Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Wondering what's going to happen to our DVC points for VGC now.
Me too! I'm an owner at the Grand Californian and have banked points with a January UY. Do we wait and hope that they extend those like they did with Aulani? The last time I talked to a CM about it they said that it is still wait and see and then they told me I have until December 15 to transfer those to RCI. I wan't sure if this was a suggestion or our only option. Hopefully they will announce whether there will be an extension or not for VGC owners for their banked points.

That's such a bummer. But I don't foresee these rules sticking legally. It's unfortunate that Newsom is choosing this route when it should have been made apparent that the parks could operate safely during their administration's visit to both WDW and DL. I'm still holding out hope for our January trip, because I think theme parks would win in court over the rules being too harsh.

So, joking, sort-of...

Anyone know the requirements to make a new county? Like say, one bounded by Harbor Blvd, Ball Road, Walnut Street, and Katella Ave? No permanent residents (except maybe someone who runs the hotel, and a couple mice), so no covid cases. Immediate entry into Yellow tier, lol!

That is just the type of innovation Disneyland needs right now...you're hired! lol Seriously, that's not a bad idea. Disneyland already has their own fire department and police station.

I first read your comment as saying "country", which might just be even better! lol

Yeah, but home resort isn't and that's the question and concern as these points are a bit more worthy than others (at least was). have 63 banked points now needing a new home before March. Rental at WDW probably best bet now.

So, joking, sort-of...

Anyone know the requirements to make a new county? Like say, one bounded by Harbor Blvd, Ball Road, Walnut Street, and Katella Ave? No permanent residents (except maybe someone who runs the hotel, and a couple mice), so no covid cases. Immediate entry into Yellow tier, lol!

Also, people asking about the small theme parks being limited to county residents. It says you have to pre-buy tickets and make reservations. The guidance also requires theme parks to contact people 24 hrs in advance to warn if they have symptoms to not go to the park the next day. Easy in that reservation system to have an address verification. For the small parks, they probably wouldn't even do follow-up enforcement, after all the capacity would be limited to 25% or 500 people, whichever is less.
The Principal of my Daughter's private Catholic school kept calling our city "Long Beach County" when he was going through the reopening plans (yet to get the waiver from Los Angeles County unfortunately). It did get me thinking; Long Beach has had red category data for a while now and its own health department - kinda like San Francisco and it IS it's own county. Not a bad idea...

Well, I just called WDTC and got right through to a wonderful lady named Carol. She was awesome! I got my total package refund minus the travel insurance without any problem. It was a bittersweet call, but at the same time I'm kind of happy to be off the carona coaster for now. :wave2:

Shanghai Disney opened in May 2020 which was six months after the Coronavirus outbreak was discovered in Wuhan in December 2019. How is it California is more restrictive than China?

We all want to keep high risk people safe while still keeping those who are able to go to work employed. My heart goes out to all of the cast members and all of the other people who make a living off of these theme parks who are suffering through these closures, layoffs and uncertainty.

Shanghai and Anaheim/LA aren't comparable. As of May 8, Shanghai had 657 total cases. Not 657 per 100, 000 or even per million. Total. In a city of 24 million, they had only 657 cases at that point. That's pretty incredible, but also a far cry from where CA is currently.

Last edited:
I think it's possible that things could change, but I think there are few things that make me think that he's not going to change his mind:

2. Covid cases in the US are on the rise also, it's possibly going to be worse than in July on a national level. My guess he feels that opening up theme parks and Disneyland in particular will attract more out of state visitors potentially from places where Covid is spiking. He doesn't have any control over those places, and I think travel restrictions are probably difficult to implement realistically.

If there was a general travel restriction within California I might agree with you, but there's not. I live east of Sacramento and I'm going to Monterey for a weekend in 2 weeks and Yosemite the week after that. With no travel restrictions for anything else, this seems unenforceable. Then again, maybe they put something like that in there so that when they cave on the travel restriction they can keep all the other aspects which is what they really want anyways.

I went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom on Sunday. I was curious so I just looked up numbers. They are allowing 3000 people in per day. I couldn't find what their capacity is to know if they fall into the large or small theme park catagory. If they are small, it seems like it would make more sense for them to keep calling themselves a zoo, not open the rides, and let in 3000 people from wherever they're coming from, versus 500 people from within their own county.

I think it's possible that things could change, but I think there are few things that make me think that he's not going to change his mind:

1. When he opened up in June, there was a large spike in Covid in California following that. That probably made him a lot more gun shy this time around.
2. Covid cases in the US are on the rise also, it's possibly going to be worse than in July on a national level. My guess he feels that opening up theme parks and Disneyland in particular will attract more out of state visitors potentially from places where Covid is spiking. He doesn't have any control over those places, and I think travel restrictions are probably difficult to implement realistically.
Trying to control the movement of people is harder than herding cats. People are going to travel all over the place, especially if they have free time - and we all do right now. Is having people travel here to go to DL/DCA any different than Californians travelling all over the country to visit National Parks etc. since the kids all have unending summer breaks right now? Have WiFi will travel and people are doing just that - in droves. If I were Newsom/Ghaly I'd much rather they stuck around in So Cal and spent their far more restricted free time in DL/DCA (and the kids were back in school, of course).

Anyone with the fling fee and a map to the courthouse can sue. A civil suit maybe. I’m sure there’s lawyers out there working on this.
I'm sure they are. But the courts are slow, and as far as I know the state government has the legal power to regulate business so long as it doesn't unduly burden interstate commerce (where the federal government has jurisdiction). I'm sure distinctions and arguments will be made, but by the time the courts do anything (and appeals are made etc.) we may well be in the yellow anyway.

It will be interesting to see where it all goes, nonetheless.

I’m just gutted... not surprised but gutted nonetheless. This decision makes no sense and feels personal rather than reasonable. Thinking of all the small businesses/jobs/tax dollars that will be lost just makes me sick. I hope something changes before there is complete and utter devastation of the economy.

Didn't the Orange County health department sign off on the Disney preparations and give them the green light once they get to Orange? Seems like that slipped through the headlines late last week. If that's the case, who is going to stop them from opening? Certainly not Orange County.
Counties can only be MORE strict than the state. If the state say NO, it doesn't matter what the county or city says.

Okay, armchair engineers. Here are the actual guidelines for theme parks. I also included the guidelines for family fun centers. Someone has pointed out that the trams and maybe trains can count under the transportation guideline. Food and retail is a different set and so are hotel operations. Given these guidelines, what can Disney open?

Attachments

• guidance-family-entertainment--en.pdf
    541.5 KB · Views: 4
  • guidance-amusement-theme-parks--en.pdf
    741.5 KB · Views: 5
Bought tickets from Ares in February - is there any benefit to keeping them as is or should I ask for a refund? We're out of state, and they're hoppers, so unusable for at least a year probably.
Unbelievable.
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to cancel ours and get the one time refund less 10% and $8 processing fee. By the time DLR reopens, our tickets will be expired. I'd have to physically go to Guest Services to get new tickets before I could even use the new Park Reservation system. Instead, I've already made reservations for WDW in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter