Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Oh, no, the random predictions for masks keep getting worse! (Anyone want to estimate something more optimistic, like two weeks or something? XD)
My prediction is that over time the rule will slowly go away:
- When parks for reopen it will be required by all workers and guests
- Then later on in the year(s) as we understand more about the virus, and if things look good, it will be optional for guests but mandatory for workers. Also if experiences that draw large crowds (i.e. Fantasmic, Fireworks, Parades) are brought back, I could see it being enforced for those.
- Then as things hopefully settle, they won't be required at all

These stressful times aren't exactly bringing out the best in everyone, but I do want to say thank you to the DISers here who have been making the effort to show kindness and good humor here on the boards -- that goes a long way these days and means a lot more than you might think. We've had people comment that they come here specifically for the civility and kindness that they find here on this board. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the thanks @theluckyrabbit, and well said.

So I read that Ventura and San Diego counties are able to go deeper into stage 2. Ugh all the counties surrounding orange county lol. Although I sense there will be some movement of people during the Holiday weekend to these counties for shopping and eating

So I read that Ventura and San Diego counties are able to go deeper into stage 2. Ugh all the counties surrounding orange county lol. Although I sense there will be some movement of people during the Holiday weekend to these counties for shopping and eating

Orange County had a bad day yesterday (https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/...ay-for-deaths-and-new-cases-wednesday-may-20/) though with the new criteria it's still possible for them to meet the Stage 2 requirements if their positive test percentage stays below 8%. As a potential visitor though, those numbers don't give me the warm and fuzzies.

**Mod Disclaimer: This post refers to USO, not USH.

I just heard breaking news that Universal Studios is doing soft opening (CMs only) June 1st, pass-holders June 3rd, general June 5th. Not 100% capacity. Can DL be far behind? My source was Provost Park Pass YouTube video. I hope I'm okay posting this here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard breaking news that Universal Studios is doing soft opening (CMs only) June 1st, pass-holders June 3rd, general June 5th. Not 100% capacity. Can DL be far behind? My source was Provost Park Pass YouTube video. I hope I'm okay posting this here?

That rumor is for Florida per that video, unlikely we can apply that to DL in California.

That rumor is for Florida per that video, unlikely we can apply that to DL in California.

Sorry, I guess I mis-heard/understood. I thought he said something referencing OC? "...about 18 minutes ago Universal Studios was meeting with the Orange County Economic Recovery Taskforce..." At about the :55 mark in the video. Agreed, not as relevant to DL if it's US Florida.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess I mis-heard/understood. I thought he said something referencing OC? "...was meeting with the Orange County Economic Recovery Taskforce..." At about the :55 mark in the video. Agreed, not as relevant to DL if it's US Florida.
Both WDW and DL are located in Orange County, which makes things a little confusing. One key thing for California though is that the Universal Studios Hollywood is in Los Angeles County. So they would follow LA county rules.

Sorry, I guess I mis-heard/understood. I thought he said something referencing OC? "...about 18 minutes ago Universal Studios was meeting with the Orange County Economic Recovery Taskforce..." At about the :55 mark in the video. Agreed, not as relevant to DL if it's US Florida.
Universal Studios Florida is in Orange County, Florida.

Disneyland is in Orange County, California.

WDW is in Orange County, Florida

Universal Studios Hollywood is in Los Angeles County, California

Too many oranges 🍊

Ahhhhh, that explains it! I did look at the comments on the video and he did make an update that he should have referenced Florida. I never knew there were two Orange Counties! Learn something every day. Sorry for the time-wasting, everybody!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...vacation/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q3wo0521200527200012C
I feel like this doesn’t bode well for a reopening date anytime soon... if anything it feels like a ‘stop asking us’ post. Hopefully I’m wrong...

I think you're right they probably don't want people to continue to bother them with reopening questions especially when everything is so uncertain. I don't see Disneyland opening anytime soon though I know a lot of people want them to open (I want them to open when they feel like they are ready to handle everything.)

I wonder if they will try to open on their 65th anniversary.
I think the focus will be more on re-opening than on making it meaningful. As they have been closed for so long, the date will be memorable no matter what.
In all honesty I think it's better not to go for a meaningful date like the anniversary or the 4th of July, as those events attract crowds. And you want to do something special with fireworks and parades, special merchandise and snacks, which will cause congestion.
My uneducated guess is that for at least 2-3 months there will be reduced crowds, and only after the summer they will (be able to) scale up to more 'normal' crowds.

If read a few tea leaves that point to a July open. Can any one help answer these questsions?

1. Admission isn't guaranteed right? Its by reservation system?
2. Is stay at Disney properties required for admission?
3. Is July the rumored open date?

My biggest question is how are they going to control capacity. We usually stay on Harbor, but I’m thinking resort guests might get priority, followed by a lottery system for APs. Should I make an on property reservations for our tentative dates? We have October and December booked.

If read a few tea leaves that point to a July open. Can any one help answer these questsions?

1. Admission isn't guaranteed right? Its by reservation system?
2. Is stay at Disney properties required for admission?
3. Is July the rumored open date?
My biggest question is how are they going to control capacity. We usually stay on Harbor, but I’m thinking resort guests might get priority, followed by a lottery system for APs. Should I make an on property reservations for our tentative dates? We have October and December booked.

Come to over to the speculation thread for some robust discussion on rumors/tea leaf reading

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!