Disney's $1 billion dollar bet on magical wristband - Wired

Wired loves tech and the magic band, no matter where you stand on its use and implementation,is cool from a tech point of view, so Wired will be pro MB.

Wired is owned by Conde Nast, a magazine empire.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condé_Nast_Publications
I'm pretty sure that bob Iger has regular interviews with vanity fair and other outlets of this company so disney is well involved in this company. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney had some push in this article especially because MyMagic+ and magicbands were closer to two billion not one.

I'm pretty sure that bob Iger has regular interviews with vanity fair and other outlets of this company so disney is well involved in this company. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney had some push in this article especially because MyMagic+ and magicbands were closer to two billion not one.

Disney knows how to get positive press but it isn't because they own the magazine.

From the article on cost:
All these vignettes playing out on the soundstage were a way of getting Disney’s board of directors to sign off on the $1 billion cost of deploying the full system. That number would turn out to be low, but the dress rehearsal worked.​

Disney knows how to get positive press but it isn't because they own the magazine.

From the article on cost:
All these vignettes playing out on the soundstage were a way of getting Disney’s board of directors to sign off on the $1 billion cost of deploying the full system. That number would turn out to be low, but the dress rehearsal worked.​
I know disney doesn't own the magazine. I'm just saying they have a relationship with the company. MyMagic+ was over budget. I know there are no official things that say that but why would Disney admit something over budget. Shanghai Disneyland is over budget but they aren't admitting that either.

Additionally, this article contains no negatives about the technology. The guests are happy, Disney's happy, everyone is happy. Oh, and the system works flawlessly. I remember when ADR's opened for BOG last month and the Disney website collapsed. This is a propaganda peice: everything is positve, no negatives.

I think we have to take it for what it is worth. I don't think we need to look at it as propaganda. Yes it paints a picture that is better than it actually is but the whole point is that Disney has made a point to make things more streamlined and magical at the same time. As adults, we see the system crashing and how the fast past system creates problems but as kids and kids at heart to just let it go and think that magic is the reason that things happen is part of the fun. Imagine telling your kid that they know what food he/she likes and where we are sitting because tinkerbell has been following us and told them. Seeing them light up because of that is amazing. And on the adult side, how cool is it that they have that ability. My cell phone sometimes thinks I am roaming in a different country when I am in my backyard, but disney knows exactly where I am and puts my favourite sandwich in front of me. That is pretty cool!!! Everything in life has its flaws. My car has more computers than a space ship and can prevent me from having an accident because of all the science and tech in it. However, last month it wouldn't start because of one of those sensors. Does that now make the technology not cool or good. No. It is still cool and useful, it is just flawed.

I was watching the BBC news yesterday and they were talking about how the Apple Watch is new technology but it's sounded like it's not new as they mentioned the same chips that are found in the Magicbands, I came away quite impressed that Disney seem to be looking forward to evolving technology ie credit card transactions etc.

The money spent on FP+ and Magic Bands could've been spent on new attractions. IMO, children's eyes light up at WDW when they go on attractions of meet characters. I really don't think kids care about the wonderous new technology. Also, if this article had been fair or balanced, in other words discussing the positives and negatives, i wouldn't have an issue. But this article has no credibility since it is nothing more than Disney promootional material.

Everyone agree with Staggs?

“It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.”

Didn't think so.

I enjoyed reading the article. It gives a lot of good insight into the development of the whole MB technology and how its implemented. For the technical info alone, this is worth reading.

As far as implementation goes, that's not the point of the Wired article. Wired is all about technology. If the technology isn't well implemented then you have a story thats better placed in a non-technical setting, not at Wired.

If Staggs said it killed spontaneity, I might agree. This statement makes absolutely no sense. What's he trying to say?

I read that quote as he's actually saying that FP+ leads to more spontaneity.

I must say I see where you're coming from Cormoran. A billion dollars could have made a huge impact on Hollywood Studios. Considering that New Fantasyland cost an estimated $425 million and the attractions/landscapng is fantastic.
Stags isn't making a good impression with stupid comments like that. The whole reason for Fastpass+ is geared mostly for quests will to plan ahead not spontaneous trips.

Additionally, this article contains no negatives about the technology. The guests are happy, Disney's happy, everyone is happy. Oh, and the system works flawlessly. I remember when ADR's opened for BOG last month and the Disney website collapsed. This is a propaganda peice: everything is positve, no negatives.

The "reviews" of the system were always gonna be about as unpredictable as a Russian election...

I'm actually surprised it works as well as it does and rolled out when it did.
Disney might be the worse company with money as far as computer networking goes...their history is awful.

But it was always gonna be a "big hit"

The money spent on FP+ and Magic Bands could've been spent on new attractions. IMO, children's eyes light up at WDW when they go on attractions of meet characters. I really don't think kids care about the wonderous new technology. Also, if this article had been fair or balanced, in other words discussing the positives and negatives, i wouldn't have an issue. But this article has no credibility since it is nothing more than Disney promootional material.

The system was about limiting staff, maximizing out of pocket spending, and automating the traditional guest service process in an attempt to make it mandatory/dumbed down.

Attractions don't lead to any of those goals...limiting them does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter