Disneyland will sell alcohol for the first time when Star Wars land opens in 2019

So either we are on board with Walt's original plan or not. If not, please tear down COP as it is beyond dated and in shambles. Same for Tomorrowland Speedway.

I don't think we have to be all in on one or the other. Part of Walt's legacy projects should be maintained for their historical relevance, especially at WDW where there is space to do so. Other parts of his legacy should and will be adapted to the times we live in. I'm not real thrilled about offering alcohol at MK or DL. I despise EPCOT on Food and Wine weekends. I doubt MK or DL will devolve to that kind of debacle. But... I don't think it's the end of Walt's world to offer alcohol in moderation at MK and DL.

CoP is fun. It's still a unique attraction that could stand some serious updating, but it's something I think worthy of preserving because there is nothing else like it, that I know of, anywhere. I feel the opposite with TomorrowLand Speedway. There is something like it, and generally better done, pretty much everywhere, so I wouldn't be upset if it went.

Alcohol in MK and DL? Not my favorite thing. But so long as it is maintained in just a few places, like sit down restaurants and Galaxies Edge, it won't bother me. I've used the dining plan in the past. We probably won't ever do it again. Not only does it no longer make sense for us, but we don't drink much alcohol. So boosting the price, while adding alcohol drinks, just makes it even less attractive for us.

But to tie alcohol and CoP and Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt's legacy together? Seems a bit too dramatic to me.

I don't think we have to be all in on one or the other. Part of Walt's legacy projects should be maintained for their historical relevance, especially at WDW where there is space to do so. Other parts of his legacy should and will be adapted to the times we live in. I'm not real thrilled about offering alcohol at MK or DL. I despise EPCOT on Food and Wine weekends. I doubt MK or DL will devolve to that kind of debacle. But... I don't think it's the end of Walt's world to offer alcohol in moderation at MK and DL.

CoP is fun. It's still a unique attraction that could stand some serious updating, but it's something I think worthy of preserving because there is nothing else like it, that I know of, anywhere. I feel the opposite with TomorrowLand Speedway. There is something like it, and generally better done, pretty much everywhere, so I wouldn't be upset if it went.

Alcohol in MK and DL? Not my favorite thing. But so long as it is maintained in just a few places, like sit down restaurants and Galaxies Edge, it won't bother me. I've used the dining plan in the past. We probably won't ever do it again. Not only does it no longer make sense for us, but we don't drink much alcohol. So boosting the price, while adding alcohol drinks, just makes it even less attractive for us.

But to tie alcohol and CoP and Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt's legacy together? Seems a bit too dramatic to me.
Excellent points. I was just pointing out how some fall on "It was one of Walt's original rides" when it gets brought up that the ride is dated and needs changed or replaced, but when others say Walt didn't want alcohol sold then "Walt is dead, move on with the times."

I am with you on your post. If they sell it with meals I am good with that. When EPCOT becomes an open bar not so much.

I don't believe selling alcohol at DL will result in mass drunkenness. That wasn't my point. It was Walt had a choice whether or not to sell it during the 11 years he was alive and DL was open and he chose not to. There was alcohol sold from time to time outside the park, i.e. Holidayland, so it's always been accessible for those who want a drink, just not within the confines of the actual park. There are some things that I'd like to see maintained as they were during Walt's time and this is one of them. If that irks some people, then so be it.

So when will they start selling chewing gum?

Sounds good to me. Like someone else said, if selling alcohol (where the margins are high) in DL park helps offset price increases for food and drink for everyone, that's great.

If I'm already paying $$$$ "quarter portions" for my Boba(Fett) Tea or a Han (Solo) Cup of lemonade, the least they can do is offer to put a shot of Darth Vodka in there.

Sounds good to me. Like someone else said, if selling alcohol (where the margins are high) in DL park helps offset price increases for food and drink for everyone, that's great.

If I'm already paying $$$$ "quarter portions" for my Boba(Fett) Tea or a Han (Solo) Cup of lemonade, the least they can do is offer to put a shot of Darth Vodka in there.
Same girl! If I'm going to have a super sugary beverage may as well get a light buzz out of it.

If I have to drink vodka in Galaxy’s Edge, my preference is Absolobot - even though all things considered I’d really just rather have Chewbacardi.

Now as to the whole alcohol policy question under debate - I think it’s safe to say that all the other Disney parks that sell drinks haven’t descended into chaos and DL won’t either. Which means that the only reasons to stay dry are out of principle or tradition. But the principle was to distinguish DL when it opened from all those family-unfriendly, beer-soaked carnivals - not having alcohol was a selling point. I think we can agree that Disney succeeded wildly in that regard - maybe even so well that “family-friendly” and “alcohol free” are synonymous for many when it comes to the parks. Now? Having alcohol is a selling point - although I have no doubt that if alcohol sales seriously started to harm the parks’ image, the policy would get reserved in a heartbeat. So that leaves tradition - which (agree or disagree) is always on the chopping block when the bottom line is in play.

Disneyland will sell liquor in public areas for the first time in its 63-year history, officials announced Thursday, Aug. 30, though it will really only be sold in outer space, also known as the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge when it opens next year.

This move marks a huge break in precedent, because Walt Disney opposed selling liquor in his creation. He wanted it to be a wholesome, family experience. However, booze and cocktails have been big money-makers at Disneyland’s sister theme park, Disney California Adventure, which opened in 2001, where the cocktail menu even changes with the seasons.

Visitors who want to get a drink can only find one inside the new Star Wars land’s Oga’s Cantina, among aliens, from a special menu of proprietary beer, wine and outer space themed cocktails. They must be consumed inside the cantina only, leaving the rest of the park alcohol-free, except for the exclusive private Club 33, which also offers liquor to its members.

Disneyland will sell liquor in public areas for the first time in its 63-year history, officials announced Thursday, Aug. 30, though it will really only be sold in outer space, also known as the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge when it opens next year.

This move marks a huge break in precedent, because Walt Disney opposed selling liquor in his creation. He wanted it to be a wholesome, family experience. However, booze and cocktails have been big money-makers at Disneyland’s sister theme park, Disney California Adventure, which opened in 2001, where the cocktail menu even changes with the seasons.

Visitors who want to get a drink can only find one inside the new Star Wars land’s Oga’s Cantina, among aliens, from a special menu of proprietary beer, wine and outer space themed cocktails. They must be consumed inside the cantina only, leaving the rest of the park alcohol-free, except for the exclusive private Club 33, which also offers liquor to its members.

The new Star Wars land is being carved out of a portion of Frontierland, and will include two new dark rides as well as a themed planetary experience. It’s expected to open in summer 2019. Visitors can see construction that is well underway by standing on the roof of the Mickey & Friends parking garage.

“Oga’s Cantina is the kind of establishment that attracts some of the most interesting and disreputable characters in the galaxy,” Disney Imagineer Scott Trowbridge said in a prepared statement. “And you never know when a stormtrooper or a familiar face will show up. Patrons of the cantina come from across the galaxy to sample the famous concoctions created with exotic ingredients using “otherworldly” methods, served in unique vessels. With choices for kids and libations for adults, the cantina will make for a great stop!”

Source
Woohoo! Tried to buy an drink there once... Only alcoholic drinks are sold at the California adventure (Carthaway circle or the winery that's placed over there). Cant wait to return and try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter