Disneyland was Fantastic!!!

phyllis1966

Something witty
Hi all - we just got home from our trip at 2:30 this morning :sad1: - we are tired, but we had a terrific time. We first went to San Diego for 3 days. The weather was as perfect as we had heard! We did some sightseeing the first day, then Seaworld and the Zoo. The Loews Coronado Bay Resort was beautiful and we would definitely return (and probably will!).

On Day 4 we drove to the Grand Californian and it was just as beautiful as it looked when Samantha Brown from Great Hotels was there! We will be returning there, as well (hopefully in 2 years!). It was full of families, the pools were great and the proximity to everything can't be beat!

I have to say that although we've been to WDW 5 times (4 times in the last 3 years with DD (now 6 years old)), and we love WDW, we are now lovers of DL as well! In fact, DH and I really couldn't understand why some people are disappointed when they finally get to DL. It may be smaller, but with all the attractions, it really doesn't seem smaller at all - it just seemed like it took a little less time to get around than at WDW. It is so quaint, so full of detail, and New Orleans Square was my favorite area. PofC is awesome, Peter Pan is awesome, and DD was excited to find some rides that she's never experienced before.

We followed the 2-day touring plan for families with young children (from the Unofficial Guide) and we were relaxed yet saw everything of importance to a 6-year-old in the first 3 hours of each day - what a godsend! By 11 am the parks were quite crowded, and in the evenings they were mobbed in some areas, but in 4 1/2 days we saw it all, even riding some rides twice in a row and going back to our favorites. CA was also fun (we spent 1 full day there), but DL was naturally our preferred destination for most days.

Our next trip will probably be back to WDW, but we will absolutely be returning to DL in the not-so-distant future!

As a seasoned WDW visitor, who is taking their first DL trip next month, that is great to hear.
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. :cool1:

That is so great that you had such a wonderful time! It is so nice to hear of a WDW vet enjoying Disneyland as you did. We certainly enjoy both parks and are couting the days until our September DL visit!

Did you get to see the Disney All-American Band perform (sorry, but I can't help but ask everyone-forgive me!). They're at the Flag Retreat ceremony, in front of the castle, and before the parade.

Glad you had such a wonderful trip !- haven't been to DL since DS was 5 mo - 16 years ago. Am planning a trip with DNeph (7) for end of next summer and planning very close to what you did - 3 days in SD for the zoo and sea world - one day at LegoLand (the boy loves legos !!) - and 4 - 5 days in DL, hoping older DNeph (30) will come down from Santa Barbara where he's now living and meet us in DL- we miss him.

Was also looking at Loews Coronado - how long/easy a drive was it to get to SW and the SD zoo from there?
Did you fly in/out of SD or LAX?

bjakmom said:
Was also looking at Loews Coronado - how long/easy a drive was it to get to SW and the SD zoo from there?
Did you fly in/out of SD or LAX?

The ride to both places was quick (about 15 minutes each) and easy. I just Mapquested each trip before I left for California and took all the maps with me. Each address is listed in each official website.

We flew into SD Friday morning and rented a car (shuttle buses take you to whichever rental co. you choose). We drove up to Anaheim Monday morning after a yummy buffet breakfast at Loews (kids buffet is free with an adult buffet!) and I checked into the GC (loved it!) while DH dropped off the car at John Wayne airport, which is also where we flew out of on Friday afternoon.

Loews Coronado Bay Resort is terrific! DD(6) loved the goodie bag they gave her at check-in: a treasure map of things to look for around the resort, bubbles, pencil, pad and stickers decorated with tropical fish, and a lollipop. It's a very family-oriented place and we really enjoyed our stay there.

Simba's Mom said:
Did you get to see the Disney All-American Band perform (sorry, but I can't help but ask everyone-forgive me!). They're at the Flag Retreat ceremony, in front of the castle, and before the parade.

No, we didn't - how did we miss that? We sat and waited 45 minutes for the parade, but there was no band :confused3 .

I think the parade is twice a day, and the band only plays before one of the parades. Also, they don't perform 2 days a week.

Thanks phyllis1966 - that sounds perfect - I like to stay at Loews to keep up my gold status and it looks beautiful! That's what I'm thinking of, too, flying into SD and out of John Wayne - we'll see how the flights go next year !

I'm so thrilled you has such a wonderful time. We had our first family visit to WDW this Spring, and although I LOVED WDW, DL still is my special favorite. And I can't wait - only one more week until we go!

Don't know if you'll see this before you leave, but the weather was as perfect as it could be: 79 - 83 degrees and sunny every day, and no humidity!!! The nights got a tiny bit chilly, and most nights we needed long sleeves after sundown.

I have one question. My husband and I did about what you did, but we stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado. Did you see that hotel and can you tell me the differences of the two hotels. It was so wonderful with my husband, but I was wondering if the Loews might be better for the kids.

We were at the Del last year with our kids (2 boys then 12 and 3) and we love it so much we're going back this year (next week!). We will spend 3 nights at the Del and then drive up to Anaheim for the week. They are very child friendly there. We ate dinner at the Prince of Whales, which is the fine dining restaurant. They were so wonderful with the boys. They even made something special for my little one. We're eating there again on this trip. They are used to families there. Have no fear. You will love it.

That is so great because we loved the Del though the Loews looked nice and I have heard that it is more kid friendly. Thanks for the input.

meandthree said:
I have one question. My husband and I did about what you did, but we stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado. Did you see that hotel and can you tell me the differences of the two hotels. It was so wonderful with my husband, but I was wondering if the Loews might be better for the kids.

We actually visited the Del one morning for a buffet breakfast in the Crown room - it's a beautiful hotel! I haven't stayed there, though, so I can't really compare the 2 hotels in that way. When you enter the lobby, it has more of an "adults-only," wealthy, antique look to it, IMO, but we saw lots of families there, and the grounds are beautiful. Dh says he'd like to try it the next time we are in San Diego.

Here's our funny story about the Del. I read in my Fodor's San Diego tour book about the "sumptuous" Sunday brunch at the Del, so DH and I thought that we, along with DD(6) and MIL & FIL, would enjoy it. So, I made a reservation. When we were seated, we were asked if we'd like champagne or a Mimosa, as they were included. We said yes, then, after the waiter left, DH asked, "How much does this cost if champagne is included?" I answered, "I never asked!" But we're so used to supposedly expensive WDW character breakfasts and such, that I certainly wasn't prepared for the actual cost...When the bill came, we were stunned to see that it's $52.50 pp ($22 for kids)!!! DH apologized to his parents for the next hour, but they just laughed and said "Hey, we're on vacation!" From now on, I'll ask!

Anyway, just from looking around the 2 hotels, my personal preference is the Loews (concerning kids) as they did appear to be more kid-friendly ( and there were definitely many more kids than at the Del). It's certainly more affordable, if that's a concern. We paid $227/night for the best standard-room view (before the suites and such), the room was big, the food was great, and it's a much more casual-feeling resort. When we moved on to the Grand Californian (gorgeous!), the room was pretty much the same spacious size for $100 more per night, so we really felt that we got a terrific deal at the Loews for a luxury resort. I had read that the rooms at the Del were on the smaller side, since the resort is so much older - did you find that to be the case?

The Del's rooms were actually pretty spacious. We absolutely loved the GC also. In fact, these WDW nuts are going back to DL for spring break instead of WDW in March. Can you believe that in March the rooms are considered Value season. It will still be higher than normal since everyone is going back to DL for the anniversary, but I loved the ease of the GC and the whole staff was unbelievable. They did so many little extras for us that I couldn't stand not going back for Spring Break. Plus I love the weather!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter