Disneyland to Santa Barbara

Dis Ohana

All your dreams can come true if you have the cour
We will be driving to Santa Barbara from Disneyland.
When I pull the route up on mapquest, it says the best way is on the 101N. I see that there is also a road along the coast that goes through Malibu (hwy 1); is this a nice drive? About how long would it take? How is traffic on a Friday afternoon?

Thanks!

HWY 1 through Malibu is a nice ocean side route. You'll see mostly
houses on the beach and on a Friday afternoon astounding traffic.
You will soon head inland and through Oxnard and lots of agriculture
and back to the 101.

Thanks for the information. I think we'll skip the detour. I thought it would be less traffic than the other route. I guess we'll just go on the 101N and try to get out of traffic as soon as possible.

Given the traffic situation on Friday afternoon, if we leave Disneyland at around 3:00 is it safe to say we'll arrive at SB by 5:30 (mapquest says 2 hrs)? I'm trying to avoid driving at night since we are not familiar with the area. Thanks!

Disneyland to the HWY 405 (HWY 5 to the 101) at that time of day
will be very slow. Then around Oxnard it will jam up again. But after
Oxnard - along the coast - it should be a fast, plesent drive. I would
plan on 3 to 3.5 hours on a Friday afternoon.

Since it's such a straight shot (5 to the 101) even those unfimilar
with the area have no problem with that drive. But frankly, anytime
on Friday that drive is going to take a long time. Lot's of people
heading to SB for the weekend.

Thanks again, Stage Tek. I guess no matter where you go on a Friday afternoon you're bound to run into traffic. I'll just make sure the ipod is charged up! Thanks!

Thanks again, Stage Tek. I guess no matter where you go on a Friday afternoon you're bound to run into traffic. I'll just make sure the ipod is charged up! Thanks!

That is correct and the traffic begins early on Fridays.... sometimes as early as 2 PM! It is strange but true.... and very crowded. The 101 is one of the busiest in California...and it backs up every Friday in several areas especially North of Oxnard on the way to Santa Barbara...

We've decided to leave for SB on Saturday instead of Friday. Is the traffic as bad on Saturday afternoon? How much time should we allow for the drive over? Thanks!

We've decided to leave for SB on Saturday instead of Friday. Is the traffic as bad on Saturday afternoon? How much time should we allow for the drive over? Thanks!

The drive on a Saturday mid-afternoon should not be bad....this is a great choice. As for how long it will take... its about 120 miles +/- a few..... I would say you should get there in less than 2 1/2 hours......
assuming the traffic complies...maybe less

Thanks, Disney Hot Mama. I was a little concerned about big crowds at Disneyland on Friday so I thought we'd leave to avoid that. But I'd much rather be standing in a traffic jam on Main Street waiting for the fireworks to start than sitting there on the 101. ;)

I just love Santa Barbara. Actually I love Casistas Springs and Ojai, and Ventura.....you can tell I am a Ventura county native, as is my DH, and DD.If i ever win the lottery I am moving to Montecito.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter