Disneyland will sell alcohol for the first time when Star Wars land opens in 2019

dina444444

DIS Veteran
Disneyland will sell liquor in public areas for the first time in its 63-year history, officials announced Thursday, Aug. 30, though it will really only be sold in outer space, also known as the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge when it opens next year.

This move marks a huge break in precedent, because Walt Disney opposed selling liquor in his creation. He wanted it to be a wholesome, family experience. However, booze and cocktails have been big money-makers at Disneyland’s sister theme park, Disney California Adventure, which opened in 2001, where the cocktail menu even changes with the seasons.

Visitors who want to get a drink can only find one inside the new Star Wars land’s Oga’s Cantina, among aliens, from a special menu of proprietary beer, wine and outer space themed cocktails. They must be consumed inside the cantina only, leaving the rest of the park alcohol-free, except for the exclusive private Club 33, which also offers liquor to its members.

Disneyland will sell liquor in public areas for the first time in its 63-year history, officials announced Thursday, Aug. 30, though it will really only be sold in outer space, also known as the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge when it opens next year.

This move marks a huge break in precedent, because Walt Disney opposed selling liquor in his creation. He wanted it to be a wholesome, family experience. However, booze and cocktails have been big money-makers at Disneyland’s sister theme park, Disney California Adventure, which opened in 2001, where the cocktail menu even changes with the seasons.

Visitors who want to get a drink can only find one inside the new Star Wars land’s Oga’s Cantina, among aliens, from a special menu of proprietary beer, wine and outer space themed cocktails. They must be consumed inside the cantina only, leaving the rest of the park alcohol-free, except for the exclusive private Club 33, which also offers liquor to its members.

The new Star Wars land is being carved out of a portion of Frontierland, and will include two new dark rides as well as a themed planetary experience. It’s expected to open in summer 2019. Visitors can see construction that is well underway by standing on the roof of the Mickey & Friends parking garage.

“Oga’s Cantina is the kind of establishment that attracts some of the most interesting and disreputable characters in the galaxy,” Disney Imagineer Scott Trowbridge said in a prepared statement. “And you never know when a stormtrooper or a familiar face will show up. Patrons of the cantina come from across the galaxy to sample the famous concoctions created with exotic ingredients using “otherworldly” methods, served in unique vessels. With choices for kids and libations for adults, the cantina will make for a great stop!”

Source

Except...not sure if I care. I'll be priced out of Disney vacations in a few years anyway.
I fret that day so much. I just hope I can go on tron before that happens. I can probably do galaxys edge I just need to suck it up and get in the standby queue for the land itself just like I did with Potter phase 1 a month after that opened. Then the six hour queues for each ride and hour long queue for each gift shop and I know that’ll be my only day there as it’ll become more expensive from there on out and I’ll never be able to properly experience it :sad:

Am I the only one smelling cut onions in here?

I, for one, am disappointed in the spreading of alcohol through the parks. It's just a money grab -- again -- by Disney. I get it; it's high margin. But, that still doesn't make it right. The parks are for families. Glad I had the chance to take my kids before this all started.

It was technically already in the park at Club 33, plus there are dozens of places within walking distance where you can drink and then enter the park. I guess I don't see much difference between being able to have a couple drinks in the Cantina or a Downtown Disney/hotel/DCA restaurant aside from not having to walk through a turnstile.

I, for one, am disappointed in the spreading of alcohol through the parks. It's just a money grab -- again -- by Disney. I get it; it's high margin. But, that still doesn't make it right. The parks are for families. Glad I had the chance to take my kids before this all started.

Here we go again with the notion that alcoholic drink availability makes a place non family friendly.

Psst...I can have several drinks in DCA or Downtown Disney and then walk 50 yards into DL. Nothing is going to change at Disneyland if they start selling alcohol. Nothing. It is already for sale in 50+ locations within walking distance of Disneyland.

I also have kids. I drink sometimes. My husband drinks a few times a week. It has zero impact on our kids. We drink responsibly, like the vast majority of people who consume alcohol.

Here we go again with the notion that alcoholic drink availability makes a place non family friendly.

Psst...I can have several drinks in DCA or Downtown Disney and then walk 50 yards into DL. Nothing is going to change at Disneyland if they start selling alcohol. Nothing. It is already for sale in 50+ locations within walking distance of Disneyland.

I also have kids. I drink sometimes. My husband drinks a few times a week. It has zero impact on our kids. We drink responsibly, like the vast majority of people who consume alcohol.
I can't help but feel that the people who are being uptight about it tend to be those who treat Disneyland like it's Mecca, and that Walt was the prophet, while conveniently ignoring the fact that WDW broke that precedent starting with Epcot back in 1982. I'm a loyal Disney fan and yet I don't mind a tipple in any Disney Park, because at least I'm a responsible drinker and not like those types who treat Epcot like it's Ibiza.

I actually really liked the last time I was at DW and getting a drink with the meal included. They were very weak "vacation drinks". They just made it seem nice. I just cant see people getting drunk at Magic Kingdom and such (people that drink only to get drunk rarely are the magic kingdom type). If any exception it is Epcot where it is a game to drink there and has been a while and I dont see it any less family friendly.

Offering a service people have asked for is a money grab?

There has ALWAYS been alcohol at Disneyland. For as puritanical and saint-like as people like to deify him, Walt just created a class system so that only the elite could drink it.

Offering a service people have asked for is a money grab?

There has ALWAYS been alcohol at Disneyland. For as puritanical and saint-like as people like to deify him, Walt just created a class system so that only the elite could drink it.

Walt was also pretty well known to be an alcoholic when he was alive. His favorite drink was a Scotch Mist, and he used to have his secretary make them for him at work.

I think there will be more places for alcohol in Disneyland over a period of time just as there are now several in MK when it was originally restricted to BOG. I don't see any issues with it at MK and because we don't eat at the restaurants that serve alcohol it never even occurs to me.

I see nothing wrong with having a few drinks but it's interesting when I think back to what many people said in the past. Alcohol would never come to MK but if course it did. Then many commented that at least Disneyland didn't allow it and now that's going away. Things are changing very rapidly now and I can't help but wonder what the parks will be like in 10 years.

I don't like this at all. Walt had a good reason not to sell alcohol and Club 33 was built to cater to business clientele, not the general public.

I can't understand why one place can't be alcohol-free. And yes, I do drink on occasion, just don't see the need to change DL's policy when it's easily available close by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter