Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. re: "Just go to WDW" - WDW isn't the same. WDW is great, but it's not DL. They're 2 different flavors of ice cream. I really want chocolate ice cream right now, not fudge ripple!!
  2. This really stinks for pretty much everyone working in the hospitality and entertainment industry in Orange County right now. The economic devastation will be vast.
  3. I totally disagree with the CA governor's decisions on this.
  4. I just called DL in an attempt to get a refund on my 3 DL-direct-purchased-tickets which I can't even use. Tickets that will expire at the end of January. Tickets which, right now, you'd have to exchange IN PERSON at the ticket booth in order to get new tickets...which is ridiculous since park reservations will be basically sold out right away once DL does reopen. The CM said there's nothing he can do. It's not his fault, of course. I'm just frustrated.
  5. Our OTHER ticket (DH's ticket) was purchased through Undercover Tourist. They WILL issue me a refund, but it'll take 4-6 weeks (because their backlog in similar requests right now) and I'll apparently get an email from them once the refund goes through.
  6. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR!
  7. I was really hoping to do a quick trip to DL at the end of this school year with my family. Zip on over to CA from here in AZ and tour DL commando style for 3 days.
  8. Instead, I'm now going to consider a Universal Studios Orlando trip instead. Right now, they have packages for ~$1900 for the 3 of us (ODD won't be going, assuming that her choir trip to England is still on) to stay 5 nights at a USO on site hotel + Universal park tickets. And it would fall over YDD's birthday (she's turning 13!).
  9. THIS WHOLE THING REALLY SUCKS!

Okay so we're definitely headed for a suit territory then. The question I think at this point is just how many parties are going to be represented? Also I'm starting to wonder if the unions might want in on this as well now that them and Disney have reached an agreement.

Actually I'm kind of hoping they do because that might be more effective then just the big name companies them filing suits.

I'm just going to sit in the corner and cry. I'm not terribly surprised by this announcement, but had hoped for in state visitors at orange. And it means that I'll be cancelling my Thanksgiving trip. It's also added to that my county can't seem to get out of purple and my kids' can't get back into the dance studio, despite having done it safely over the summer (before he changed it under this new tiered system). Yet they announce today ALL personal care services can now open indoors under purple. It doesn't make any sense. Why isn't it safe for 4 girls to get into a 2,000 sq ft dance studio room, masked & socially distance but the rest of this is allowed? Not expecting answers, just frustrated that we can't get this one normal thing back for our kids. (and since we've been dealing with fires, air quality has been hit and miss making outdoor stuff hard).
:grouphug:

1. re: "Just go to WDW" - WDW isn't the same. WDW is great, but it's not DL. They're 2 different flavors of ice cream. I really want chocolate ice cream right now, not fudge ripple!!
  2. This really stinks for pretty much everyone working in the hospitality and entertainment industry in Orange County right now. The economic devastation will be vast.
  4. I just called DL in an attempt to get a refund on my 3 DL-direct-purchased-tickets which I can't even use. Tickets that will expire at the end of January. Tickets which, right now, you'd have to exchange IN PERSON at the ticket booth in order to get new tickets...which is ridiculous since park reservations will be basically sold out right away once DL does reopen. The CM said there's nothing he can do. It's not his fault, of course. I'm just frustrated.
  5. Our OTHER ticket (DH's ticket) was purchased through Undercover Tourist. They WILL issue me a refund, but it'll take 4-6 weeks (because their backlog in similar requests right now) and I'll apparently get an email from them once the refund goes through.
  6. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR!
  7. I was really hoping to do a quick trip to DL at the end of this school year with my family. Zip on over to CA from here in AZ and tour DL commando style for 3 days.
  8. Instead, I'm now going to consider a Universal Studios Orlando trip instead. Right now, they have packages for ~$1900 for the 3 of us (ODD won't be going, assuming that her choir trip to England is still on) to stay 5 nights at a USO on site hotel + Universal park tickets. And it would fall over YDD's birthday (she's turning 13!).
If this sticks I’m gambling DLR will have to do something about refunding normal tickets. But I’ll give them time to roll out a system, I don’t want to waste time if I don’t have to on the phone. It was like pulling teeth to get a WDW refund until they changed policy.

6. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR!

By the way, the DL CM I spoke with said to keep checking DL's website because the ticketing CMs haven't been given any new instructions as of today. He said that as soon as new information comes out, it will be posted on DL's website.

6. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR!
Call back on number 4 and see if you get anyone different. I got our DL-direct-purchased tickets refunded a few weeks ago. They tried to keep me by explaining that I could still exchange them at the gate, but I told them that being out of state, that is not a practical option with a sure-to-exist reservation system. I'll be honest that I called within minutes of Bob Iger resigning from the taskforce because I saw where this was going. I was afraid that DL might crack down on refunds once a critical mass started requesting them. That may be what is happening, but it is worth another shot.

If this sticks I’m gambling DLR will have to do something about refunding normal tickets. But I’ll give them time to roll out a system, I don’t want to waste time if I don’t have to on the phone. It was like pulling teeth to get a WDW refund until they changed policy.

I asked the DL ticketing CM if there was a way for him to do so, could he please send feedback to the DL ticketing higher-ups re: customers like myself? Because the current DL policy is such that the ONLY way for you to be able to apply an unused expired ticket to the purchase of a new one is to go in person to the ticket booth. You can't do it over the phone. You can't do it through their website. You can't do it through the DL app.

I told him that we live in AZ and it's about a 6 hour drive from where we live to Anaheim. And I'm certainly not going to take a few days off of work, drive 6 hours to Anaheim, exchange the tickets in person, and HOPE that MAYBE we can get a park reservation once we're there. Not with the pent-up demand just in southern CA alone to go to DL.

I asked the DL ticketing CM if there was a way for him to do so, could he please send feedback to the DL ticketing higher-ups re: customers like myself? Because the current DL policy is such that the ONLY way for you to be able to apply an unused expired ticket to the purchase of a new one is to go in person to the ticket booth. You can't do it over the phone. You can't do it through their website. You can't do it through the DL app.

I told him that we live in AZ and it's about a 6 hour drive from where we live to Anaheim. And I'm certainly not going to take a few days off of work, drive 6 hours to Anaheim, exchange the tickets in person, and HOPE that MAYBE we can get a park reservation once we're there. Not with the pent-up demand just in southern CA alone to go to DL.
Wow. I must have gotten CM, or more likely, a supervisor, in an extremely accommodating mood. It was seriously 5 minutes or less before it was approved, and four days later appeared on my credit card statement. If it makes any difference, I called in the late evening. I believe it was 7:30 PT. Maybe they don't get as many calls then or something.

I'm surprised CAPA is demanding Stage 3 opening and not immediate. If the protocol works in other parks (and it does, without question) it works here, and it works no matter what the spread (because it certainly did in FL). Plus, Ghaly said so in the Q&A, moving back to Orange means the parks close. Nobody wants that.

So, joking, sort-of...

Anyone know the requirements to make a new county? Like say, one bounded by Harbor Blvd, Ball Road, Walnut Street, and Katella Ave? No permanent residents (except maybe someone who runs the hotel, and a couple mice), so no covid cases. Immediate entry into Yellow tier, lol!

Also, people asking about the small theme parks being limited to county residents. It says you have to pre-buy tickets and make reservations. The guidance also requires theme parks to contact people 24 hrs in advance to warn if they have symptoms to not go to the park the next day. Easy in that reservation system to have an address verification. For the small parks, they probably wouldn't even do follow-up enforcement, after all the capacity would be limited to 25% or 500 people, whichever is less.

A Micechat article quotes the Director of the OC Health Care Agency suggesting that OC might be in Yellow tier by summer 2021. So that’s at least one professional’s opinion on when it could happen.

Dr. Clayton Chau, Director of Orange County Health Care Agency, said – “Personally, I think that we can look forward to a yellow tier by next summer, hopefully. Hopefully.”

https://www.micechat.com/270583-bre...ornia-issues-theme-park-reopening-guidelines/

I'm trying to figure out how they enforce that. Honor system? Because they don't list the county on drivers licenses? Or do they in CA?
They could have a list of ZIP codes at the ticket counter and ask for ID. I figure that’s actually easier to check and reinforce than the “distance” requirement.
What's stopping someone with a local friend from having said friend buy a ticket.
Nothing, I guess (short of checking ID at entry, which I doubt they will do, given that the last thing they’ll probably want, when struggling for survival in a crappy economy, is pissed off, angry visitors).

They could have a list of ZIP codes at the ticket counter and ask for ID. I figure that’s actually easier to check and reinforce than the “distance” requirement.
Nothing, guess (short of checking ID at entry, which I doubt they will do).

Someone already explained it up thread. But like I said there my DL doesn't have a zip code on it. And I've only had a DL in one other state. So I didn't realize that yours had that identifier on them.

This is all so depressing. How do they expect these theme-park-dependent businesses to survive? I hope they are able to make some legal headway. I'm so grateful I'm going to WDW this weekend, but I'm scared about the crazy crowds/lines reported there even at 25% capacity... Disneyland would have to do better than that.

Bought tickets from Ares in February - is there any benefit to keeping them as is or should I ask for a refund? We're out of state, and they're hoppers, so unusable for at least a year probably.
Unbelievable.

6. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR!
About #5, was UT willing to refund the price entirely? I'm wondering if they are still sticking to their 5% restocking fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!