Disneyland to Las Vegas

daveyc150

<font color=blue>I read this forum all the time<br
I will be travelling between Disneyland and Las vegras by car later this year. I was wondering how long it will take and if there are any great things that we shouldn't miss along the way.

Cheers
David

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Ironic. We just did this trip Wednesday (7/9). I was attending a meeting all week in Anaheim at the Hilton. Got out early on Wednesday and asked wife if she wanted to go. Haven't been to Vegas in 10 years. We grabbed a quick bite to eat & were off 12:15 or so. Got gas in Barstow along the way & hit speeds that are unheard of back home. 90 - 100 was the norm, and not a cop in sight! Pay attention to the big trucks though, they were having to go SLOW up the long, steady inclines in the desert. But they stayed in their marked lanes to the right and weren't a problem.

We got into Vegas approx 4:00 & stayed until 9:30 PM. Grabbed gas just outside of town and was back at the Hilton by 01:15 Thursday AM. IT was a real quick trip, but we had a blast!

Not much to see along the way. It took us 5 hours. We stopped 2 times.
Once at the In and Out burger place to see what all the hype was about.
Good burgers but not as good as everyone says.

People drive fast. There are a lot of pretty views. I took pictures but it looks much better in person.

We went from Vegas through Death Valley then to DisneyLand. It was wonderful:goodvibes It just depends on how much time you have and what you want to see and do.

I will be travelling between Disneyland and Las vegras by car later this year. I was wondering how long it will take and if there are any great things that we shouldn't miss along the way.

Cheers
David

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

I live in Vegas and have APs to Disneyland so we make that trek often. It usually takes us about 4 and a half hours, and that includes one brief stop to eat.
I just wanted to say that we've seen several horrific accidents along the way, and my DH who works at a local hospital, has seen several people helicoptered in from along the 15 freeway. Not the way you want to arrive in Vegas. :guilty: So please be careful out there. We want you to arrive safe and sound. :)

As far as great things not to miss, well, I wouldn't call them great, but there are things to see. In Barstow there is an In-n-Out burger as was previously mentioned. Good place to eat. There are also outlet stores there.

In Yermo, just past Barstow, there is Peggy Sue's Diner. Never been in there but I've heard the food is good. http://www.allaboutthefun.com/ALLABOUTTHEFUN/Peggy_Sue's_50.html

Also along the way is Calico Ghost Town. Same exit as Peggy Sue's I think. It's something kind of interesting to see, if you have the time. We stopped once with the kids and they liked it alright. http://www.calicotown.com/

In Baker, also known as Gateway to Death Valley, you'll find the Mad Greek, the world's largest thermometor and some "Alien Jerky".http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/madgreek.htm Their food is pretty good. They are known for their fresh strawberry shakes.
We've had their chicken Gyro:
DSCF4900.jpg

Here is the Alien Jerky store:
DSCF3339.jpg

DSCF3338.jpg

Other then that, it's pretty much a boring drive. You'll see lots of this:
DSCF4897.jpg

DSCF4898.jpg

Hope that helps.

It's a pretty desolate drive, and the traffic can get really bad on Friday evenings. It took me 9 hours to get back to San Diego on a Sunday once (it should take 5).

The freeway in the desert is only 2 lanes each way, so if there is an accident, you could be stuck for a long time.

The outlet center in Primm is pretty nice, and it's indoors and air-conditioned. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter