Disneyland Short Escape vs. Disneyland Resort and SOCAL

TXAKDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
The Disneyland Resort and SoCal ABD is 6 days/5 nights (currently anywhere from $3,200 to $3,900 for adults), vs the short escape which is 4 days/3 nights (currently about $2,239 for adults). Looking at doing one of these trips in summer 2019.

We (DH and I) have never done an ABD trip before. We have 4 young children, and would prob leave them with grandparents (who live in Cali) for the ABD part of the trip (I'm assuming we'd also spend an extra couple days at DL). DH lived in Cali when he was very young but doesn't remember it at all; I grew up going to DL. We've been to DL together a couple times but prefer WDW (AP holders). I remember thinking Hollywood was seedy as a kid; I don't think DH has ever been to Hollywood, so him seeing it once is really the only draw there.

Are the DL-specific parts of both trips similar? Does the longer trip have any major advantages over the shorter trip (esp regarding the DL parts)?

Also, would there be any benefit to going on the ABD after Galaxy's Edge opens? I'm not sure how the "park VIP visit" parts of the trip work - is it like a VIP tour where we'd be able to get on rides (hopefully the new SW rides) without hours long waits?

We did the original Backstage Magic tour in 2015. I compared it against this new trip and thought what Disney is doing is a neat idea. I know several people on the boards that have done multiple Backstage Magic Tour and I don't think I could go through the whole Hollywood/Muppets/Train thing AGAIN. I so enjoyed it, but once was enough. I could do the disneyland leg again easily.

To me their new long weekend trip looks exactly like what I did in 2015 Disneyland leg.

Yes I would wait for Star Wars to open. Not sure if that would be a backstage experience but you would certainly have priority ride with ABD. We love riding etc. but felt what we did with ABD for 3 days was honestly enough. We had an extra day to which we went to the park the following day but didnt' do very much. We were done. I should add since the fast passes they give you are NOT elgible for Carsland - I will assume they will not be eligible for any newer rides at disneyland either. That being said not much is FP eligible. We ended up giving a few of our sets away.

THAT being said my Backstage Magic 7 day trip was 2300 I believe in 2015. WELL WELL worth it. If it were me, I would advise you do the full Backstage Magic trip - again I am not some huge muppet, train, hollywood fan - but it was really nice to see.

We are looking at the short escape because it fits perfectly as a pre-cruise option before our 2019 Spring Break Wonder sailing out of San Diego. I assume that’s one of the reasons they created the short break. Looking forward to hearing reviews from some of the folks who do it during the fall 2018 dates.

Just as an FYI, my experience wit FP this past December was very different. Ours was available for use at Cars Land. I have heard this from others, so I’m not sure if we just got lucky, or if things have changed.

I have looked at the short escape, and while Hollywood wasn’t really my thing, the one thing, to me, that isn’t as appealing with the short escape is they do DL and DCA on the same day. On Backstage Magic, it is broken out into two days. To me, for that reason alone, I’d do BSM again after Galaxy’s Edge is open. I just don’t know how much Backstage stuff you’d give up doing the short escape.

Plus, I would think that having the extra time, after Galaxy’s Edge opens, is definitely going to be worth it.

We are looking at the short escape because it fits perfectly as a pre-cruise option before our 2019 Spring Break Wonder sailing out of San Diego. I assume that’s one of the reasons they created the short break. Looking forward to hearing reviews from some of the folks who do it during the fall 2018 dates.

I believe most or all of the trips end the day a cruise begins, similar to the Barcelona and other European add-ons.

I believe most or all of the trips end the day a cruise begins, similar to the Barcelona and other European add-ons.

Yes, they do. They even offer your choice of transportation to LAX or the port in San Diego.

Here's the big differences I can see:

- Short Escape stays in a Disneyland hotel the entire trip
- Short Escape does not have the Henson Studios/Hollywood Day
- Short Escape combines Disneyland and California Adventure days into one, while the full tour has a VIP guided day dedicated to each.

Both include Disney Studios and Imagineering. If you don't care about the Hollywood aspects or having extra VIP tour time, then I think doing the short escape and adding days in Disneyland is going to be a better value. You could also transfer to a cheaper hotel after the tour ends if budget is a big concern, but I think never having to change hotels is a nice bonus.

- Short Escape combines Disneyland and California Adventure days into one, while the full tour has a VIP guided day dedicated to each.

Both include Disney Studios and Imagineering. If you don't care about the Hollywood aspects or having extra VIP tour time, then I think doing the short escape and adding days in Disneyland is going to be a better value. You could also transfer to a cheaper hotel after the tour ends if budget is a big concern, but I think never having to change hotels is a nice bonus.

I was planning to book a few days pre-cruise at DL on my own. But I find like the look of the short escape because it offers a bit more than just standard park days as a pre-cruise option.

We’ll def add DL days either way (the kids would be pretty upset if they went to Cali and didn’t go to DL!). Assuming we’d have to switch rooms at the GC, or at least add on a room (we usually do connecting rooms since we have 4 kids).

We’ll def add DL days either way (the kids would be pretty upset if they went to Cali and didn’t go to DL!). Assuming we’d have to switch rooms at the GC, or at least add on a room (we usually do connecting rooms since we have 4 kids).

I would imagine if you wanted connecting rooms the ABD guides could work with the hotel to make sure it happens. I don't think the normal rooms sleep 6, but you also might be able to upgrade to a suite so everyone can stay together. Also for your other question, the VIP tour means that your ABD group gets a few VIP tour guides who will help you skip every line and get the best seats at every show. So they would let you skip the lines for the new Star Wars attractions.

I would imagine if you wanted connecting rooms the ABD guides could work with the hotel to make sure it happens. I don't think the normal rooms sleep 6, but you also might be able to upgrade to a suite so everyone can stay together. Also for your other question, the VIP tour means that your ABD group gets a few VIP tour guides who will help you skip every line and get the best seats at every show. So they would let you skip the lines for the new Star Wars attractions.
Awesome! DH esp is a big SW fan - he def wants to go to both lands at DL and WDW (we’ve been going to WDW for Thanksgiving so hopefully that one is open then).

The wife and I our doing the short escape on May 3rd. We added an additional night at DL after the ABD (still staying at the GC). We than have two nights staying out by Beverly Hills to do some of the local LA stuff.

We had no interest in the Hollywood portion of the SoCal adventure so the short escape seems like it will be perfect for us.

The wife and I our doing the short escape on May 3rd. We added an additional night at DL after the ABD (still staying at the GC). We than have two nights staying out by Beverly Hills to do some of the local LA stuff.

We had no interest in the Hollywood portion of the SoCal adventure so the short escape seems like it will be perfect for us.
We are interested in booking the DL short escape but will probably wait until Star Wars opens in 2019. It is perfect for us as well since we grew up in SoCal and are not interested in taking a week off work for Backstage Magic and Hollywood. Please check back in and let us know what you think of this ABD. You will be one of the first!

We are interested in booking the DL short escape but will probably wait until Star Wars opens in 2019. It is perfect for us as well since we grew up in SoCal and are not interested in taking a week off work for Backstage Magic and Hollywood. Please check back in and let us know what you think of this ABD. You will be one of the first!

Yeah I am sure being a California native the last thing you need is to see the Walk of Fame. We are excited for the ABD as it will be our first time to Disneyland (and our first ABD). We are FL residents and having been going to WDW since the 80’s, but I have always wanted to see “Walt’s Park”.

I will certainly post a review and some thoughts after the trip. VIP access with Galaxies Edge I am sure will be amazing when you go.

Yeah I am sure being a California native the last thing you need is to see the Walk of Fame. We are excited for the ABD as it will be our first time to Disneyland (and our first ABD). We are FL residents and having been going to WDW since the 80’s, but I have always wanted to see “Walt’s Park”.

I will certainly post a review and some thoughts after the trip. VIP access with Galaxies Edge I am sure will be amazing when you go.

Look forward to your review.

I am interested in the short escape as well. It would be our first ABD so I have no idea what to expect. As far as park time, is there any 'VIP-ness' to that? I know they do give fast passes but do they provide enough to be able to do several rides? I'm just imagining getting into a park in the afternoon and scrambling to try to get fast passes or use max pass. Thanks!!

I am interested in the short escape as well. It would be our first ABD so I have no idea what to expect. As far as park time, is there any 'VIP-ness' to that? I know they do give fast passes but do they provide enough to be able to do several rides? I'm just imagining getting into a park in the afternoon and scrambling to try to get fast passes or use max pass. Thanks!!
We are on this short escape starting tomorrow--will do a short report after!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter