Disneyland vs. Disney World - March 2021

TikiRob

In a Tropical Hideaway
Apologies in advance as I really didn't know where this post should belong, but I thought my DVC friends might be my best bet!

Our family of 4 (DD11 & DD15) canceled our maiden voyage to Disneyland (and Hollywood/LA/SoCal Beaches) last March. I wouldn't call it a once in a lifetime trip, but not going to happen again for some time.

I lucked out and scored 4 nights in a studio at Grand Californian during March of 2021 (originally we were staying at an off-site hotel). We also booked a backup 8-night split-stay (AKL & BWV) trip to Disney World at the same time.

While we have some time to finalize, we have flight credits expiring and we really should be making a decision soon. The question is:

A. Enjoy the Grand Californian and Disneyland (assuming it is open by then!) despite SoCal still reeling from a pandemic and possibly miss out on closed studio tours and other closed touristy stuff.

OR

B. Play it "safe" and enjoy the bubble of Disney World and go to Cali when things are "better", though we may not get to stay at the Grand Californian.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I think we were headed to Cali about the same time as I remember your posts on that thread. I grabbed some nights for Feb 2021 but just recently cancelled. I just know how excited we all were for our trip last March and I just was not sure Disneyland will be what it was going to be for awhile - things like the Color show and Fantasmic were big on our to do list. Plus the joy of park hopping there was supposed to be grand and no idea if it will be allowed even if they open before March. So I would vote for Disney World this trip and save Cali for when you know it will be what it should be again. If the World is still open in March they will have been open for a long time and all the new practices should be running smoothly probably making for a nicer trip anyways.

I think we were headed to Cali about the same time as I remember your posts on that thread. I grabbed some nights for Feb 2021 but just recently cancelled. I just know how excited we all were for our trip last March and I just was not sure Disneyland will be what it was going to be for awhile - things like the Color show and Fantasmic were big on our to do list. Plus the joy of park hopping there was supposed to be grand and no idea if it will be allowed even if they open before March. So I would vote for Disney World this trip and save Cali for when you know it will be what it should be again. If the World is still open in March they will have been open for a long time and all the new practices should be running smoothly probably making for a nicer trip anyways.

Oh, hey! Yeah, crazy how quickly everything transpired over a few days.

I didn’t even think about Fantasmic and World of Color. Both are on our list too. It would stink if you couldn’t park-hop either. Stay safe and here is hoping we get there in 2022!

I vote for WDW. Having more certainty makes planning and anticipation better.
If staying at Grand Cali is a goal, perhaps a cash stay when things are more normal?

My guess is that when Disneyland finally opens it'll be SLAMMED with the pent up demand of all us annual passholders. It was often slammed pre-Covid with no restrictions! With reduced numbers allowed to enter, it may be a real challenge just to get admission into the parks. WDW seems like more of a known experience.

But either way, do come and see us sometime in the future and stay at Grand Cal, it's wonderful!

If being able to score a VGC reservation is the main reason you'd want to risk it, I'd say go to WDW and plan on going to VGC later.

There are other ways to get into the VGC, and I suspect there will be at least some members who aren't able to use all of their points the next few years who might be willing to do a transfer of those extra points. Also, if you're willing to spend the points on a 1 bedroom, those typically go last, so are easier to score at the 7 month mark with your own points. Or, if you wait a few years, there will also be the DLH Villas ...

We are scheduled for 3 nights at VGC in a 2 bed in March 21. We had originally scheduled at WDW, but would be flying from AZ (family of 5 - big $$$). When I snagged the VGC, we switched to avoid the flights and take the drive instead. I am now wondering if we should change back, or just bank these points since they are Feb. 2021 points, and just push out to 2022 and maybe get back to Aulani.

I am going to see what is happening around the new year and probably make a decision. We're not huge fireworks or parade people, so a more "limited" experience doesn't really bother us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!