Disneyland VS. Disneyworld

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
So we have been to WDW 5 times since 2014 and just came back from 10 nights. I am thinking of going to Disneyland in 2020 for a 5 night stay. Can someone who has been to both places tell me the biggest differences besides size and were you let down by Disneyland (I have heard mixed stories from others who have done both and said Disneyland was run down and dirty?)
Also what time of year would you go? I am thinking of October?
thank you

There are lots of threads on this topic if you search a bit.
I love Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland feels sooooo much easier- no crazy planning months ahead, much easier to park hop, much easier to get dining reservations. Carsland itself is worth the trip in my opinion. Radiator Springs Racers is probably my favorite of all the rides in WDW or DL. Some of the classic rides are better at Disneyland - Pirates and Space Mountain are definitely better in California. It's worth the trip, I don't think you will be disappointed. I never thought it was run down or dirty - seemed to have the same standards as WDW. I was last there in 2015, but heading back Feb 2020 and super excited! It's magical in it's own special way.

The area surrounding Disneyland might seem run down and dirty to some if you are only used to seeing Disney resort grounds, but it is typical old California motels. Coming from someone who went to Disneyland for the first time before Disneyworld, I do have to say that even then the castle was a little underwhelming to see. However, Disneyland is special, more homey and intimate than Disneyworld. No crazy planning, definitely more relaxed. You can walk back and forth to your hotel. Carsland is like no other. A lot of locals visit the parks, so it just feels different. We also happen to love California so for us it is never just a visit to Disneyland.

Last edited:
WDW vet who has been there 50+ times over the years. Took our 1st trip to Disneyland last year. Yes, it's smaller. But don't think for a second that there isn't tons to do. Disneyland (IMO) is far superior to the Magic Kingdom. It is smaller and everything seems a bit scaled down, but there are more rides, including classic dark rides not found at MK. Pirates and DL Railroad are both umpteen times better. Main Street is also far more interesting at Disneyland. Much better food options at Disneyland as well. It's just a different atmosphere. You don't have people running around like lunatics trying to get on whatever they can as fast as they can. It's more of a locals park, so it's more laid back. As for DCA, I thought it was great. Very nice park. Radiator Springs Racers is the greatest attractions Disney has built since the original Tower of Terror, and I don't even care for the Cars movies. We spent 6 nights there, never ventured off property and never even saw the outside world other than arriving and leaving. They do an amazing job at immersion. Going back next April and can't wait. Nobody wanted to go back to WDW. It's become a chaotic military operation as opposed to a fun vacation.

Go with the idea that it is different and appreciate the differences. I think DL is like WDW was 10+ years ago. More calm and relaxed. A majority of the rides are different even if it's the same ride. I live 10 minutes from WDW so go very frequently and have been to DL 3 times recently and going 2 more times before January. I love both because they are so different yet similar. CarsLand can't compare to anything at WDW! You'll really enjoy DL if you love WDW.

So we have been to WDW 5 times since 2014 and just came back from 10 nights. I am thinking of going to Disneyland in 2020 for a 5 night stay. Can someone who has been to both places tell me the biggest differences besides size and were you let down by Disneyland (I have heard mixed stories from others who have done both and said Disneyland was run down and dirty?)
thank you

If you do go in October, don't go the 2nd week of the month because that's when a lot of AZ and UT schools have off for fall break. There's a thread on here from just a couple of days ago that describes the insanely long lines. October is a VERY popular month. This year at least, more popular than June or July.

Our family has been to WDW (for ~ 8 days) and DL (6 nights, 5-day tickets). Hydroguy has a very helpful post that explains the essential differences of DL for WDW veterans.

Here's my personal opinion on both resorts:

WDW:
  • sometimes complicated transportation. Seems to take forever to get places. Worse than my commute to work at home at times.
  • Because of complicated transportation, getting to rope drop at any park required us to be up and out of bed WAY earlier than we would on a DL visit.
  • TS restaurants good, but overpriced (price standard though for a Disney park)
  • Quick Service restaurants were bleh. DL wins over WDW on this hands down.
  • Really enjoyed MK, hated Epcot (felt like partially an 80s Silicon Valley office park put next to a gigantic outdoor shopping & eating mall), really enjoyed AK (but oh Lord, so hot at AK!). Didn't go to HS.
  • hated how hot & sweaty we were in FL all of the time. DL wins over on this for weather at pretty much almost any time of year.
  • loved how MK had some of the attractions I remembered from DL as a kid.
  • BTMRR is a longer ride at WDW.
  • Splash Mtn is slightly better at WDW, but the DL verison is great, too.
  • Dinosaur is Indiana Jones' sad distant cousin.
  • Resort pools were great.
  • Enjoyed seeing a couple of characters at our on site hotel.
  • On site hotel activities like making Mickey tie-dye t-shirts was great.
  • Hated the FP+ system. Hated having to book rides before you even get there.
  • Hated the entire concept of making ADRs 6 months before your arrival. It's ridiculous.
  • Really enjoyed our trip overall, but planning it was so complicated. It felt like work, like we had to stick to a prescribed schedule.
  • WDW had a lot more PP photographers, but they often had long lines of people.
DL:
  • only 3 on site hotels to choose from, compared to dozens at WDW. Have stayed at DLH before. That place is great. But staying on site at DL is not a must do like it is for a lot of people at WDW. We usually stay at a hotel along Harbor Blvd so we can walk to the main gate in 10 min or less (i.e., less of a walk than walking from the Contemporary Resort to Magic Kingdom).
  • hardly any of the Harbor Blvd hotels will give you the resort experience you'd get at an on site WDW hotel. Howard Johnson's has a fun water park/play area for families. Their customer service is great there, but they're on the high end of price/night for off site hotels.
  • DL's castle IS smaller. That's ok. DL is a more cozy, intimate experience. When you're in each land, you feel sort of enveloped in it. New Orleans Square and Adventureland are totally awesome at this. I'd have to say Fantasyland, too.
  • FP system is way easier. Can't get any FP until you actually scan your ticket to enter a park that day.
  • Max Pass is totally worth the $15/day/person fee.
  • Carsland is amazing. RSR puts Test Track to shame.
  • GRR is a way better ride than Kali River Rapids. Ride is much longer and more thrilling.
  • Theme'ing in the area around Soarin' is better than at Epcot, but both rides are totally the same experience.
  • The "streetmosphere" CMs in DCA on Buena Vista Street are a lot of fun - Officer Blue, Molly Messenger, and there's this lady in a fur coat (or maybe it's a fur hat?) with a puppet dog. Very entertaining & funny!
  • I feel like DL does a better job than at WDW at roaming entertainment...roaming musical acts + roaming characters around various lands.
  • Character meet & greets & interactions are more organic, fluid at DL compared to WDW. I don't think there's any FP at DL for character meet & greets, compared to at WDW, you need one for every meet & greet or else you wait an hour just to take one picture.
  • Fewer PP photographers available. But if you purchase Max Pass, you get PhotoPass included + ride photos.
  • Way easier at DL to change your plans on the fly than at WDW.
  • Only 3 on site hotels have EMH compared to a couple dozen at WDW. Plus most DL park guests are locals to Southern CA. This means that being at rope drop at DL is totally worth it. Parks often won't start to seem busy until about 11-11:30 am. So those first 3 hours (if the parks open at 8 am) are golden.
  • When things start to seem really busy & bothersome, you can just walk across Harbor Blvd and in 10 min, you are at your hotel taking a break...rest, watch TV, pool time. At WDW, just getting back to your hotel could take an hour.
  • Park hopping is way easier. When you're at the DL main gate, you turn around and can see the DCA main gate. Takes <5 min to walk from 1 main gate to the other.
  • Not staying "inside the bubble" is not a big deal at DL. Not staying inside the bubble can also mean that you might be able to afford trip upgrades like the World of Color dessert party or a Fantasmic dining package (where you can sit down to see the show instead of stand up the entire time).
  • I've heard that Fantasmic at DL is far superior to the WDW one.
  • watching fireworks over by IASW is pretty great.
  • That being said, IASW at DL is better than at WDW in my opinion.

One of the main reasons we regularly go to Disneyland in July and August is the weather. Sunny all the time, 85 degrees every day, no rain, ever, and low humidity (by our East coast standards). The one time we went to WDW in summer it was hot and sticky all the time with a thunderstorm every day.

Is DL run down and dirty?
In my experience, no. If you're staying at an off site hotel and walking to DL, you WILL see a few homeless people. But even walking back to our off site hotel late at night, it's very well lit and VERY safe.

Off site hotels:
Our family has stayed at the following off site hotels. You didn't ask about this specifically, but when I was planning our 1st DL trip, I needed this sort of info so I'm sharing it here in case it might help with your trip planning.
  1. Best Western Pavilions - far walk. Probably 15 min in a.m., 20-25 min in the evening when you're tried. Going TO the parks in the a.m., you cannot cut through the GCH (Grand Californian Hotel). Going back TO the hotel, you can cut through GCH. Super clean rooms, super clean & fairly large pool (we liked the pool), parking at the time was free (I think it's $5 now), you get vouchers for 2 free adult breakfasts next door at Denny's. Rooms all have fridge & microwave in them. On site hotels only have fridge in the room, no microwave. Marri's Pizza next door has good reasonably priced Italian food with massive serving sizes. Cheapest room rate.
  2. Best Western Stovall's - also on Katella Ave like BW Pavilions, slightly shorter walk, same route to get to parks. 2 pools instead of 1, free breakfast, parking is ~$10-11, I think. Really clean rooms. Free hot breakfast saved us a lot of $$ on food. Slightly more expensive per night than BW Pavilions.
  3. Howard Johnson's (HOJO's) - on Harbor Blvd. 8 min walk, probably 10-15 late in the day when you're tired. Free parking until 3 pm on check out day. Family/kids' water play area was GREAT! Really good customer service here. Very clean rooms. Walk to/from parks very well lit, very safe even late at night when it was just me & the kids (DH retired to the room early). Some rooms only have fridge in room, most have fridge+microwave. No on site restaurant, but there are some counter service options on the walk to the park (Panera Bread, McDonald's, etc.). Most expensive of the off site places we've stayed at.
  4. Park Vue Inn - stayed here this past spring. It had free parking & free hot breakfast. Closest walk. Next door to Best Western Park Place Inn (which is RIGHT at the crosswalk), so this meant that it was like a 5 min walk from our hotel room door to the security tents at the Esplanade. THIS WAS SO AWESOME! Clean room, walls a little thin (but we use a white noise app on 1 of our phones to deal with that), pool is in the middle of the parking lot (you can't see into the pool area though when you're standing in the parking lot). Pool is not gigantic, but is does the trick for my kids who don't care about the size of the pool. Had good customer service here. Before tax, our room rate was $169/night.

Here's the Hydroguy thread I mentioned --> https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/

DL does not have Magical Express like WDW does from the airport. So if you're not renting a car, you need to arrange for your own airport transfers. The Santa Ana airport is the closest to Anaheim distance-wise. A lot of people like flying into the Long Beach airport. LAX often ends up being cheapest in terms of airfare, but the biggest hassle in terms of time you need to allow getting to/from there.

You may encounter folks who might say that 3 days is plenty at DL and more than that is too much. I personally disagree. Our favorite DL trip so far as been the time we stayed 6 nights at Hojo's and had 5-day park hopper tickets. It was wonderful. It was so relaxing. We'd take an afternoon break at the hotel every day. And we never actually went on every single attraction and didn't experience every single show on that trip despite being there for 5 days. You'll have an amazing time.

For the past 5 years my daughter and I take a annual trip to Disneyland, this year we are trying Disney World (we will be there 11/10, so excited!)

Even though we haven’t been to Disney World yet, I am finding the biggest change is the planning! I have never planned so much for a vacation in all my life!

We love Disneyland!

A must ”do” is Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. Similar to Tower of Terror, but lively, upbeat and fun with the music and scenes.

Everything is so close at Disneyland, within walking distance, the two parks are close where you can book fast passes and walk back and forth, there is Downtown Disney (similar to Disney Springs) next to the parks, no transportation needed.

Flying into Orange County (SNA) is best, although Long Beach is fine also and is fairly close where Uber or Lyft is not that much. There is no Magical Express.

I recommend staying at the Grand Californian Hotel, although a bit expensive, worth the convenience (the other two Disney Resorts are fine also, just a bit further distance).

Weather is great year round most of the time!

Disneyland has no Magic Bands, and no pre booking of Fast passes, so you cannot book your fastpass until you walk though the turnstiles. Then it’s one at a time until you use it or 1.5 hours go by (best to set a alarm on your phone).
Booking fast passes with your mobile will require purchase of a “Maxpass“ which is $15 per day per person extra (don’t like that!).

Food is okay at Disneyland. I feel Disney World has a far better variety. I still would recommend advance reservations.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

You will love DL if you love WDW. There are differences, but both are so fun. I think the food is much better at DL, especially counter service options. To your "run down and dirty" comment, I think DL actually does a better job of general maintenance like paint but probably a worse job of cleaning and keeping the restrooms tidy. The CMs are a little more relaxed at DL too so you don't quite get that level of cult-like sweetness you get at WDW, but most CMs are still great. I love to check out the differences too, like rides that are similar but not the same and rides with the same name that are completely different. You may feel like your are in 'bizarro-world" when you are first at DL - wait, shouldn't Big Thunder be on the other side of the river? - but you will get used to it. I think you should absolutely give it a try!

We did Disneyland in June because heard it's easier with younger kids. Growing up my parents took us to Disneyworld multiple times but it's changed too much for me to say these days. We had a one day pass to Magic Kingdom on one of our earlier Disney cruises and it was fun. We found Disneyland to be clean, the Paradise Pier hotel staff to be friendly (though never texted us to let us know the room was ready and there was a snafu on our trip back to the airport that the shuttle service blamed on the hotel; not sure who was at fault), walking distances using MaxPass going back and forth across the park didn't tire them out. We stayed much later and walked further than we thought we would...averaged 8.5 miles per day. Temperature wise we sort of got hosed the 1st two days as it hit the mid-90's in June, which was unseasonably warm.

The walk from PP hotel to the gates was a bit of a distance for young legs which made me carry kiddos and wear out my back. The castle did throw me with how short it was. Noticing it did help us win a trivia contest at our hotel as castle's height was the tie-breaking question and we got it within a few feet.

Great advice in this thread.

I'm a long time WDW vet who converted to DLR in 2014. DLR has this intangible factor that I can't define. You have to attend to feel it. Some people think it's Walt's presence. I don't know what it is. It's just special.

Here's my opinion.

2008 WDW > 2008 DLR
2019 DL >>> 2019 WDW

It doesn't even come close. WDW has changed. Everything has to be planned - food, rides, etc. It's a chore to attend WDW with the new FP system and the dining reservations being required a decade before your visit.

WDW used to have decent prices for their value resorts, too, and now they're highly priced. DLR offers excellent prices for hotels that are closer to the parks than any resort at WDW.

There are two ways that I could see a WDW fan being disappointed by DLR:
1. They miss the large Disney bubble that exists at Disney World. Granted, the big Disney bubble at WDW comes with the price of a good hour (or more) of your day being spent on getting to and from the park
2. They are HUGE EPCOT and AK (or even Typhoon Lagoon) fans who cannot do a Disney trip without going to those parks.

My favorite time to attend is March-(pre-Spring break crowds). The weather is wonderful, the spring flowers are blooming, and the crowds are low. If you don't care about crowds, go in October. DL and DCA do Halloween so well.

Lots of info in here so I'll toss in my own opinions/feelings. I grew up with WDW being my park however I moved over to the West coast and I've now visited DL way more often.

WDW for me is a full week of vacation. There's a lot to commit to since there's so many parks but also Universal nearby. So in the past we've used a timeshare (though I don't have access to that anymore) to really settle into a place for the week and devote a day to a park. Not to mention, with the spaciousness of WDW, a car is necessary to get around (I don't drive, so that's a consideration I have that I figured I'd mention). WDW is the full bubble of immersion and I thoroughly enjoy what each park offers. But it does feel more like a getaway (not sure how to describe that feeling) of it being immaculate and a Disney destination. I've done WDW in the summer and during Christmas.

Now DL is my weekend getaway (even though I only go once a year) and I've routinely gone during October (for Halloween). I've usually stayed on-site and the few times that wasn't true, we were very close by and didn't need to rely on public transportation or any kind of transportation. We can rely on just being a hotel or being off in the distance at an AirBnB (though the latter isn't always necessary). Though for me, I will admit, the distance is much shorter whereas for my best friend (who is in NY), we devote 4-5 days so she can bounce back from jetlag and not feel rushed. (Side note, the convenience of being on-site, no need for transportation, and her having the ability to get back to the hotel in case of a work related issue is critical and therefore DL is her preferred park. I still can't get her to go to WDW, even though she's been to Disney Tokyo and Shanghai). DL does feel smaller, tighter, but way more homely in a very good way. It also has that immersion bubble, but more of a smaller park kind of way. So far for each year, the temps have fluctuated (but not the crowds 😩) but for the most part, we're prepared.

Things to note: All of these trips I mention (except the ones where I was a kid with my parents) were traveling with adults, so kids didn't factor into our feelings about the park. In various years, we had to deal with work emergencies to temporary injuries/ailments that couldn't allow for someone to fully participate.

Both are magical, just in different ways.

Disneyland is my home park and preference.

In the end, the biggest differences for me are these:

-Disneyland Resort
Not really a resort.
It’s two parks in a metro area, with the focus being on local Annual Passholders.
Majority of multi-day guests will be taking advantage of hotels outside of Disney Property.
A very walkable experience due to both gates being across a promenade from each other. MaxPass is designed to be used day of trip.

-WDW
Specifically a resort feel and experience, with the focus more on guests from outside of the Orlando area.
Isolated from the surrounding cities, which is what many have referred to as “The Bubble”.
Not walkable due to the spread out nature.
FP+ is designed to be scheduled months in advance.

Those differences, more than anything else in my observation is what’s noticed the most by WDW regulars.

Once in the parks, the differences are mostly about layout and missing or different attractions
The Disney Magic felt the same to me.

I was in DL from Sept 20-26 then flew immediately across to WDW from Sept 26- October 10. So immediate chance to compare both parks back to back

I stayed at Best Western Anaheim Inn, my third time. It's ridiculously convenient, right across the road from the entrance to the Disneyland area. It's very clean and tidy, no issues with the housekeeping, although the decor is a bit tired, lovely staff and the free breakfast every morning was just right, a nice choice of cereals, hot items, pastries etc, plus hot and cold beverages. It's quite a small hotel and every time I've been I've been given a room close to the lobby, which as a solo female, I liked.

As for the differences between DL and WDW, straight off you can walk from the parks to your hotels that are on South Boulevard Harbor or a Disney hotel, be aware that it is a bit of a walk to the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier. There is an entrance at both CA and Downtown Disney for Grand Californian Hotel as well as the main entrance.

I did a 5 day trip to DL and that was about right. I saw everything without rushing and I did have the MaxPass, I paid $10 a day, but, I think it is now $15. I would definitely do it again. You do one FP at a time, however, there was plenty of availability, I loved GOTG and as soon as I swiped my card I went on the MDE (DL) and could get another one for the same ride immediately, in effect I got three within 20 minutes doing this. The MaxPass only works once you have gone into the park, but, if you leave the park for an afternoon rest you can still book FP for later on from your hotel room or DTD. You don't get to chose the time, but, you are given the next time slot available, just like the paper FP, however, if you are given a 2:30pm slot for a ride at 11am you will see a time when you can get your next one, but, that is around an hour after the time you made the FP, so making it at 11am means you can book another from midday. You also get a photopass included. Anyway, I'm sure there are posts that explain it all better. I think it was definitely worth the money.

I think the rides at DL are better than WDW with only Splash Mountain being my solo exception, simply because I don't like the seating. I've only seen the HM in its Nightmare Before Christmas setting and that is fabulous, they make a new gingerbread House for the ballroom every year. Radiator Racers is amazing and the whole of Carsland is fantastic, and I've never seen any of the Cars movies.

Well, to sum up. I found DL far more chilled than WDW, perhaps because it was mainly locals, Aussies and Kiwis when I was there and I didn't get as tired so easily as I do at WDW. I have a trip to WDW booked for next September, but, it's likely I'll cancel that and go back to DL. I would urge everyone to do DL if they want a change.

By the way, the Corn dogs are amazing!!!! And I saw one of the Disneyland cats who came right up to me so I could take a photo of that little beauty. They have a trap, neuter, release program of feral cats for vermin control and this little darling lives at CA, the best time to see her is early evening and while I called over to her to see if she would come closer for a good photo (she did, yay!!) she is not a domestic cat that you can try and pet and definitely not feed, just lovely to look at.

Attachments

• P1140295.JPG
    P1140295.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P1140354.JPG
    P1140354.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 22
thank you
Re: dirty and run down. There are beggars outside the gates, everyone just ignores them. They aren't on Disney property, so Disney can do nothing about them, I've never seen any of them get aggressive. There were some guys also selling ice cold bottles of water outside the gates for a dollar apiece, 16oz Walmart value brand. Fair play to them, they probably paid 4c a bottle as they were in the giant multipacks. I bought a bottle on my first day and it was fine, so I bought a bagful straight from the multipack for the rest of my trip at a quarter of Disney prices. Nothing wrong with a bit of entrepreneurial ism, fair play to them, better than begging for money, just ask them for bottles from an unopened multipack if you aren't sure, they were happy to do it for me.

Here's the Hydroguy thread I mentioned --> https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/

DL does not have Magical Express like WDW does from the airport. So if you're not renting a car, you need to arrange for your own airport transfers. The Santa Ana airport is the closest to Anaheim distance-wise. A lot of people like flying into the Long Beach airport. LAX often ends up being cheapest in terms of airfare, but the biggest hassle in terms of time you need to allow getting to/from there.

You may encounter folks who might say that 3 days is plenty at DL and more than that is too much. I personally disagree. Our favorite DL trip so far as been the time we stayed 6 nights at Hojo's and had 5-day park hopper tickets. It was wonderful. It was so relaxing. We'd take an afternoon break at the hotel every day. And we never actually went on every single attraction and didn't experience every single show on that trip despite being there for 5 days. You'll have an amazing time.
I used the Disneyland Resort Express again, $49, which for a single person is the cheapest and safest way. I booked ahead and was given very clear instructions of how to pick it up right outside the terminal. The bus turned up on time, but, unfortunately, the wheelchair lift broke and we had to wait for the next bus an hour later, an unforeseen circumstance that couldn't be helped. The next bus also came promptly and it took 90 minutes to get to BWAI, but, the driver was very helpful, dropping me off right outside my hotel and showing me where to pick up the return bus. That also turned up as expected and both to and from LAX to Anaheim went smoothly

You can book the DRE if you book your trip with Disney itself, but, only for US guests. I did mine via this site.
https://dre.coachusa.com/
Just be aware, if you chose this method, that it will be a coach that has Toy Story characters or a large white coach with a sign in the window. Ignore the shuttle minivan drivers who drive past the bus stops who claim to be DRE, they aren't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!