Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I've seen this date before and now I'm going to ask as I cannot imagine a worse day to reopen. Not just a question for Epicnemisis & amyg1975, but also for others who think this is going to be the date, what is your reasoning?

The re-opening day is going to be stressful for all employees. They have to be strict with the guests to make sure everyone follows protocol. Adding extra stress to celebrate the 65th anniversary, just doesn't make sense to me.
I can see Disneyland reopening before the 17th of July, to have some sort of rhythm in the new measures. So that on the 17th they can focus on some sort of small ceremony, and very low-key activities.
But I can also see them not opening till after the 17th and celebrate the anniversary at a later date in 2020 when the measures have eased (hopefully).
Well they can open whenever at this point and stay in line with state and city regulations. They have the protocol most likely in place already. That protocol also will include a reduction of capacity, so I don’t think it will be too over whelmed.

I could see them playing Walt’s opening speech at rope drop and I think the opportunity of those optics on the opening will be too great for the marketing department to ignore.

Well they can open whenever at this point and stay in line with state and city regulations. They have the protocol most likely in place already. That protocol also will include a reduction of capacity, so I don’t think it will be too over whelmed.

I could see them playing Walt’s opening speech at rope drop and I think the opportunity of those optics on the opening will be too great for the marketing department to ignore.
Ah, okay, that would be nice indeed to hear the speech :) They played parts of Walt's speeches during the WAlk in Walt's Footsteps tour and made it really special. They could still do that if they delay the celebration.

I think it would be a big gamble for the marketing department, as you cannot show happy, smiling people on your video footage, as everyone will be wearing masks, which can put people off from visiting. This is of course good for the reduction of guests to reach the required capacity. But it will also disappoint a lot of guests who would want to celebrate on the day itself.

We will have to wait and see!

OK so to confirm (sorry), you think that even if I add those hoppers to my DL app, and the original people I had planned to take with me cannot go, then I could still use "their" tickets say, for my younger son multiple times? (assuming we get the option to go before they expire)?

Thank you!
Yes, because names don’t matter.

And for tickets that do expire, you can use their value towards new, valid tickets.

So forgive me for being confused about this, but if you had a prior on site spring reservation and rescheduled for a 3-night stay in late Sept (GCH), what could this mean in terms of getting into the park(s)? Questions in my mind:
1- Is it likely that on site guests who rebooked a canceled reservation would get some sort of priority for park reservations in Sept?
2- I have a Sig pass but my friend has nothing at this point. Would the 2 of us have the same chance of getting into the park(s) in Sept if she did not originally have a ticket?
3- Might the reservations for going into the park be limited to one day, even if you're staying on site? And is it possible my friend and I might get different park days if so?

It seems silly to stay 3 nights at GCH if we can only go to the park 1 day, especially if we weren't guaranteed to get the same day.

I realize this is still in the speculation phase, but I'm looking for some idea how this might go.

I’ll throw out another speculation into the void. If you’re staying onsite but booking through a travel company (Get Away Today) will your vacation qualify for all the things in this situation (discounts if closed, first chance at reservations) that booking direct does? I don’t know many WDW people so not sure how that’s worked out with them.

You can link any valid DL ticket to your DL account.

Reservations will be made through your account where your linked, valid tickets are also located.

Example: I have comp tickets linked to my WDW account and just received an email from WDW to explain reservations while addressing my linked tickets.

The various systems link together to open up the ability to book a park entrance reservation.

ETA: Here’s the excerpt from the WDW email:

“However, because you have valid Theme Park admission, you will have access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests.”

I bought ticketsfrom getawaytoday.com and was only given the option to print my tickets. Should I be able to link these in the app? I couldn’t figure out how to do it...

I think onsite guests will be able to have access to the parks for each night of their stay. If you’re only guaranteed one day most people won’t go especially if they’ve already purchased multi-day tickets. Those rooms being booked are helping their bottom line and they’ll want to prioritize onsite guests, AP’s, and those who already have tickets. I also don’t think it will matter where you purchased the tickets from as it’s still a valid ticket regardless.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I'm not going to take it personally. They're all understandably very upset and disappointed. I just happened to volunteer to be their personal punching bag. They're welcome to tar and feather me. I'll survive.

I stand by what I wrote, though. It's a good opportunity if you choose to look at the situation from a different point of view than the DIS Boards traditional "I need to plan the death out of my WDW trip and if I can't schedule everything months ahead of time, then we might as well not go." THIS would be a good time to go to WDW if you're looking for a more easy going, more relaxed vacation....if you actually LIKE the "go with the flow" sort of thing a la Disneyland or vacations to other locales.

Many of them have really never experienced the wonder of walking through a practically empty park. Of really being able to go on a ride a couple of times in a row and not have to devote 2 hours to that.

If I hadn't ever been to WDW but had stayed away because of the D Day invasion of Normandy style of planning required, THIS is when I'd seriously consider going. NOW.

I also suspect that DL will follow a similar method when it reopens. Existing ADRs are still there (I've got one still for 7/1, but I have doubts as to whether it'll happen), but they, too, could easily cancel all of them and tell people to rebook. The difference will be that DL people won't lose their minds over being told they can rebook 60 days beforehand. It'll be like "Oh, ok, so it's like usual then."

DL doesn't have the whole "schedule your FP ride 6 months ahead of time" thing, so DL won't have to cancel anybody's FP reservations.

My first trip to WDW was in 2017 and I didn't even realize you had to make reservations far in advance until I booked my hotel at the All Star Movies Resort. I was meeting up with some family on the east coast so it was kind of a last minute thing. They actually didn't know about the advanced reservation system either. We were all Disneyland people our whole lives so we had no clue about that whole process. We still had fun but as I learned on my four other trips since then to really maximize your experience there you really do have to plan that far ahead to get the best of WDW has to offer.

On my trips where I knew what to expect it was actually a lot of fun scheduling ADR's and FP's way in advance. It was like you started your vacation before it even started. I really enjoyed the differences between planning WDW and going to DIsneyland. I've been to Disneyland more times than I can count so doing something new was really refreshing (besides the different rides, food, shows, etc).

So now that WDW is getting rid of all these advanced reservations, one part of me says I'll miss it but the other part is excited If I do go back soonish because I'll get to experience it "the Disneyland way".

Whatever happens, I just want my Disney parks back! I really don't care what capacity that's in. I'd truly be happy just walking around the parks even if most of the rides, restaurants and shows are closed.

Yes. Enter the barcodes and that will link the tickets to your account.

That’s what I was told but it didn’t work for me...I’ll wait and see how they’re handling onsite guests before I call to figure out how to get get my tickets linked

1- Is it likely that on site guests who rebooked a canceled reservation would get some sort of priority for park reservations in Sept?

Since this is a speculation thread, I'm going to speculate away!

Yes - IMO it is likely that on-park guests staying at one of the three on-park hotels (PPH, GCH, and DLH) will have some sort of guaranteed access to the parks during the length of their stay. Otherwise, there would effectively be no point in staying on-park. There would be mass cancellations of reservations as people are unable to get park reservations, that's a revenue and planning problem.

The known capacity of the parks is roughly 115,000 (DL + DCA), so the parks can accommodate 34,000 people (30%), which is far more than the carrying capacity of all the hotel rooms on-park. DLR can prioritize on-park guests AND allow off-park guests access (APs & ticket holders)

2- I have a Sig pass but my friend has nothing at this point. Would the 2 of us have the same chance of getting into the park(s) in Sept if she did not originally have a ticket?

No - from what I have read with WDW, existing ticket holders (tickets in hand) and AP holders will have access to whatever reservation system is implemented. Only after those persons have reserved will they release single day tickets with specific dates attached to them (currently what is being implemented at Shanghai Disneyland aka SDL).

The only way you and your friend might will be able to get access is if you both stay on-park, but I am not aware of how that would be provisioned.

If you are staying off park, SDL is limiting APs to 1 reserved day every 7 days, and AP holders are unable to book a second day until that 1st day is either used, cancelled, or expires. The only way an SDL AP holder is able to go two consecutive days is to a) book 1 day on a pass and b) buy a separate day ticket for the following day or c) stay on-park for guaranteed access. Again, I'm not sure how this will square with an AP holder staying on-park.

3- Might the reservations for going into the park be limited to one day, even if you're staying on site? And is it possible my friend and I might get different park days if so? It seems silly to stay 3 nights at GCH if we can only go to the park 1 day, especially if we weren't guaranteed to get the same day.

Doubtful, but possible. I'm unable to find any information about guests staying on-park at Shanghai Disneyland if they have guaranteed access to the parks for consecutive days. So for DLR, it could go either way.

I'll keep looking for SDL details.

****EDIT: see my post below, SDL hotel guests have guaranteed access to the parks******

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I'm not going to take it personally. They're all understandably very upset and disappointed. I just happened to volunteer to be their personal punching bag. They're welcome to tar and feather me. I'll survive.

I stand by what I wrote, though. It's a good opportunity if you choose to look at the situation from a different point of view than the DIS Boards traditional "I need to plan the death out of my WDW trip and if I can't schedule everything months ahead of time, then we might as well not go." THIS would be a good time to go to WDW if you're looking for a more easy going, more relaxed vacation....if you actually LIKE the "go with the flow" sort of thing a la Disneyland or vacations to other locales.

Many of them have really never experienced the wonder of walking through a practically empty park. Of really being able to go on a ride a couple of times in a row and not have to devote 2 hours to that.

If I hadn't ever been to WDW but had stayed away because of the D Day invasion of Normandy style of planning required, THIS is when I'd seriously consider going. NOW.

I also suspect that DL will follow a similar method when it reopens. Existing ADRs are still there (I've got one still for 7/1, but I have doubts as to whether it'll happen), but they, too, could easily cancel all of them and tell people to rebook. The difference will be that DL people won't lose their minds over being told they can rebook 60 days beforehand. It'll be like "Oh, ok, so it's like usual then."

DL doesn't have the whole "schedule your FP ride 6 months ahead of time" thing, so DL won't have to cancel anybody's FP reservations.
I’ve been awol for a few days and haven’t seen your other thread, but I’m sorry people weren’t nice. I agree with everything you said above.

As I think everyone here knows, I planned our (cancelled) Disneyland trip to the teeth. Multiple excel sheets were involved 🙂 Now, whenever we get to go to Disneyland, I don’t plan to plan a THING, unless reservations are still required for the SWGE stuff. Otherwise, we will ride what we ride. We won’t what we don’t. We will eat five trillion calories, and revel in the glory of being on Any Vacation Anywhere. Go with the flow. Relax. Enjoy.

As an aside, my husband has ill-advisedly been watching SWGE videos with our son, who is now once again talking about when we can go. I had to explain the concept of “one year” (maybe) and told him he would have to wear a mask the whole day. He now insists that his mask is “very comfy” and it is “just the most comfy in Star Wars” and he will totally wear it without complaining, no problem. Then he got all offended that the YouTube people weren’t wearing masks and repeatedly scolded them for rule breaking. 😂

Last edited:
Hah I was just on the wrong page, from Shanghai Disneyland:

A park ticket is not included in the room price, but admission to the park is guaranteed for hotel guests (including Shanghai Disney Resort Annual Pass holders staying in the hotel) in accordance with the room occupancy.
If hotel guests wish to visit the park, hotel Cast Members will assist in handling the ticket purchase or reservation procedure of valid tickets to ensure smooth entry.

Source: https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/hotels/shanghai-disneyland-hotel/rates-rooms/

Last edited:
ok, right I need some brainstorming help :)

I have rescheduled my June trip to October and booked Desert Inn and Suites. I don't have park tickets right now.

With the updates from Shanghai and now Walt Disney World, I'm having to think differently to previous years.

What if Disneyland suspends the purchase of new tickets and gives priority to AP holders, onsite guests and Good Neighbor Guests for the advance reservation of park days.

If you were in this position what would you do
  1. Keep the Desert Inn and Suites reservation (not a Good Neighbor Hotel) and wait until Disneyland reopens to buy park tickets
  2. Keep the Desert Inn and Suites reservation (not a Good Neighbor Hotel) and buy park tickets now, before Disneyland reopens
  3. Switch to a Good Neighbor Hotel, book direct with the hotel and wait until Disneyland reopens to buy park tickets
  4. Switch to a Good Neighbor Hotel book direct with the hotel and buy park tickets now, before Disneyland reopens
  5. Switch to a Good Neighbor Hotel and book a hotel and tickets package through Disney now, before Disneyland reopens

Speculating away. These won't be popular or possible feasible, but considering that guests may have problems sticking with the rules the entire time perhaps:
  • Guests are given a punch card or some other marker. If they have to be approached more than three times for not following guidelines, they can be asked to leave.
  • Timed entry for tickets? If reservations are required, then this is doable.
  • Thrill rides (where screaming or shouting may likely occur) will not be operating in the beginning
  • Pixie dust for following the rules. Stickers, recognition, a button, etc

I have rescheduled my June trip to October and booked Desert Inn and Suites. I don't have park tickets right now.

With the updates from Shanghai and now Walt Disney World, I'm having to think differently to previous years.

What if Disneyland suspends the purchase of new tickets and gives priority to AP holders, onsite guests and Good Neighbor Guests for the advance reservation of park days.

1. Keep the Desert Inn and Suites reservation (not a Good Neighbor Hotel) and wait until Disneyland reopens to buy park tickets
  2. Keep the Desert Inn and Suites reservation (not a Good Neighbor Hotel) and buy park tickets now, before Disneyland reopens
  3. Switch to a Good Neighbor Hotel, book direct with the hotel and wait until Disneyland reopens to buy park tickets
  4. Switch to a Good Neighbor Hotel book direct with the hotel and buy park tickets now, before Disneyland reopens
  5. Switch to a Good Neighbor Hotel and book a hotel and tickets package through Disney now, before Disneyland reopens
Option #5: Having a Disney vacation package suggests you should have priority for a reservation for entering the parks because Disney knows you exist as a scheduled guest with tickets.

Disney won’t be lumping a Disney package holder into the ‘anyone holding a ticket’ group. I’m in that grouping for ticket holders for WDW just because my DD’s CM comp tickets are linked to my account.

Disney isn’t going to allow a Disney package guest to be blocked from the parks by someone with complimentary tickets. 😊

Honestly, I think I'd keep myself as close to WDTC (Walt Disney Travel Co) as possible. IF any perks are going to be given based on where you're staying, they'll be given to people who've made their plans directly with Disney. And I'd be willing to bet that first 'priority' will be given to on-site guests. So, I wouldn't do 1 or 2. Going 'Good Neighbor' hotel may give you a bit better chance if you booked through WDTC (option 5), but IMO it's still a huge gamble and I wouldn't bet on it. GN hotels don't get the same perks as on-site, for example they don't get EMH and IIRC GN guests didn't get guaranteed access to SWL the way on-site guests did. If I could at all afford to stay onsite, I would. In fact, I'd be very tempted to reduce my overall days if it meant I could stay onsite.

Going by what's happening at SDL and WDW, having an AP or tickets ahead of time may get you a better shot at getting a reservation AFTER onsite guests, but there's no guarantee that you'd be able to reserve all (or any) of the days of your stay.

If I were to be making plans I'd either stay onsite OR I'd buy tickets but wouldn't book travel/hotel until I either knew more about DL's plans OR until I actually had reserved days in the parks. Or I'd make very sure that any travel plans I had included very liberal cancellation/refund policies.

From the choices you provided, I would either stick with DI&S or book through Disney if you feel that will improve your odds. I don't think the GN hotels will have any advantage over other hotels in the area, because the entire area is hurting. Aside from their own hotels, showing any favoritism in the surrounding area may not be looked on kindly by the city, whose only interest is getting the entire Anaheim Resort District back up and running as quickly and safely as possible.

Option #5: Having a Disney vacation package suggests you should have priority for a reservation for entering the parks because Disney knows you exist as a scheduled guest with tickets.

Disney won’t be lumping a Disney package holder into the ‘anyone holding a ticket’ group. I’m in that grouping for ticket holders for WDW just because my DD’s CM comp tickets are linked to my account.

Disney isn’t going to allow a Disney package guest to be blocked from the parks by someone with complimentary tickets. 😊

Thanks
I just priced up Camelot Inn, a Good Neighbor Hotel and it came to $700 above what I would be paying DIY at Desert Inn and Suites, hotel and park tickets separate. The Disney package is Park Hopper tickets, which are more expensive than 1 day 1 park tickets and are for length of stay.

Honestly, I think I'd keep myself as close to WDTC (Walt Disney Travel Co) as possible. IF any perks are going to be given based on where you're staying, they'll be given to people who've made their plans directly with Disney. And I'd be willing to bet that first 'priority' will be given to on-site guests. So, I wouldn't do 1 or 2. Going 'Good Neighbor' hotel may give you a bit better chance if you booked through WDTC (option 5), but IMO it's still a huge gamble and I wouldn't bet on it. GN hotels don't get the same perks as on-site, for example they don't get EMH and IIRC GN guests didn't get guaranteed access to SWL the way on-site guests did. If I could at all afford to stay onsite, I would. In fact, I'd be very tempted to reduce my overall days if it meant I could stay onsite.

Going by what's happening at SDL and WDW, having an AP or tickets ahead of time may get you a better shot at getting a reservation AFTER onsite guests, but there's no guarantee that you'd be able to reserve all (or any) of the days of your stay.

If I were to be making plans I'd either stay onsite OR I'd buy tickets but wouldn't book travel/hotel until I either knew more about DL's plans OR until I actually had reserved days in the parks. Or I'd make very sure that any travel plans I had included very liberal cancellation/refund policies.

If I did onsite I could barely manage 1 park day 2 nights so thats not an option. My flights are booked, date changed from June, which again I have no option on, a use it or lose it situation. I'm flying international and just want to be in Disney and LA. At this stage, even I only get 1 park day out of 4, I would be happy and could find plenty to do Downtown Disney and Anaheim on non park days.

So yeah, I guess none of your suggestions really help me or are suitable for my situation :confused3

From the choices you provided, I would either stick with DI&S or book through Disney if you feel that will improve your odds. I don't think the GN hotels will have any advantage over other hotels in the area, because the entire area is hurting. Aside from their own hotels, showing any favoritism in the surrounding area may not be looked on kindly by the city, whose only interest is getting the entire Anaheim Resort District back up and running as quickly and safely as possible.

thanks I hadn't thought about Disney's relationship with Anaheim city officials and how blocking out non Good Neighbour Hotels would not be good PR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter