re-imagined. As soon as we have a return date we will announce it on this page. Thanks to all of our fans who have been supporting us. We look forward to the new show where we can share our thoughts about the Happiest Place on Earth. º0º

Today is two months since our last show! Ugh.

Last edited:
If you don’t want to watch it then listen to the podcast of the show like the WDW show?

This is what I was going to say. I don't think I've missed a WDW show and I may have only watched about 3. Just download the MP3 from the RSS feed and listen. Heck, even if the don't release the audio as a podcast converting the video to audio is simple and all possible with Firefox plugins and free software.

I just don't see the complaint. Doing video gives you more choice, watch or listen. Audio only removes that choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!